The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-05-2010, 09:17 PM   #1
breezy

TBI conv guys talk to me.

I'm gathering info on TBI and can't find a few answers that I have.
I'm going with no EGR will the check engine light be on?
I'm also running A/C do you have to do anything to get it to idle up for the air.
I am also not going to have a VSS will this affect anything.
Form what I have gathered I will need Throttlebody,Intake, Temp sensor,ESC control,Map sensor, ECM,Fuelpump,O2 sensor and harness. Is that it?
I would like to hook the oil pressure switch up to the harness also, but can't seem to figure out how it is wired into the fuel pump wiring.
Thanks for any info.
breezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 08:34 PM   #2
hugger6933

Re: TBI conv guys talk to me.

I'll give this a shot. You can run without a EGR your light will come on. Unless, you have a custom chip burned for your application. You can run a TBI without a VSS. You don't need a TBI specific intake, you can run a conventional aftermarket 4 bbl intake with a TBI adapter. I have rodded several TBI trucks even a dual TBI 'ed 350 s-10. I had a 383 with TBI and alum. heads. It was hot! Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 08:42 PM   #3
hugger6933

also, the custom chip you have made, they can idle up for a/c. The oil pressure is wired into the fuel pump relay so that it will not pump feul unless you have more than 10 psi of oil pressure. That will be done with a 3 prong op switch. Some of the places that burned me chips in the past are street and performance, and turbo city, hepertec. any thing else just ask. Jim
Old 11-06-2010, 09:35 PM   #4
breezy

Hugger thanks for the reply. I was hoping I wouldn't have to get a new chip.I don't want the light on all the time that would just suck since I already have a dome light. HA I'm going to run the TBI intake for clean look. I have the whole system form the same truck so I have brackets for accelerator and tranny detent. Should look real nice. And it was FREE. I also got the fuel lines all the way to the filter and the connector at the return line. These will run down to the frame bracket I also snaged.Did your 383 run OK with the stock TBI or did you get bigger stuff. I've been told it will run lean, but I figured if it pinged at all the computer would retard timing and not melt it down. I have a Q-jet now and it does fine, so I don't see why I would need bigger injectors or anything like that. What do you think. Engine idles smooth with 16" of vacuum so not radical at all.
breezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:06 PM   #5
hugger6933

When I ran that storkewr motor in my s-10 it had A hyd roller cam and a bunch other stuff. It also had the tbi unit off of a 454. It probably would beifet you to have a chip burned for your truck unless it is stock. Even with that a properly tuned chip can do wonders. I had a s10[ use to build tons of them] that had a stock 350 with a 700 and 3.42 gears. I checked my mileage to Little rock, about 100 miles and got20.2 going and 26.8 on the way back with just a chip burn. Jim