The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-24-2010, 04:24 PM   #26
Shane
Account Suspended

Re: Cutting for a deck?

we can weld in rockers, cab corners, inner and outer kick panels but we can't patch a dash?

good lord.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 04:31 PM   #27
rbagley

So, we've established that there are differing opinions that are equally valid?

Last edited by powerdriver 1958; 11-24-2010 at 09:04 PM.
rbagley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 05:21 PM   #28
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Either way, the name-calling, childish, and political stuff needs to stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 07:21 PM   #29
WIDESIDE72

[QUOTE a cut dash does nothing to devalue one of these trucks any more than than those NON ORIGINAL rally wheels on your truck devalues yours.

QUOTE]

In your opinion... Although Rally wheels can be swapped in about what... ten minutes? Can you weld a new piece of a dash, and paint it to match in that amount of time?

What everyone forgets her is that the main reason most dashes were cut was 20 + yrs ago, there were no radios available that would fit the stock opening of our trucks. Now that there are so many options, it is not necessary.

Replacing cab corners and rockers is done because of damage done by the elements, not by someone who knew better.

Last edited by WIDESIDE72; 11-24-2010 at 07:22 PM.
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:19 PM   #30
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Quote:
Originally Posted by haminator View Post
I have five of these trucks and none of them are cut. Kinds of ruins the whole truck somehow, in my opinion. It could be the nicest truck around then I'll say "yea but they cut the dash" Guess I'm anal. DON'T CUT IT. Would you cut a 57 Belair dash?
It depends what I want to do to the car. But if it involved cutting the dash, Heck yeah I'd cut it and not look back. Just like I'd tub it or what ever. Who cares? Most of the time any of these old vehicles have so much money jammed in them they exceed what they really are worth anyway. Plus, chances are, a potential buyer will find more with the truck that he doesn't like besides a cut dash. And it is so hard to repair this. Um, no it's not. Dash13, if I were you I'd do it and not look back. Me personally, I don't want my radio clear in the glove box where I can't reach it. But it doesn't matter to me because I'm saving old rotted vehicles anyway.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:24 PM   #31
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIDESIDE72 View Post
[QUOTE a cut dash does nothing to devalue one of these trucks any more than than those NON ORIGINAL rally wheels on your truck devalues yours.

QUOTE]

In your opinion... Although Rally wheels can be swapped in about what... ten minutes? Can you weld a new piece of a dash, and paint it to match in that amount of time?What everyone forgets her is that the main reason most dashes were cut was 20 + yrs ago, there were no radios available that would fit the stock opening of our trucks. Now that there are so many options, it is not necessary.

Replacing cab corners and rockers is done because of damage done by the elements, not by someone who knew better.
It is easier than most would think. Remove the dash pad, unbolt the dash at the lower dash on each side. Mark along the slots under the dash pad, cut it, remove it. Repeat for your new dash, align, weld it up and if you didn't care you don't even have to grind the welds because the dash pad covers it up. This isn't a 10 minute repair, but sure isn't "Hard" to do. I'd rather do this than repair cab floors.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.

Last edited by Dieselwrencher; 11-24-2010 at 08:25 PM. Reason: add info
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:45 PM   #32
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhandler62 View Post
Let's try to keep things constructive and courteous here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
Either way, the name-calling, childish, and political stuff needs to stop.
Two staff members have requested everyone post in a civil a manner and they have been ignored. Thats not cool!

Anyone thats posts from this point forward be warned, negative comments will result in account suspension

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:48 PM   #33
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Now back to the OP's question. Personally I could care less what you do since its your truck. If it were me I would consider one of the many options for hooking an MP3 player up to what you have. I don't care if you cut it or not, but I do think a stock radio is less prone to be stolen, and we all know how bad that sucks.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:20 PM   #34
Hubscrub
Cruzin

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
Now back to the OP's question. Personally I could care less what you do since its your truck. If it were me I would consider one of the many options for hooking an MP3 player up to what you have. I don't care if you cut it or not, but I do think a stock radio is less prone to be stolen, and we all know how bad that sucks.
i agree, i thought about it in mine but with the technology now i don't need to i'm just gonna buy a radio that fits the stock dash that uses a mp3 or aux. input. there is no need to use CD's anymore for me, when i can carry a 3in long piece that will hold hundreds of songs and not have a bunch of cds in my truck

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14

Last edited by Hubscrub; 11-24-2010 at 11:21 PM.
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 12:04 AM   #35
DeputyDan

I think the reason people get upset about the cutting, dropping, and chopping issue is because some folks are trying to save these old trucks so future generations can see them as close to original as possible. Some folks see it as a time capsule with a sense of responsibility attached to it. After you have dropped, cut, and chopped how much of whats left is really a Chevy C-10? There will always be debate surrounding the issue but were all brothers on here there's no reason to attack each other! On the same hand brothers tend to kick each others ass every now and then lol!
DeputyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 12:46 AM   #36
Jacfourteen
Big Red - Now its a SWB!

I haven't measured, so I'm not totally sure, but it looks like the stock opening is too tall for a standard DIN opening. So I think if you just cut it and mount your new deck it will have a gap at the top and/or bottom. Easiest way to fix this would be to use the billet plate mentioned above. Another solution is to cut out the radio opening and then cut a piece of steel that will fit the larger recessed area of the dash that surrounds the radio, then cut the opening in that and mount your new deck. This is more work but then the hole is the right size and the deck sits flush with the rest of that panel instead of being sunk in. Not sure if that made sense, but I will try to find a pic, I saw someone else who did it on here.

As far as the cut or not to cut debate, I am undecided if I will cut mine or not as I'm still on the fence about it. As for your truck, do what makes you happy.

I read the title of this thread and was expecting some "don't cut it" advice, but wow I wasn't expecting this much "debate"
68 3/4 ton (Project)-350 Small Block, .030 over, 10:1 comp, 3998993 heads, C3BX edelbrock intake, comp cams XE268, Holley 670 SA, long tube headers, dual flow 40's, E-fan, Alum rad, currently under the knife getting shortened and bagged build thread
41 3/4 ton (wife's)-flatbed, fully restored to original
01 Tahoe LT 4WD (my daily driver)-Magnaflow Muffler, Rollin on 22's
02 Ford Mustang Convertable (Wife's Car)-Flowmaster 50, Clear corners, Intake, sittin on 18's

Last edited by Jacfourteen; 11-25-2010 at 12:50 AM.
Jacfourteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 01:02 AM   #37
dan42

There's not that many "good options" that fit in the original space put there - not compared to all the other options you have if you cut the dash. I bought a retrosound for the express purpose of saving the dash, but after a year and a half of trying to make the flash player work, the crappy digital 80's look, and the poor sound quality, I'm ready to get the cut off wheel out. (Although if I can get something fairly convenient to work in the glovebox I'll go that route first).

Last edited by dan42; 11-25-2010 at 01:16 AM.
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 05:24 AM   #38
69 longhorn

I have to get a chuckle every time this one comes up! Its your dash CUT IT! I drive a chopped top /channelled dropped 69 LONGHORN,she has the tail lites in the gate(6 of em), & the tail pipes exit through the rear bumper. A steel tilt front clip, & a few mods I have probably forgotten about....but the DASH is stock.....I wonder If I can E-bay that pc for big bucks, just to offset the cost of the next thing I cut up on the old truck? Its only steel....if you can cut it, you can weld it, you can fix it(restore). I dont like 2x4's....the last one I cut, I cut it 3 times & it was still too damn short! What I didnt like about it was that it cost me 3 bucks, & Ill be dammned if I could weld that pc back on crazyAl
Old 11-25-2010, 05:40 AM   #39
jitteryguy
GoatLube Experss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 longhorn View Post
I have to get a chuckle every time this one comes up! Its your dash CUT IT! I drive a chopped top /channelled dropped 69 LONGHORN,she has the tail lites in the gate(6 of em), & the tail pipes exit through the rear bumper. A steel tilt front clip, & a few mods I have probably forgotten about....but the DASH is stock.....I wonder If I can E-bay that pc for big bucks, just to offset the cost of the next thing I cut up on the old truck? Its only steel....if you can cut it, you can weld it, you can fix it(restore). I dont like 2x4's....the last one I cut, I cut it 3 times & it was still too damn short! What I didnt like about it was that it cost me 3 bucks, & Ill be dammned if I could weld that pc back on crazyAl
Glue !
'92 S10 350/350
'84 MonteCarlo 383/PG/9"ford
'78 Malibu wagon 350/350
'78 Cutlass (project family car)
'96 S10 Jimmy (Moma's)
jitteryguy is offline   Reply With Quote