The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-18-2003, 02:34 PM   #1
Earl Junior
Cadillac power

Fuel Tank Relocation

I need some info and advice about the Blazer tank install. So those of you who've done it listen up.

I am not sure what size hose to use. I plan on running Aeroquip braided stainless all the way and I planned on using -6 AN hose and fittings, but I'm not convinced it'll be big enough. Would -8 or -10 be a better choice?

How much hose did you use? This crap is pricey ($5 a foot!) and I don't see any reason to have any extra sitting around the house.

For those of you using electric fuel pumps, where did you mount the pump?

The Holley pump I bought is too tall to stand up inside the frame rail. The instructions point out that the pump needs to be mounted with the motor on top. Is it really that bad of an idea to mount it sideways or at a 45 degree angle?

Fuel filter: before or after the pump?

Thanks for the info!
Just for the record, if I'm down to my last potato, I'm not sharing it with a guy who wants to kill me so he can get a better supply of virgins in paradise. That lesson is a little thing I call Economics 101, infidel style.

--Scott Adams author of Dilbert

Last edited by Earl Junior; 06-18-2003 at 02:37 PM.
Earl Junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 03:19 PM   #2
bpmcgee

Earl,

I recently did a couple of the things that you talk about while I was installing fuel injection in my Blazer.

1) For fuel injection, Holley recommends 3/8" fuel line. I can't imagine anything needing larger than that.

2) I used a Holley blue fuel pump (I needed about 14 psi). I mounted a piece of steel to the inside of the frame over the rear axle. I then bolted both the pump and the fuel filter to that plate.

3) They recommend a simple filter before the pump -- I stuck with the sock in tank. Also, they recommend a very fine filter after the pump. I used a nice aluminum screw-on type so that it can be easily changed when neccesary.

Sorry I can't help you with the specific hose questions -- I used aluminum tubing for my project.

Brian
bpmcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 04:33 PM   #3
chaptr2

Last month I plumed a BG220HR pump in using 10 AN to the pump, 8 AN from the pump to the carburetor and a 10 AN return line, just like the directions said. I bought two rolls of twenty feet from www.summitracing.com to make the price a little cheaper.

This is a little overkill for most engines, but this is what the directions said needed to be plumbed. I had to modify my Blazer gas tank for this type of system to work.

I had to make a bracket for the pump to mount to since it wouldn't fit in the frame rail. I did mine real similar to how bpmcgee mounted his. I actually mounted mine a little further down the frame, kind of forward of the rear end, enough out of the way to change filter when I need to.
Attached Images

70 GMC Short box stepside Blown 388 Stroker
72 K/5 Blazer 350/SM465/205
chaptr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 04:36 PM   #4
chaptr2

Oh don't bother with their plumbing kit, it is worthless. You will do better buying it separately.

70 GMC Short box stepside Blown 388 Stroker
72 K/5 Blazer 350/SM465/205
chaptr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 05:30 PM   #5
72MARIO

$5 per foot pricey ?

It's $25 cdn up here !
1990 V2500 Suburban "Plow Truck"
2005 TAHOE DD
72MARIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 07:14 PM   #6
Class of 69

I buy aeroquip from my local Peterbilt dealer for $3-4.00 per foot, depending on size!! Course I spend about $10,00.00 a year for other parts too! I should load up my pickup, and head north...that's a heck of a mark up to go over the border! I feel sorry for you guy's up there on the price of parts!