The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-15-2010, 10:37 PM   #1
DBear

Maybe a dumb question

how do you identify if you have a internal or external regulated alternator? I am about to wire my 69 K5 and it did not have wiring when I got it.
DBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:42 PM   #2
swamp rat

Re: Maybe a dumb question

Open this link and scroll down to the picture in post 44 and 45 that shows the back of the 2 different alternators and discription..
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=415738&page=2

If your alternator is hooked up to a small black box looking thing (regulator) mounted to the radiator support buy the horn its probably external

In this thread post #9 on the bottom pic shoes the wireing diagran and the modification to the regulator plug. Just below the alternator shows the brown and read wire being looped back into the regulator plug.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=417872

Both these threads will shead a lot of light.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's

Last edited by swamp rat; 11-15-2010 at 11:26 PM.
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:46 PM   #3
McClinton527

There should be a regulator that runs in conjunction with the wire harness out of the cab and the alternator. If your going one wire It all can be eliminated. When you make the one wire swap there's a specific GM one wire alternator you must use. It will have a couple studs off one end of it that accept eyelit style connectors with nuts, (often metric). I believe the standard alternator has a plug receiver on it that is designed to have the harness plug in to from the regulator. Good luck
McClinton527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:41 PM   #4
DBear

[QUOTE=McClinton527;4296867]There should be a regulator that runs in conjunction with the wire harness out of the cab and the alternator. If your going one wire It all can be eliminated. When you make the one wire swap there's a specific GM one wire alternator you must use. It will have a couple studs off one end of it that accept eyelit style connectors with nuts, (often metric). I believe the standard alternator has a plug receiver on it that is designed to have the harness plug in to from the regulator. Good luck[/QUOT

McClinton, if I run this one wire system you are talking about, what wire off the harness to I run to the alternator?
DBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:29 AM   #5
McClinton527

I believe its the purple one, you also obviously have to run one large gauge wire from the alternator to the battery to charge it
McClinton527 is offline   Reply With Quote