The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-03-2010, 07:59 PM   #26
1stchevy

Re: Possible wheel choices

Go with the American racing wheels in the 2nd picture. It's a timeless design.
1stchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:10 PM   #27
tantrumpipeline
Master Procrastinator

those rallies are my favourite now, but I'm on somewhat of a budget so they're outta my league, same for the billets, super nice though, thanks for the input, as for tire size I think N2TRUX as you say your friend wishes he went 20's all around, I think I'm going to go 255/45zr20 all around with 20x8.5 and use a 1inch billet spacer in the back to push them out right, don't like the idea of different sizes for rotating and everything.
77 2wd short fleet beater
52 short project
tantrumpipeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:28 PM   #28
jocko

i guess i have to say that i'm a fuddy duddy with kcsa75... (yes, that's right, I called you a fuddy duddy kcsa! And be proud of it, I am, it's meant as a compliment!!) I am a died in the wool cragar s/s fan (the originals, not the new ones).

But that brings up a basic question - truck type - someone mentioned above that the direction the truck goes will help decide the wheels. But even if the finished truck is a long way off - if you know exactly what you want to do with it, then probably ok to get wheels/tires now. (and I do believe that something as simple as new wheels/tires laying in the corner of the garage help to motivate us all to git r done, ya know?) I DO think it is great advice from above to make sure you consider the tires you will mount on the wheels BEFORE you buy the wheels. Sometimes harder to find the rubber you like if you're picky (like me...).

So, if truck type that you like is something with 18-22" wheels, then you have my vote for rim #1 - i think it's a good looking wheel. The 2nd wheel is nice, but I am starting to see them everywhere (and they DO look like 'stang wheels, I agree). So if maybe something a little different is in order, I'd go with #1.

But if you want to join kcsa and myself in the fuddy duddy club, grab some 15" cragars or go 70's and mount some cool ol spun aluminum centerlines (haven't seen those in a while - trust me, ther're coming BACK!!). Now, with all that rambling - you may notice that all I run on my beater is plain ol stock steelies with a cap. Currently have 59 impala poverty caps on it (i.e. not what's in the picture) and I really like em. To me, there's something special about using old parts that one scrounges from a swap meet (notice I didn't say inexpensive, they never are...) Anyway, best of luck with your truck, I really like it and any of the wheels you're considering will look great on it.

And pls forgive me for forum jumping, I'm a 66 chev guy (but used to own an old hugger orange 72 cheyenne, so I'm reminiscing over here.)

Last edited by jocko; 11-03-2010 at 08:29 PM.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:39 PM   #29
tantrumpipeline
Master Procrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
i guess i have to say that i'm a fuddy duddy with kcsa75... (yes, that's right, I called you a fuddy duddy kcsa! And be proud of it, I am, it's meant as a compliment!!) I am a died in the wool cragar s/s fan (the originals, not the new ones).

But that brings up a basic question - truck type - someone mentioned above that the direction the truck goes will help decide the wheels. But even if the finished truck is a long way off - if you know exactly what you want to do with it, then probably ok to get wheels/tires now. (and I do believe that something as simple as new wheels/tires laying in the corner of the garage help to motivate us all to git r done, ya know?) I DO think it is great advice from above to make sure you consider the tires you will mount on the wheels BEFORE you buy the wheels. Sometimes harder to find the rubber you like if you're picky (like me...).

So, if truck type that you like is something with 18-22" wheels, then you have my vote for rim #1 - i think it's a good looking wheel. The 2nd wheel is nice, but I am starting to see them everywhere (and they DO look like 'stang wheels, I agree). So if maybe something a little different is in order, I'd go with #1.

But if you want to join kcsa and myself in the fuddy duddy club, grab some 15" cragars or go 70's and mount some cool ol spun aluminum centerlines (haven't seen those in a while - trust me, ther're coming BACK!!). Now, with all that rambling - you may notice that all I run on my beater is plain ol stock steelies with a cap. Currently have 59 impala poverty caps on it (i.e. not what's in the picture) and I really like em. To me, there's something special about using old parts that one scrounges from a swap meet (notice I didn't say inexpensive, they never are...) Anyway, best of luck with your truck, I really like it and any of the wheels you're considering will look great on it.

And pls forgive me for forum jumping, I'm a 66 chev guy (but used to own an old hugger orange 72 cheyenne, so I'm reminiscing over here.)
See for me cost is a major factor at this point and due to my drop spindles I can't go with the 15in steelies or classic style wheel without spending major coin, I would eventually like to get a set of 20inch dodge spares, fill the holes and centre cap them, but until the project is on the road and I can save up, I'm stuck with alloys. That's another reason I'm ordering and getting the wheels together now, need a 16inch minimum to clear the new parts and have a roller, so I may as well get that part out of the way and get the semi fianl wheel/tire choice on it. I think I'm stuck on the 20in 338's in grey with 255/45zr20's, but eventually it'll also have a set of filled dodge steelies with classic repro caps
52 short project
Old 11-04-2010, 03:52 PM   #30
tdp67

#2 looks cool! i have always like the Crager as well. Grew up in the 60's and 70's.

Here is what I have, although they were on it when I bought it.

I don't know what a 338 is. 20"s on a 67 just don't look right. But to each his own, right?
Attached Images

Last edited by tdp67; 11-04-2010 at 03:53 PM.
tdp67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:01 PM   #31
tantrumpipeline
Master Procrastinator

thos elook good, always been a fan of weld's classic styling, but I'm a big wheel fan, like the look of it with low profiles and the additional handling
52 short project
Old 11-04-2010, 10:15 PM   #32
cstm68

those rallies are wasome but i dono if i would go 20'' but they look killer in a 17 or 18 on a pro turing style car
Old 11-04-2010, 10:58 PM   #33
tantrumpipeline
Master Procrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstm68 View Post
those rallies are wasome but i dono if i would go 20'' but they look killer in a 17 or 18 on a pro turing style car
Pretty much settled on the 338's, those rallies are on my lotto wish list, way outta my league, so nice though, I may also have the beginnings of my dodge steelies though as well, have a classified ad for them up here, they would look cool with some vintage caps but the dealer wants a small fortune for them as well, way more options in a wheel than steel in a 3-400dollar a wheel setup IMO. Ordering Grey 338's 20x8.5's with rear spacers, 255/45zr20's, thanks for everyones input though, I think the 338's are getting played out to some degree but the mix of classic and modern wheel is exactly what I want until I can afford some of those rallies
52 short project