The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-18-2010, 04:44 PM   #1
duwem

Front Bumper with No Bolt Heads 47-53

Do guys make their own (weld in studs and have the bumper rechromed) or is there a company that makes the chrome bumpers with studs and no heads?

duwem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 06:56 PM   #2
Arkansas50's

Re: Front Bumper with No Bolt Heads 47-53

I haven't heard of any companys making them. Rechroming after you weld in the stud is more expensive than buying a new repop. If its not done properly you will get a dimple where the studs are when you bolt them up.
1954 Chevy 6400
Arkansas50's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 07:15 PM   #3
glowins10

I just got my december custom classic trucks magazine and the cover truck has the bumper, front and back, with no bolts. It is one of the first things i noticed. Looks very nice! I did a quick search and didnt find anything. Im pretty sure they are welded in and rechromed. I am pretty set on it myself and plan on doing it.
glowins10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:37 PM   #4
Indian113

It looks like he welded the hole shut and welded in brackets so he could bolt the bumper brace to it. It looks sharp but that stuff isn't cheap. Getting a bumper chromed is over $200.00 around here.
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 02:51 PM   #5
duwem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian113 View Post
It looks like he welded the hole shut and welded in brackets so he could bolt the bumper brace to it. It looks sharp but that stuff isn't cheap. Getting a bumper chromed is over $200.00 around here.
A repop chrome bumper with shipping is probably almost $200.

Might have to look into it, I have a spare bumper that was painted over and has some pitting in the chrome.

What would be the best/safest way to strip off the chrome?
Old 11-19-2010, 06:33 PM   #6
whid

pretty sure it was rock valley that i saw had them at the nsra nats in louisville a couple years ago...they werent chrome but polished stainless ...I'm thinking they were like $230.00 or something like that ...I was going to check into it for my truck when the time comes.......whid
whid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:19 PM   #7
duwem

I see them listed as stainless, but not smooth stainless for our trucks:

http://www.rockvalleyantiqueautopart..._stainless.pdf

If I would do it, I would get stainless carriage bolt, cut the head off and weld the front till it was flush. Then grind it smooth. Would be tricky to get it invisible though. The square and weld should hold it. Would still need to get the chrome off somehow though...
Old 11-21-2010, 12:24 PM   #8
whid

you might want to check with them,I'm positive i saw them.and pretty sure it was them.......whid
whid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:07 PM   #9
mr48chev

The ones I have seen have bolts welded to them and the holes filled. There was an article on it in one of the car magazines a few years ago. It wouldn't be too hard to do but the big rub is that the cost of having one rechromed is usually more than the cost of a good chrome reproduction bumper.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 02:03 AM   #10
scrapmetalart

Quote:
Originally Posted by duwem View Post
I see them listed as stainless, but not smooth stainless for our trucks:

http://www.rockvalleyantiqueautopart..._stainless.pdf

If I would do it, I would get stainless carriage bolt, cut the head off and weld the front till it was flush. Then grind it smooth. Would be tricky to get it invisible though. The square and weld should hold it. Would still need to get the chrome off somehow though...
I dont see anything about CHROME. They are POLISHED STAINLESS!

Cut the heads off STAINLESS carrage bolts & TIG weld them in on both sides. Grind , sand & polish the front welds back to shiny...
Alot cheaper & better than chrome anyday
Old 11-23-2010, 04:35 PM   #11
57picupnewbie
'57 Rosa

Advanced Plating, Nashville TN is who I plan to use. I will only have front bumper. I will have roll pan in rear. These guys have a booth at Moultrie twice a year and can give you a qoute if you take the bumper. Here is the notes from their website on welded bolts.

SPECIAL NOTES

BACKSIDE OF BUMPERS: EVERYTHING IS STRIPPED OFF AND WE BEAD BLAST THE BACKSIDE. THE BACKSIDE WILL PLATE WITH COPPER AND NICKEL; HOWEVER, DEPENDING ON THE CONTOUR OF THE BUMPER IT MAY NOT CHROME PLATE ON THE BACKSIDE. THE BACKSIDE WILL NOT HAVE A SMOOTH FINISH BECAUSE IT’S NOT POLISHED. WE RECOMMEND PAINTING THE BACKSIDE TO KEEP DETERIORATION FROM GETTING STARTED.

POLISHING BACKSIDE: IF REQUESTED WE CAN POLISH THE BACKSIDE OF A BUMPER TO A MIRROR FINISH. SINCE THIS DOUBLES THE PRICE WE ONLY RECOMMEND THIS FOR BUMPERS THAT STAND OUT FAR ENOUGH THAT THE BACKSIDE IS SEEN.

WELDING IN BOLTS FROM BACKSIDE: IF YOU'RE WANTING A SMOOTH FACE BUMPER WITH NO BOLTS HOLES, HAVE THE BOLTS WELDED IN BEFORE SENDING THE BUMPER TO US. LEAVE THE WELD BEAD ON THE FACE FOR US TO GRIND DOWN AND SMOOTH. AFTER THE BOLTS ARE WELDED IN, FIT THE BUMPERS TO THE CAR TO INSURE THE CORRECT PLACEMENT OF THE BOLTS.

Only two defining forces have ever died for us: CHRIST died for our salvation and VETERANS died for our freedoms. Glorify CHRIST and thank VETERANs
Dru~ USN Retired
57picupnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 05:38 PM   #12
weldvair@embarqmail.

Smile Re: Front Bumper with No Bolt Heads 47-53

I just called Rock Valley.....price was close to $400 for a ss bumper. Much to
much for me.

Where can I get a chrome or SS front bumper reasonably priced........Don

Last edited by weldvair@embarqmail.; 11-29-2010 at 07:52 PM.
weldvair@embarqmail. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 07:31 PM   #13
glowins10

Chrome is going to be much cheaper than SS. I got my front bumper here www.restorationperformance.com They are pretty low on price, and shipping is good too if you order several items! I got rear at classicparts.com also pretty decent on price
glowins10 is offline   Reply With Quote