The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-18-2010, 05:45 PM   #1
mrhino
Account Suspended

crew cab shortbed

Hey guys, Im kinda new to the 73-87 trucks, but I was wondering if they make a crew cab with a short bed? if so what is the wheel base?. and does anybody have any pictures. I was thinking, when im done with my project now, I would try and build one. thanks
mrhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 06:51 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: crew cab shortbed

well the only CCSB trucks have been made by fellow enthusiasts or custom houses. There are plenty of them in the builds section and i believe a pic thread in this forum

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 06:52 PM   #3
babyJay
Arrived on a Pale Horse

Depends on who you mean by "they". If you mean G.M., the answer is no. You'll have to buy a long wheelbase truck and cut it down. Several members here have done it with several different methods. Here's the link to the pictures thread.
crew cab shortbed pics.
babyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 07:24 PM   #4
mrhino
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
well the only CCSB trucks have been made by fellow enthusiasts or custom houses. There are plenty of them in the builds section and i believe a pic thread in this forum
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyJay View Post
Depends on who you mean by "they". If you mean G.M., the answer is no. You'll have to buy a long wheelbase truck and cut it down. Several members here have done it with several different methods. Here's the link to the pictures thread.
crew cab shortbed pics.
Thanks guys thats exactly what I was looking for. still curious about the wheel base though.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:42 PM   #5
babyJay
Arrived on a Pale Horse

It would be 14" shorter than the standard crew cab length. I have two outside but it's cold and dark out there (as you would know from living in Indiana too). I'll check them tomorrow, unless someone chimes in. To make one you need to step notch and cut 14 out of the frame behind the cab, and then cut another 6 off the rear of the frame. The wheelbase would only be affected by the 14" in front of the axle. There are others though that have placed a crew cab frame on a suburban chassis, which is shorter yet. You can tell in those pics because theres just a thin slice of bed in front of the rear wheel well.

Last edited by babyJay; 11-18-2010 at 07:44 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:33 PM   #6
mrhino
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyJay View Post
It would be 14" shorter than the standard crew cab length. I have two outside but it's cold and dark out there (as you would know from living in Indiana too). I'll check them tomorrow, unless someone chimes in. To make one you need to step notch and cut 14 out of the frame behind the cab, and then cut another 6 off the rear of the frame. The wheelbase would only be affected by the 14" in front of the axle. There are others though that have placed a crew cab frame on a suburban chassis, which is shorter yet. You can tell in those pics because theres just a thin slice of bed in front of the rear wheel well.
Thats cool. My wifes been wanting a late model quadcab with a 5.3 or 6.0 she also like the 85-87 trucks so I suggested building a crew with a 5.3l and all the features of a new one with out the huge price tag, and it would have class. but she thought they would be to long for her. I think the new ones are about 159"

Btw where is SnagTown?

Last edited by mrhino; 11-18-2010 at 08:34 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:52 PM   #7
cor86

Btw where is SnagTown?

I was also wondering that. Finally, some Indianer members...just a shame there isn't more in the classified section!
cor86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:39 AM   #8
mrhino
Account Suspended

Hey Warsaw, I think you are the closest member to me, Iv seen. That is of coarse if SnagTown is any closer.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:34 AM   #9
babyJay
Arrived on a Pale Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhino View Post
Btw where is SnagTown?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cor86 View Post
Btw where is SnagTown?
I was also wondering that. Finally, some Indianer members...just a shame there isn't more in the classified section!
That is the original dirt road days name for the town of Gaston when it was first plotted. It later became "New Corner", and then Gaston. I'm North of Muncie, real close to Matthews.

All the nice trucks and parts seem to be down toward Texas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhino View Post
Hey Warsaw, I think you are the closest member to me, Iv seen. That is of coarse if SnagTown is any closer.
You're probably closer. I've got family in Elkhart, that's quite a haul north.

Last edited by babyJay; 11-19-2010 at 10:37 AM.