The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-22-2010, 10:59 PM   #1
k5hart

Defroster Divertor box repair

During my never ending heater core replacement project I realized that the flap in my divertor box was cracked. This is a common problem with our trucks and will cause the air to not redirect out of the defrosters. I wondered why my defroster sucked! Anyway, a few people suggested that epoxying the door was a possible solution but some didn't think the repair would last. That got me thinking about what would last. Something that would add support on top of re-attaching things together. Here's my fix.

I took a piece of flat steel bar I had around and cut it to size. I put a small angle on one long side so it would slip under the rubber piece that surrounds the door. You will have to take a razor blade and cut one nub out of the rubber in the middle of the flap so the metal will slip under. I painted the top so it was clean and left the glued side raw steel.

Then I used a 3M adhesive made for attaching emblems. It sets up somewhat rubber like but very solid and is strong as heck. It takes a day or so to set. As you can tell I used a lot, coated the bottom and put a bead around the steel.

I haven't put this in use yet but I've done two different boxes and tested (played) with it a lot and so far no problems. Just thought I would share my idea and see what ya'll thought.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:30 PM   #2
aintmisbehavinn

Re: Defroster Divertor box repair

Excellent idea, I'm on my second with the same problem again. I thought about plastic, a scraper from Home Depot paint department milled down with a grinder. This is exactly my thought when I rip it out again...Good job.
aintmisbehavinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 03:36 PM   #3
k5hart

Re: Defroster Divertor box repair

Thanks! I hope it lasts. I think it will. I will post back here if it fails. I don't think it's necessary to use such a thick piece of steel like I did. I just had it laying around the shop. I think it would work, maybe better, with something thinner. Hope it works for you.