The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-15-2010, 01:30 PM   #1
John Gilbert

Genuine GM key for less! A key shop worth mentioning

I bent my one and only ignition key for my '68 GMC, and it cracked when I bent it back to flat. I knew if I tried it one more time in the lock that's where the front half was going to stay. I've had real bad luck with the Chinese made keys they grind at Home Depot, and Lowe's etc. breaking after a very short time. Add this to the fact the thought of handing my only chance to a zit-faced kid that's also in charge of making sure the toilets flush didn't inspire any real confidence either.

I knew I was going to have to suck it up, and go pay a little more to have a professional lock shop save my butt.

I went to Hills Bros. Lock shop in Garden Grove, CA. and what a pleasant surprise. On GM stuff they only use genuine GM blanks, and it cost me only $6.00 for three keys.

Here's a few pictures that might look familiar to Custom Classic Trucks readers the '68 is in the December 2010 issue that should be on the newsstands now... Uh, oh, did that sound like a cheap plug for the mag?

I think maybe seat recover tech will next.
Attached Images

John Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 02:41 PM   #2
406 Q-ship

Re: Genuine GM key for less! A key shop worth mentioning

There really is no such thing as a really "GM" key, they are all produced by a company that GM contracted (Curtis I believe). Any locksmith shop can come up with them, you just need to check with your local lockshop to see what they carry (it just depends on what the shop orders). Even the ones without the GM logo are made on the same tooling if it is a Curtis blank. Sadly all key blanks are made over seas now.

The big box stores (along with many other businesses) are not the place to have keys made due to a lack of experience cutting keys. That local guy at the hardware store is probably OK but the kid at Home Depot has about 3 minutes of instruction on the use of an automatic key duplication machine and does not understand how a lock works, so will not see where the cutting process can get screwed up.

If you can not tell I trained with a long time locksmith and I used to handle the lock work at the dealership I worked at.

Where patience fails, force prevails

Stapp's Ironical Paradox "The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."
406 Q-ship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:52 PM   #3
Jacfourteen
Big Red - Now its a SWB!

I agree lock shops are the only way to go. They have a larger selection of keys and they know what they are doing.
68 3/4 ton (Project)-350 Small Block, .030 over, 10:1 comp, 3998993 heads, C3BX edelbrock intake, comp cams XE268, Holley 670 SA, long tube headers, dual flow 40's, E-fan, Alum rad, currently under the knife getting shortened and bagged build thread
41 3/4 ton (wife's)-flatbed, fully restored to original
01 Tahoe LT 4WD (my daily driver)-Magnaflow Muffler, Rollin on 22's
02 Ford Mustang Convertable (Wife's Car)-Flowmaster 50, Clear corners, Intake, sittin on 18's
Jacfourteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 04:25 PM   #4
JohnC

Well here I am a local Hardware Store guy. I can't speak for other stores, but I stand behind my keys, and cutting abilities. I can make a key for everything from the early GM stuff to the new GM stuff. Now granted the locksmiths know a lot more than I do, and rightly so, but I could have made those same three keys for you for under $3.00. Sometimes the small local hardware stores get lumped into the same category as the Big Box stores. However, if you give us a shot you will be surprised how much better we are than Home Depot, and Lowe's.

Just my .02

Last edited by JohnC; 11-15-2010 at 04:27 PM.
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 04:54 PM   #5
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

I always like to have 2 or 3 sets of keys on my vehicles and usually put a "Hide-A-Key" on the truck as well. I always go to the local independant local locksmith that has been in business for around the last 75 years. This past summer I bought new cylinders for my ignition and doors and have the original keys for my truck so I had the locksmith code them for the original keys.

Hey John, I always enjoy your articles in Custom Classic and Classic Trucks.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:02 PM   #6
406 Q-ship

John C, believe me I did not intent to come off saying that the Hardware Store personal can not cut keys, there are alot of Mom and Pops hardware stores with great people working them. We have got one of the best ones right here in Torrance, best nut and bolt selection I have found anywhere!!! I try to use the local hardware store over the big impersonal box store. Which reminds me I need to pick up some bumper bolts for the truck, here I come Lovelady.

Stapp's Ironical Paradox "The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."
Old 11-15-2010, 06:24 PM   #7
tripp

John, I am a subscriber to your magazine and I recognized the truck from the current issue. However, I really knew it was you because I have been looking at your hands for years! LOL
72 Suburban
72 2wd Blazer
tripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:28 PM   #8
Jacfourteen
Big Red - Now its a SWB!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406 Q-ship View Post
John C, believe me I did not intent to come off saying that the Hardware Store personal can not cut keys, there are alot of Mom and Pops hardware stores with great people working them. We have got one of the best ones right here in Torrance, best nut and bolt selection I have found anywhere!!! I try to use the local hardware store over the big impersonal box store. Which reminds me I need to pick up some bumper bolts for the truck, here I come Lovelady.
Same here, the guys at my local ace have a great crew too. The last time I needed a key was on a sunday so that is where I went. I was more or less saying that I would never trust a home depot or walmart key. When I was in my teens I had walmart cut a key for my girlfriend's (now wife) car and it took 3 tries before they made one that would open the door.
68 3/4 ton (Project)-350 Small Block, .030 over, 10:1 comp, 3998993 heads, C3BX edelbrock intake, comp cams XE268, Holley 670 SA, long tube headers, dual flow 40's, E-fan, Alum rad, currently under the knife getting shortened and bagged build thread
02 Ford Mustang Convertable (Wife's Car)-Flowmaster 50, Clear corners, Intake, sittin on 18's
Old 11-15-2010, 06:45 PM   #9
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

When I was younger, I worked at a dealer and was shown ( many times I must add) how to cut keys with a hand held tool, you just dialed in the code and started cutting, after a while, I was getting good enough to do it from original keys, well most were right.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:31 PM   #10
406 Q-ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde65 View Post
When I was younger, I worked at a dealer and was shown ( many times I must add) how to cut keys with a hand held tool, you just dialed in the code and started cutting, after a while, I was getting good enough to do it from original keys, well most were right.
Curtiss code cutter......they are so cool and wish I owned one right now. The Buick dealer I worked at had one and no one there could use it.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:43 PM   #11
57larry

a local locksmith charged me $12.00 to cut one for my 72 (I had the old one)
57larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 04:40 PM   #12
JohnC

406 Q-ship, Jacfourteen - Yeah I knew you guys weren't meaning it personal. It's just a pet peeve of mine when people group all hardware stores in with the Big Box stores. Yeah they can save you money sometimes, but then again the right advice can save a lot of money too.
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:56 PM   #13
Jacfourteen
Big Red - Now its a SWB!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
then again the right advice can save a lot of money too.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:58 PM   #14
406 Q-ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
... but then again the right advice can save a lot of money too.
Exactly!

Old 11-16-2010, 10:35 PM   #15
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Briggs & Stratton has been supplying GM with locks and keys for as long as they have been using them... I don't keep up with the new stuff but I know Strattec bought out B&S a few years ago. That's when everything lock related went down the tubes quality wise...

Curtis was an aftermarket key blank producer as well as Keil, Taylor, Jet, ILCO, Star, and many others...

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:23 PM   #16
raycow

GM must have made at least some of their blanks in-house. I have a few keys marked Rochester Products or RP. I don't know if these would have also been sold through GM parts or if they were used for production only. The only reason I am mentioning this is that the quality might be better on these than B&S if B&S has gone down the toilet.

Ray
Old 11-17-2010, 08:30 PM   #17
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycow View Post
GM must have made at least some of their blanks in-house. I have a few keys marked Rochester Products or RP. I don't know if these would have also been sold through GM parts or if they were used for production only. The only reason I am mentioning this is that the quality might be better on these than B&S if B&S has gone down the toilet.

Ray

Yes they did, GM actually had the RP subdivision handle this in the late 40's. They used RP as a backup supplier if B&S was having production problems... I don't think the RP produced products were sold to the general public at that time but I'm sure some of the stuff made it out as surplus. I don't know if RP is still in the lock & key business or not.

LockDoc

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 11-17-2010 at 08:33 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:04 PM   #18
406 Q-ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
Briggs & Stratton has been supplying GM with locks and keys for as long as they have been using them... I don't keep up with the new stuff but I know Strattec bought out B&S a few years ago. That's when everything lock related went down the tubes quality wise...

Curtis was an aftermarket key blank producer as well as Keil, Taylor, Jet, ILCO, Star, and many others...

LockDoc
Opps I should have remember that Briggs & Stratton was the supplier of locks to GM (long with most of the other vehicle makes). Give that man a ceegar!

Old 11-18-2010, 12:03 AM   #19
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406 Q-ship View Post
Opps I should have remember that Briggs & Stratton was the supplier of locks to GM (long with most of the other vehicle makes). Give that man a ceegar!

Make it a Swisher Sweet wood tip. I'm a wuss when it comes to ceegars...

LockDoc

-