The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-14-2010, 04:16 PM   #1
kellytheaker

72 chev super cheyenne 4+4 original

I could use some support on an original 72 longbox 4+4 truck . I believe in clean original truck and could use some members input on small improvements to keep it that way. the truck is original southern and rust free . the seat has been covered and the antenna could use some help . The breakdown of glovebox codes would help as far as interior seat and drivetrain . The paint is original and i shoukld be able to interperet that under the hoood on cowl i supect . I am going to need a good supply and education on details of correct fasteners and for instance the clips for the exterior trim - woodgrain body mouldings surrounding the paint treatment - 2 tone . and possibly a rear wire harness stock - someone has wired a hitch and it has a connection panel on the rear bumper area for the wiring of it . I dont believe i want to paint it . just keep it original for the time being and get a new grill and surround and it has a little hit on the bumper that should be addressed . I believe this is the right forum and i consider 72 to be a milestone for GM and the public . I think it was a great product as far as motors and styling for the Model and apologize to all that i might offend for the statement of just 72 , GM trucks have always delivered a great pride of ownership
kellytheaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 04:21 PM   #2
rsavage

Re: 72 chev super cheyenne 4+4 original

Photos. We need photos! Congrats on your find.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:41 AM   #3
kellytheaker

thanks for the response , could use a spot to get all body mounts , My GM dealer not able to get , old stock somewhere? who has the facts . and the body moulding clips , complete . I appreciate the the response from rsavage, but pics will be a bit down the road . who are you using for these items . I know i can buy aftermarket , not interested untill Gm trail is run dry . Parts where are the gm parts guys and tech boys . Thanks
Old 11-15-2010, 11:52 AM   #4
71blksuper4x4
SWB 4x4 Collector

Welcome Kelly, most of the genuine GM parts trail start as soon as you start digging. Some you can still get through parts places, but most you will have to check craigslist or Ebay to get. Just keep in mind that original GM or NOS parts will be around double in price what reproduction parts are and usually will cost more do to shipping when you can locate NOS parts like sheetmetal. The best thing you can do, is becoming a supporting member here for $25/year. That way you can post wtb ads in the classifieds for the parts you need. Good luck in the hunt, most of my great restoration memories start in a junkyard. Trevor
1971 Cheyenne Super 4x4 swb (tilt,tach,buckets, original blue shoulder belts,am/fm,cruise,tow hooks, dealer 8 track)
1972 Cheyenne Super K20 4x4 Custom Camper (tilt, tach, am/fm, tow hooks, bed toolbox, aux gas tank
1972 Cheyenne Super Crew Cab K30 4x4 Duramax, Allison, np205, buckets, tow hooks (CURRENT PROJECT)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=624819
1989 V3500 Crew Cab (454tbi, NV4500, np205)
1970 Chevelle SS (LS5 454,th400,8track,buckets,tach)
:2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (daily driver)

WTB: 1968-70 Cruise Control Lever
71blksuper4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:55 PM   #5
nyncompute

I like the stock look as well. When I got my truck I had a similar goal: To have a nice driver that mostly looked like it did years ago. I did mine a little at a time so I could drive it and fix it alternately.
Problem is, this is a slow, and expensive process. You learn a little at a time.... or you wait to buy, or post an ad for a part to be on the board that isn't reproduced or otherwise available. There isn't just one resource or vendor to get everything. Hey the fun is the hunt right? I mean it's not the destination its the journey... and all that crap.
I think its very helpful to start with a pretty clear idea of what you want and work toward it. I wanted something I was proud of, but not afraid to drive. Also I'm not too hung up on nos parts. I sorta get the nos philosophy for proper fit but it wasn't serving my purposes always.
A big help for me was I acquired lots ( I mean hundreds ) of pics of engine bays, interiors, paint, duct routing, etc. Whatever looked like what I wanted. The experts here are always a help. The knowledge of these years on here is amazing.
Last thing: Become a subscribed member here. The small price you pay will be worth it ten fold when you're able to buy, sell, and seek out parts at will... and support this board!
This is what I started with:

Bad paint, non stock wheels, holes all over. CB antenna. Dirty engine, tacky interior.. etc
This is where I am:
And miles to go before I rest..lol

Last edited by nyncompute; 11-15-2010 at 01:10 PM.
nyncompute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 04:34 PM   #6
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Great looking truck, Nyncompute!

Kellytheaker,

Far and away the best resource is the Parts for Sale section of this board. Be prepared to invest significant portions of your life to the search, and the vendors that sponsor this board are really good too. By the way, if you find something you even remotely think you'll need , better snatch it up because you're not the only one looking. "If you snooze' you lose" is definitely appropriate here.
Posted via Mobile Device
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:29 PM   #7
kellytheaker

thanks for the responses, the body moldings for super cheyenne , the vinyl inset on the mouldings is curling from age and i understand there is nos vinyl siding from station wagons that can be had , any one know of the person that has the inlay please advise . I did speak to a great guy Scott out west from super chevy and he mentioned for cab and rad mounts , you can get a mount that looks factory and is a good mount , i would rather a Gm set please advise and if all fails i will go the aftermarket .
Old 11-15-2010, 09:29 PM   #8
swamp rat

Subscribed!!

I think i got my cab and radiator mounts thru Brothers trucks but most all the venders here are going to be able to help with what you need, check out the vender board, and the used truck parts board. Also there is a 4X4 projects and build thread, that would be a good place to post about your truck.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:55 PM   #9
71swb4x4

You need to do some searches on the board on aftermarket parts. We have some awesome vendors that support this board, that work hard for quality parts. Many of them work with the manufacturers to ensure the aftermarket parts are of high quality. Don't right off "aftermarket" just yet. This day and age there are some great parts. There are some bad ones too, but a little research and you can weed most of the bad ones out.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:08 PM   #10
special-K
Special Order

Welcome to the sight.The truck is a Cheyenne Super.I thought you might want to start off using the correct name.Is it a K/10 or a K/20?Is the SPID (VIN-spec sheet) still on the glovebox door?The color would be listed there,along with the code.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote