The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-14-2003, 08:44 PM   #1
lofat
Rollin' Member

an under the hood question

there is this wire, looks like a ground for something - not sure though. wondering if any one can tell me what it is, and where it should go.

this is on the passenger side of the engine compartment coming out of or bolted to the cab.

lofat productions
lofat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2003, 08:50 PM   #2
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

It is a ground wire, to ground the engine to the body. It bolts to the back of the head.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2003, 08:55 PM   #3
lofat
Rollin' Member

cool - does it have it's own bolt, or does it just go on any bolt with in reach?

i replaced the breather and pvc valve gromets today, and i think i may have knocked it loose.

lofat productions
Old 06-14-2003, 09:11 PM   #4
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

iits a 9/16 head bolt thats about a inch long with one of them washers that have ll the bends in it and it bolts to the head on the edge theres an upper and lower hole it can go to either

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 01:46 AM   #5
lofat
Rollin' Member

well, i ended putting it here for now.

i reached around and could feel the hole where a bolt could go, but no bolt. (i am assuming you have to reach around and that it's not plainly visable.)

i had thought that it had come from here originally because i discovered that this bolt was loose and i thought that might be the source of my burning oil smell (after replacing the gromets which i knew were old and worn). but i niticed right off this did not fit the way it should if that were the correct bolt.

i'll go to the parts store tomorrow and see what's up. who knows maybe the uber cute chick that was there today will be working.

what is the name for that special washer thing?

lofat productions
Old 06-15-2003, 01:49 AM   #6
lofat
Rollin' Member

and i am assuming that this is where i should be looking?

this is where i found the hole where a bolt could go...

by the way - thanks for the responses so far.

lofat productions
Old 06-15-2003, 03:06 AM   #7
allthrtl
Available for Adoption

It's called a star washer or a locking tooth washing, look in the "HELP" section.... Judging by the picture, your oil burning smell is coming from those leaking valve covers, pick up a set of those while your at it....
Old 06-15-2003, 03:33 AM   #8
lofat
Rollin' Member

Thanks. that is my biggest obsticle when i go to parts stores - not knowing the names for things

the help section?

i think the oil was coming from the crappy gromet. but i'll know for sure in a day or so. i was thinking about going for some chrome valve covers if i was going to end up replacing the gaskets. i was just looking for a cheap solution in the meanwhile.

lofat productions
Old 06-15-2003, 05:39 AM   #9
TIMSPEED

Hmm..when do you get that oil burning smell? I have an oil burning smell aswell, mine happens when I give it a little gas (read: 50%-100% throttle). Also, I have a small oil leak in roughly the same area. (I see oil spots on the header collector right there.) I have brand new gaskets throughout. Might it possibly be a crappy seal on my Breather grommet right there?
Old 06-15-2003, 10:46 AM   #10
allthrtl
Available for Adoption

Timspeed, yep I've seen those grommetts leak...But, if your noticing it under heavy accelleration, it's possibly coming from the breather itself. I don't know what your air cleaner set up is, but you might be able to run it back to the air cleaner, similar to stock...

The "Help" section is a section in most chain parts stores where you'll find odd ball parts, (grommets, orings, nuts, bolts, washers and other items) usually they are in red packaging. If you don't find it, just ask for a star washer. Chances are they won't know what it is either, but they should have them,somewhere....
Old 06-16-2003, 08:55 AM   #11
BigRed

Timspeed, just a thought, but you could have bent or warped valve covers too. Some of them are really thin and get misshaped over time. Also, I had a chrome breather on mine for awhile that would spit out oil. You really couldn't see it at idle, but after it was running, you could fill the oil under the breather. I bought a different brand breather and didn't have that problem. Poor design I guess.
Old 06-17-2003, 12:04 AM   #12
tazman

while ypu are messing with the ground strap-- you might make sure that the areas that it attaches to is clean or it will not serve it purpose. also rember that when tighting the valve covers you do not want to over tighted the bolts as you can cut the cork gasket [ splitting it in the center]