The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-21-2010, 01:28 AM   #1
kcsa75

Steering Wheel/Horn Problem

Greetings:

This afternoon I pulled the factory steering wheel off of my 72 Chevy and replaced it with an OEM wheel from a late 80s/early 90s Chevy Truck. Everything bolted up with no problem, except I have no horn.

The horn button/center cap on the new wheel has a tab (see pic) on the underside to attach a wire -- presumably for the horn. The problem is there is no wire.

What am I missing?

Willie
Attached Images

kcsa75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 01:45 AM   #2
Jacfourteen
Big Red - Now its a SWB!

Re: Steering Wheel/Horn Problem

You need to adapt some way to run a wire from the terminal in the center of the red circle at the 12 oclock position in picture #3 to the male connector on the horn button. My grant steering wheel is similar and it came with an adapter to connect the wire to the horn, I don't know if they sell it separate or not. The tab on the horn looks to be a standard 1/4" male spade connector, so to hook to that you would use a 1/4" female spade connector. Maybe someone with some firsthand knowledge on this steering wheel will chime in, Good luck!
68 3/4 ton (Project)-350 Small Block, .030 over, 10:1 comp, 3998993 heads, C3BX edelbrock intake, comp cams XE268, Holley 670 SA, long tube headers, dual flow 40's, E-fan, Alum rad, currently under the knife getting shortened and bagged build thread
41 3/4 ton (wife's)-flatbed, fully restored to original
01 Tahoe LT 4WD (my daily driver)-Magnaflow Muffler, Rollin on 22's
02 Ford Mustang Convertable (Wife's Car)-Flowmaster 50, Clear corners, Intake, sittin on 18's
Jacfourteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:45 AM   #3
Putter
More Cowbell....

I found myself looking at the exact same thing a while back (put that same steering wheel on an '84).
Just look for a cheap 'inline fuse holder'.... the cheaper the better. Some old tape decks had them, some cheap CB radios, etc....
Anyway, the kind that holds a glass tube fuse. If you can locate one that the fuse actually slides into a metal hole (instead of pressing against a spring-loaded tab) then you can just clip off one end...which will slide nicely over the little nub that you have sticking out of your steering wheel. Then just crimp on a spade connector to go on the horn button and there you go.

I know that just confused the heck out of everybody. I will go to the garage in a jiffy and see if I kept the unused half of mine and show you what I mean via photo.

FOUND IT....

You need holder like this...(**REMEMBER that I already used the other half, so that is why you only see one wire in the photo)

When you open it you see this...

Take it apart and use this...

It will be too big, so just crimp it down a little with pliers or something. Then fit it over the spring-loaded nub that is sticking out of your wheel (it has the orange circle around it in your photo). Connect the other end to the horn button tab using a spade (speaker) connector (what you have drawn the arrow pointing to).

Finally, be CERTAIN that the long metal tab from the horn button will actually touch the center shaft of your steering column at all times....creating the needed ground.

**Final note...if your horn does NOT honk, remove the button and short the nub (with the orange circle in your pic #3)....short it directly to the center shaft of you wheel (where the big nut is) using a screwdriver or similar. It should honk. If not, you have other issues.

Last edited by Putter; 11-21-2010 at 12:15 PM.
Putter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 12:36 PM   #4
kcsa75

Outstanding!

I get it. I should have one of those fuse holders in a coffee can in the garage. Thanks for your help.

Willie
kcsa75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 12:44 PM   #5
Putter
More Cowbell....

Willie, I scratched my head for hours trying to decide what I could use to make that same connection. I ran up on this fuse holder by accident and the idea-lightbulb went *DING*. Been working ever since. I think I did the same thing on my '69, too.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:36 PM   #6
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Putter...how close is Puckett, to Starkville?

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 02:58 PM   #7
Jacfourteen
Big Red - Now its a SWB!

Great low buck fix idea! I was thinking maybe solder it on, but that is much easier.
68 3/4 ton (Project)-350 Small Block, .030 over, 10:1 comp, 3998993 heads, C3BX edelbrock intake, comp cams XE268, Holley 670 SA, long tube headers, dual flow 40's, E-fan, Alum rad, currently under the knife getting shortened and bagged build thread
41 3/4 ton (wife's)-flatbed, fully restored to original
01 Tahoe LT 4WD (my daily driver)-Magnaflow Muffler, Rollin on 22's
02 Ford Mustang Convertable (Wife's Car)-Flowmaster 50, Clear corners, Intake, sittin on 18's
Jacfourteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:50 PM   #8
Putter
More Cowbell....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevLoRay View Post
Putter...how close is Puckett, to Starkville?
'bout 2.5 hours....maybe 3 if you sightsee.