The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-27-2010, 12:17 PM   #1
LeatherMan69

Bought a truck need to stiffen up the rear

Ok so i bought that 79 GMC 1/2 ton 4x4 with 50K original miles on it. The thing is my dad wants to pull a ditch which trailer and a 3100lb tractor on it. The trailers tongue weight probably doesn't exceed 200lbs but with the tractor it adds alot of weight. My question is... A:will this trucks rear dip alot with all that weight, and would it be possible to just throw some stiffer 3/4 ton springs on it? Are they interchangeable? where could i find some cheapies? Any other ideas?

I also gotta weld a receiver hitch on it. Its got a Pental(sp) hitch on it. Not sure thats even the right name for it. But im thinking of taking off the old farm bumper and setting the hitch higher to help with the drop issue. Any thoughts?
LeatherMan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 01:01 PM   #2
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Re: Bought a truck need to stiffen up the rear

Leather: I have an 84 K20 and I pull a 2000# dual axel trailer with a grose weight of 7000#. It's a class 3 hitch bolted to the frame with 8, 1\2" grade 8 bolts. Ball is 2 5\16". I added 2 leaves to the spring pack. How much weight sits on the toung is a matter of how far in front of the trailer axels you put the load. You could in theory put 10,000# in the trailer and not have 1# on the toung if you load it directly over the trailer axels. Maximum trailer weight loaded for our trucks is 10,000#. If the trailer has a pintle hook connection you can get a flat reciever plate to mount the pintle hook on the truck. jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 01:47 PM   #3
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

I would use the three quarter ton (8 leaf) springs... i did that to all my trucks and they handle a yard and half of topsoil no problem

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 03:18 PM   #4
48cj2a

Leather - I'm going to be parting a 3/4ton Crew soon if I get no takers on selling whole, and I'm in Peoria.
48 Willys CJ2A 48CJ2A
48cj2a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 04:03 PM   #5
LeatherMan69

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48cj2a View Post
Leather - I'm going to be parting a 3/4ton Crew soon if I get no takers on selling whole, and I'm in Peoria.
that would be great! You know what you'd want for the leaf springs? Also would you want me to come get them or would you be willing to ship them?
Old 11-27-2010, 04:29 PM   #6
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherMan69 View Post
You know what you'd want for the leaf springs?
Lets assume he is offering them for free. We wouldn't want to turn this legitimate request for information into a Wanted to Buy/For Sale thread. Then I would have to lock it...

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 04:59 PM   #7
LeatherMan69

LOL your right N2TRUX, Sorry for the inappropriate wording.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:27 PM   #8
48cj2a

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherMan69 View Post
LOL your right N2TRUX, Sorry for the inappropriate wording.
I have an ad running already in the for sale section:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=431623

Its also listed on Craigslist locally. (Keep an eye on the ad and I'll let you know when I parting if it doesn't sell whole)
48 Willys CJ2A 48CJ2A
48cj2a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:08 AM   #9
f.monroe

I would look at the truck and maybe post some pics for us . There are two different spring packs for 1/2 ton trucks. One is 52" eye to eye and the other and heavier spring packs are 56" eye to eye. If it has 56" springs already it is using basically the same springs as the 3/4 to trucks. You might not have to do a thing.
Frank
Old 11-28-2010, 09:34 AM   #10
LeatherMan69

Quote:
Originally Posted by f.monroe View Post
I would look at the truck and maybe post some pics for us . There are two different spring packs for 1/2 ton trucks. One is 52" eye to eye and the other and heavier spring packs are 56" eye to eye. If it has 56" springs already it is using basically the same springs as the 3/4 to trucks. You might not have to do a thing.
Frank
OK, i'll see if i can swing some pics for you guys
Old 11-28-2010, 03:06 PM   #11
tucsonjwt

I would suggest a receiver type bolt to frame hitch, and an equalizer hitch (like Reese or Drawtite). If you have never used an equalizer hitch, they actually spread the weight of the vehicle and trailer evenly - you adjust the length of the adjustment chains on the equalizer bars to raise or lower the vehicle to match the trailer - that's why it is called an equalizer.
I'm not saying you don't need heavier springs - maybe helper springs, especially the adjustable type.
I was using an equalizer hitch on an old Buick while backing my utility trailer into my driveway from the street. I had a dip from the crown of the road until the concrete driveway started uphill. When the rear wheels of my Buick got to that dip the rear wheels of the car were actually off the ground because of the equalizing effect of the hitch - the tongue of the trailer lifted the back of the car off the ground. I had to stack some long 2 x 6s under the rear wheels to back into the driveway.
Equalizers also help with "lag and surge", since they tighten up the slack a bit in the trailer ball to tongue connection. However, there are hitch devices now designed specifically for lag and surge and sway correction. Can get pricey.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 03:23 PM   #12
71swb4x4

I am sure you have already done this, but if not, don't forget the trailer brakes.