The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-21-2010, 09:51 PM   #1
breezy

my all day 105 amp alt install (no resistor) ??

Well it took me all day to get the alt. on but it's finished. I tried the resistor and it wouldn't charge, so I left it out. Has anyone else had this problem and did you hook it up without it. Will it be ok? I also got the cover on to hide the computer wires and relays. Had to do a little triming but fits nice now. What do you guys think? You can see my wire from alt. to starter coming out the bottom of the cover. Behind the cover is a two post junction box from a s-10.
Attached Images

Last edited by breezy; 11-21-2010 at 11:56 PM. Reason: wrong term
breezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:08 PM   #2
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Re: my all day 105 amp alt install diode ??

I think it looks really clean....
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:29 PM   #3
breezy

Thanks that's what I like to hear. I'm not the fastest guy, but I like to measure 4 times then once more before cutting.
Anybody got input on the diode problem. I put a 470 ohm resistor in and it would not charge at all. I got that resistance from a GM diagram on a 86 vette, which is what the alt. is from.
How do you check the wire for resistance? I read it somewhere but can't find it now.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:22 PM   #4
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Did you use a diode or a resistor?. Diodes is one way electrical valve it has a + and - side if you put it in backwards it will stop the flow in the direction you may need. Resistors are 2 way so it doesn't matter which way they go in.

You can get a voltage drop from a diode but in this case you want a resistor. I use 75 ohm resistors for a CS130 conversion.

Snap a picture of the back of the ALT so we can see the wires.

Last edited by dwcsr; 11-21-2010 at 11:22 PM.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:49 PM   #5
breezy

Sorry bout that DW. I used a resistor. 470k-ohm 1/2 watt 5% tolerance. Cant really get a pick of the back now. I can tell you blue wire to L wire in CS harness. Red wire to Bat stud on alt. Looped wires in voltage regulator plug. It charges now but without a resistor. Putting out 13.4 at idle at 40 amps.GM shows 510 ohm resister so I figured I be good with the one I got. I wonder if my new pigtail has resistance built in. I burned up my multi meter so I'll have to check the wire for resistance tommorow.It may be ok it seems to be working correctly. I drove to town and back and it worked great. I just want to be safe.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:53 PM   #6
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

They do make them with and without the resistor so maybe you have one with a resistor already in it. If your getting 13.4 I'd leave it alone.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:58 PM   #7
Husker

I did this to my Jeep CJ 5 and used a diode and it works fine. I also plan on doing this to my 70 GMC.
Ron
Member #111
68 C-10 Daily Driver
70 4x4 Project
76 Jeep CJ-5

Help Support the Board:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
Thomas Jefferson
Husker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:05 AM   #8
breezy

I just got a replacement plug from O'reilly. I have read if the voltage is not showing resistance it will cook alt. in a few seconds. Did not say anything on package about resistance. Hopefully I'll find out more tommorow. I'm not driving anymore until I can verify voltage at L terminal or check resistance from battery cable thru harness to L terminal.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:41 AM   #9
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezy View Post
I just got a replacement plug from O'reilly. I have read if the voltage is not showing resistance it will cook alt. in a few seconds. Did not say anything on package about resistance. Hopefully I'll find out more tommorow. I'm not driving anymore until I can verify voltage at L terminal or check resistance from battery cable thru harness to L terminal.
If you just got a plug then I would check to make sure
Old 11-22-2010, 09:55 PM   #10
screamin_c10
I dun gradjiated collij!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezy View Post
I put a 470 ohm resistor in and it would not charge at all.....I used a resistor. 470k-ohm 1/2 watt 5% tolerance....GM shows 510 ohm resister so I figured I be good with the one I got....
There is a HUGE difference between a 470k ohm resistor and a 470 ohm resistor. There is little difference between a 470 ohm and 510 ohm. If GM wants the 510 ohm and you are indeed using a 470,000 (470k) ohm resistor then you will have issues.

Last edited by screamin_c10; 11-23-2010 at 10:11 AM.
screamin_c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 10:38 PM   #11
breezy

Yeah I figured that out today while pondering over this. Doh I failed to see the K and relized I was way off. The one I have now is 10K at1/2 watt. It charges now but I'm not convinced it's correct yet. I can't find the correct one at radio shack.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:45 PM   #12
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Here is all you need. http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/zma...ternator02.htm

The adapter for the SI alternator you won't need because you still have the regulator wiring. If you're in love with the external regulator you can use the resistor between the two bolts providing you change it to any resistor above 30 ohms and below 500 ohms. 10,000 ohms is way too much and will drop the voltage too much to turn on the alternator. If it was me I would ditch the regulator and wire the alternator like the link above.

You can also wire the red wire and the white wire together at the regulator and use the white wire as a voltage sensor to the S terminal on the alternator. Then all you need is a 10 gauge red wire from the back of the alternator to the battery or starter terminal.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:01 AM   #13
breezy

I'm not in love with it, it just still looks original. It is charging with the 10k ohm resistor. Not sure how but it is working. Voltage is 12.3 I think.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:11 PM   #14
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Don't think me critical I was just wondering why you wanted to keep the regulator. It certainly is your call. Most of the guys like to get rid of it and clean up the engine compartment. That's a great place to mount the relays for the headlight conversion.

I didn't answer your question about the 10 ohms on the brown wire to the regulator, so here goes. The factory trucks had either a charging light or an ammeter and the light was a 10 ohm resistance. If the ammeter was used then a 10 ohm resistance was built into the brown wire. There may have been a resistor wired in with the light also to give 10 ohms to the regulator in case the idiot light burned out. I have diagrams that show that. Here is one without it.
Name:  chargcircuit.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  23.6 KB

And here is one with the resistor.
Name:  ezt regulator alternator.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  46.7 KB

Now here is why I posted back. Your last post said you were getting 12.3 volts out of the alternator at idle. Most everyone gets 14.5 volts and the reason is because 12.3 isn't enough to keep the battery charged fully and run all the accessories too. I would replace the 10K ohm resistor you have in the regulator with a 75 ohm 3 watt and see what your alternator output is.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:37 PM   #15
breezy

Where can I get one. Radio shack says they have nothing in the 3 watt range.I can't post the diagram from work but it shows a 510 ohm resistor in the wire from GM. Also I have checked the voltage with and without a 470 ohm resistor and it was the same. I'm not sure 75 ohms is going to be any different? I'm going to install the 470 and run it so it has a resistor. but I really don't see the relevance of it. I did notice when I had it wired direct I was putting a little over 14 volts out at idle. But when reving engine up it didn't go up much just stayed around 14 or so.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:02 AM   #16
Husker

Try this write up it will work for a GM truck. It gives part #'s and several different diagrams. You can buy resistor wire at NAPA.
Ron
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ne...estion-763216/
Member #111
68 C-10 Daily Driver
70 4x4 Project
76 Jeep CJ-5

Help Support the Board:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
Thomas Jefferson
Husker is offline   Reply With Quote