The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-06-2010, 05:56 AM   #1
TheDude

Swapping out 3/4 ton front axle

I have a 1947 3/4 ton long bed. It looks like just about every suspension product sold is for the 1/2 ton only, and if there is a version of it, such as wheel bearings, its very expensive. I plan to use the truck for working, and hauling, so I was considering swapping in a different axle, either the 1/2 ton or maybe something newer with disc bakes? Does anyone know if this will work? What axle type should I hunt down?
Thanks!
TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 06:10 AM   #2
kgmunro

Re: Swapping out 3/4 ton front axle

I am running into the same problem with my 57 one ton frame..I think I will end up cutting and installing a camaro clip on mine.
kgmunro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 08:20 AM   #3
raycow

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
II was considering swapping in a different axle, either the 1/2 ton or maybe something newer with disc bakes? Does anyone know if this will work? What axle type should I hunt down?
If you can live with a beam axle, a 1/2 ton axle swap will be your easiest fix. Any AD axle will be a total bolt-in, and you can get disc brake conversions from several vendors that work with the stock spindles. You can also get tapered bearings that are a direct replacement for the original ball bearings. The 1/2 ton springs will swap too, if you are looking for a slightly softer ride.

http://www.classicperform.com/Store/...s/4954CBK6.htm
Old 11-06-2010, 12:32 PM   #4
Dan Bowles
AD Addict

KuztomKlaus from Sweden is on the HAMB and elsewhere just put a 1/2 ton axle on the front of a 1 ton panel this spring. He had some slight mods for the steering and shocks but I really don't recall what they were. You might search for him and see where he put his posts.
Dan Bowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:33 AM   #5
lmdangerous

I am in the process of putting disc brakes on my 1951 chevy 3800 1 ton pick up . The rotors, and calipers will be easy straight off of a C20 - or similar - 4 wheel drive 3/4 ton. Grind the rivits off of the stock 8 lug hubs -knock the drums off and slide the rotors over the studs . The only hold up is the caliper brackets. The only thing I see from anyone is for the 1/2 ton axle. I also know that the bottom steering arms for the 1/2 and 3/4 -1 ton will swap. That means at least the bottom set of backing plate bolt holes are the same width apart. Does any one have the verticle measurement of the backing plate holes ??? ( from the bottom to the top set of holes ) If I had a measurement I could compare the 1/2 ton to the 3/4 backing plate ( bracket bolt patterns ) And IF they are the same -ican use the 1/2 ton basic kit that almost every one sells. LMD
lmdangerous is offline   Reply With Quote