The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-27-2010, 10:03 PM   #1
Dano69c10

Angry Exhaust system blues!

I need an exhaust system for my 70 SWB 350ci V8 (angled ramhorns) with a turbo 350 tranny (stock linkage). Bought a system on the net and it didn't fit worth a damn. Took my truck to a local shop to have a system done and they ran passenger side headpipe 1/8" to the starter and 1/16" to the gas line. The driver's side leaked at the flange. Took it to another shop and they basically did a hack job also. The pipes hung way to far below the frame rails.

All I need are 2 1/4" headpipes that run to the back of the cab. I can finish off the system after that cab. (I can give more details.)

I'm through dealing with the shops around here. I figure someone with a swb truck like mine and exhaust experience could probably make me a better system than anyone around here.

Thanx
Dano

It ain't yours, if you didn't build it!
Dano69c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:50 PM   #2
trz1000

Re: Exhaust system blues!

That sucks but there's hope, you're in arguably the hot rod capital of the world and I guarantee that there are some top notch exhaust shops in the LA area.

Wish I could give you a recommendation but I'm a 1000 miles out of town. I'm sure some local guys on the board can give you a recommendation but if no one here has anything, go to a couple of car shows this weekend and chat some of the owners up. That's one thing I love about LA, there's a good show every weekend.
trz1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:54 PM   #3
Beat68CST

http://thepowerpros.com/

Don was known to build more power than Comp headers back in the 80's for Pro Stockers.

I know on the site it just shows mostly all motor cycle stuff but they do.

Last edited by Beat68CST; 10-28-2010 at 12:07 AM.
Beat68CST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:49 AM   #4
Dano69c10

Done with shops, trying to find a board member who can make me some head pipes.

Last edited by Dano69c10; 10-29-2010 at 08:51 AM.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:43 AM   #5
Dano69c10

Angry Re: Exhaust system blues!

I give up! I'm just going to go back to my old set of headers and then find some purple hornies or thrush header mufflers.
I'm real disapointed with the problems the ramhorn manifolds gave me. I wanted to go to ramhorns from headers, but I've spent a year and too much money trying to get them to work in my truck.

Old 11-14-2010, 12:06 PM   #6
sjarrett71

Dano, sorry for your problems. There have been literally hundreds of thousands of these trucks running ramhorns without issue. Do you have a special setup or anything?
Old 11-14-2010, 01:16 PM   #7
Boog
laying low

One has to wonder if those lines are run in their right place. We have heard the kits do take some work to make them clear everything right but most seem to think they fit good when done. As far as muffler shops not getting it right then that's just a matter of finding a shop with a lot of experience doing the job.
Used to be able to walk into any auto parts store and buy any one piece of exhaust system or all of it. And they always fit. Do any stores still stock pipes? Wouldn't expect them to stock any pipes for a 40 yr old vehicle but might be able to order them in for you.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 01:17 PM   #8
Sinister
Between Trucks...

Morse Mufflers in Burbank are very good. A little out of your way though.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:05 PM   #9
Dano69c10

No special set-up. I just think the shops around me are staffed by kids who don't know there stuff, or just take the easy way out and do a half-a$$ job. I thought going stock would not pose a problem, but to these guys I might as well have brought in a spaceship. When I have more time I'll make my own custom exhaust. Just want to get my truck back on the road asap. If you guys knew how much I've already spent...
I'm just going to cut my losses and I hope to have my old set of headers and my old system back on this week.

Last edited by Dano69c10; 11-14-2010 at 03:07 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:12 PM   #10
Hubscrub
Cruzin

sorry to hear about you troubles, in my small town there is at least 3 local owned exaust shops here all do good work i just got my 71 done lately and for duels and mufflers was only $225 the last one he done on my monte carlo was put on in my senior year of high school and that was 10-11 years ago and still doing good. So i have never seen the need to buy a "pre made" kit so i can't help you there

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14

Last edited by Hubscrub; 11-14-2010 at 03:13 PM.
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 03:40 PM   #11
rsavage

Last winter, for my Suburban, I bought a Hooker Headers made dual system from Summit for about $200. It is mandrel bent 2 1/2 " aluminized steel. Didn't come with mufflers but did come with clamps, hangars etc. Rear exit behind the rear tires like stock. I used a couple of thrush turbo mufflers. The system fit well and sounds good. They make them for 2WD (slanted Ram Horn exit) and 4X4 (straight down Ram horn exit). If you have a shortbed, you have to cut down the lengths of the exhaust pipes yourself, and you should have a pipe expander (autozone will loan you one) as some of the slip joints were too tight. Might be an option you want to explore. I have a local guy who has bent up systems for my 66 and my 70 shortbed 4X4. I like this kit better because it is mandrel bent and cleaner looking. Cost was about the same, so it wasn't a money saver.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 04:23 PM   #12
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano69c10 View Post
I just think the shops around me are staffed by kids who don't know there stuff
I sympathize, man. It's like the parts guy at my local NAPA auto parts. Every Chevy big block starting with the 348 up through the ZZ572 uses the same plugs. Can the kid behind the counter find em? Nope. Do what I did. Learn to weld and get a 2.5 inch hot rod kit from magnaflow the cut and weld your own.
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:15 PM   #13
406 Q-ship

Sandys Muffler in Culver City (Guldstrands used them), they did nice stuff for those that wanted nice exhaust and were not willing to pay for a fabed mandrel system.

If you can do the system from the cab back then you should have the skill to cut and fit up to the manifolds. Get a bunch of 90°/120°/180° mandrel bent 2 1/4", cut and fit to your specification.

Where patience fails, force prevails

Stapp's Ironical Paradox "The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."
406 Q-ship is offline   Reply With Quote