The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-18-2003, 07:53 PM   #1
Russell
Professional Grade

Engine is running like CRAP

Ok, I just put my wheels back on and pulled the truck out, first off, I pretty much have to floor it just to get the truck moving, and even then it is barely running, it feels like only maybe four cylinders out of eight are running. Now, this is a very recent development, I have run the engine serveral times while it was in the shop (you know, you just get the craving to hear the roar of the V8 ) and it ran very well, but yeah, now it is running like crap. Any suggestions as to what I should be looking at to see what the problem may be? Oh yeah, when I run the engine right now, thick bluish black smoke comes out.

Maybe the distributer?
Old 06-18-2003, 09:23 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

black is gas is the carb flooding it? pul;l plugs to see if therye fouled

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 09:35 PM   #3
Russell
Professional Grade

Alright, I will check the plugs, and the distributer cap, it has been many years since anything was tuned up on it. I know the engine works well, just recently that it started acting funny, like two weeks ago sort of recently
Old 06-18-2003, 11:42 PM   #4
Russell
Professional Grade

I guess she just needed to roar a bit and let out the stress. I just took her out and ran her for a bit, and now she is sounding a lot better! She smoked, and barely ran for a while, but now she is purring with only a tremor as she idles, compared to the rough idle that was enough to rattle the whole truck before.
Old 06-19-2003, 12:08 AM   #5
allthrtl
Available for Adoption

You need a set of plugs... You have probably fouled the plugs with the starting it every once in a while just to hear it run...replace the plugs, it should be good as new....
Old 06-19-2003, 11:16 PM   #6
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Also check the timing and carb air/fuel ratio settings. This will help get it tuned better.

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 12:49 AM   #7
Russell
Professional Grade

I know it needs a good tuneup for sure. Its not just me starting it to take a listen every once and a while, since 1999 the truck has just been started, moved across the yard and shut down, it hasn't done any long distance trips at all, not even the chance to warm up. I guess it just needs a couple longer trips and some fuel additive to clean things up a bit. I plan on changing out the air filter on the carb as well as the plugs and possibly the distributer cap. None of them have been changed in probally ten years.