The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-04-2010, 12:32 AM   #1
71gmcburb

just bought 1971 GMC burb

I bought this 1971 GMC 'burb off of craigslist for $800. Then i drove it about 250 miles home. Its got a broken windshield and mirror, the 3rd door was held shut with a strap, pass fender was bashed in, no dash lights, only the speedo worked on the dash and the heater didn't work but all in all it was a hell of a trip! lol It ran perfectly the entire way.

1 - Don't sweat the small stuff

2 - Everything is small stuff
71gmcburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:44 AM   #2
71gmcburb

Re: just bought 1971 GMC burb

since i got it home i've replaced the passenger fender and latch for the 3rd door and after a bit of cusing and some drilling i got the new ignition switch in the dash where it belongs the PO lost the original keys so he had a replacment hanging below the dash by its wires

Last edited by 71gmcburb; 11-04-2010 at 12:00 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:38 AM   #3
1956cameo

Sweet suburban! Other than bieng a GMC yours looks like an exact twin of my suburban. What shape is the interior in? What type of motor does it have? What are your plans for it? Looking forward to seeing more progress!

'72 blazer 2wd build

67-72 Factory Big Block Registry
1956cameo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 11:58 AM   #4
71gmcburb

its got the normal rust in the rockers, spare tire well, bottoms of the front doors, and on the bottom of the body. It has a 350 with a 350 turbo trans and is a 2 wheel drive. the interior is in serviceable condition with seat covers on the seats but i need to replace the front seat as the bracket on the drivers side for the seat back and is held in place by a length of PVC pipe and a elbow hat is duck taped to the rear arm rest from the rear seat to the front seat but other than that is in good shape

After that's all fixed i am planning on installing a set of gray seats from a modern burb, installing a digital dash and putting in the door panels for a 72 burb and putting fabric on all metal on the interior and installing a metal floor pan in the back in place of the wood

as for the exterior i am thinking about a 2 tone silver and dark gray with a accent stripe that will run the length of the 'burb of a color that will be also in the interior and a deep tint on the windows. I am planning a 2/3 drop on it and either a 18/20 or 20/22 wheel/tire combo (if any of you have tried large wheels any ideas and info would be appreciated) and down the road i want to install bags under it to slam it down to the ground

Last edited by 71gmcburb; 11-04-2010 at 12:09 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:07 AM   #5
1956cameo

That sounds like a good game plan. Personally I have not had much experience with large tire combos, but there are ALOT of people on here that can help you with questions like that. A good way to see what other people are doing (suspension wise) is to look at build threads. Many of the threads are very detail oriented with alot of pictures. It is almost like looking at step by step manuals.

I don't know why but it seems like alot of really nice old blazers and suburbans come out of the Washington/Oregon area. I can understand the Blazers but not sure why you guys got so lucky having so many burbs as well. Not to mention you guys always get them for cheap!! Also you might want to post pics of your new burb in the burb sub forum where you will get much more appreciation. Out here in the truck forums most guys pass up the burb threads.

'72 blazer 2wd build

67-72 Factory Big Block Registry
1956cameo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 02:25 AM   #6
19723DR

welcome to the Suburban club.

Why is it always the passenger fender? It seem that you have a good burb to start with. There are a quite few build thread in the projects and build section, mine being one of them. Most of the things that apply to the trucks will also work the Suburbans like wheels, tires and suspension stuff. I'm sure if you have any questions someone here can help. Good luck.
98 Chevy short bed DD
97 Z71 3 Door
51 Suburban-S-10 swap
"What other hot rod can you carry 7 of your friends in"
19723DR is offline   Reply With Quote