The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-30-2010, 12:32 AM   #1
C. M. Wolf

For Cryin Out Loud! I'm COLD!

Ok, I now live in MT... darned cold around here!

...And I can't get my heater fan to work to save my life!

I've replaced... the heater radiator core, the fan switch on the dash, the fuses are good, and I've replaced the heater hoses within the dash side. I've insulated/wrapped the heater hoses to the heater radiator after replacing them. The water pump is new and as big & strong and guaranteed as I could find. The thermostat is a new 160 degree unit. The engine radiator is a new 4-core,(as large as I could fit into the thing without reworking the mounts and changing the fan shroud), that is now partially covered from mass air-flow. I'm running 80% anti-freeze and plug a heater on the block at night.

So, where else is something going to go wrong or what else can I check to get the heater fan to work??

Did I mention that it gets darned COLD around here?

TIA for any and all help.

Michael
C. M. Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:50 AM   #2
too much stuff
Roadtrip!

Re: For Cryin Out Loud! I'm COLD!

Go to a 195 t-stat and pull the blower motor and see how much junk is in there. Ask me how i know as of 2 days ago. Gets cold here too...
70 4x4/BB/bkts/posi/tach(retired)
70 swb (wifes)
70 jimmy camper
71 K-5 factory 2wd
71 cheyenne 4x4/tach/posi/ plow rig
71 Cheyenne20 BB, buckets, tach, tilt, 4 speed
72 jimmy CST wyoming rig
72 jimmy Colorado rig
72 lifted texas 4x4 3/4 ton burb
65 fury conv. 383/auto
65 chrysler 300 "L" 413 auto
too much stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:18 AM   #3
swamp rat

With your post its kinda hard to figure out.

1) is the heater motor and fan working? If not than it may need replaced. You checked the fuses, do you have a test light? you could trace the wire to the motor and check to see if it gets power. if it gets power then the motor may have to be replaced or possibly the 3 position switch, i wouldn't be able to tell from this computer.

2 Is the fan blowing but your not getting any heat? make sure the temp control lever is moving the flap door properly, its the door that regulates how much heat is brought into the cab. you should not have to wrap or insulate the hoses, i have never seen this done on my 40 years of hobby wrenching. i would probably run a 185 degree thermostat myself. Get down on the passanger side floor and activate the temp control and listen to the sounds comming from the heater box, do you hear it moving? you may have to unhook the cables from the box and activate by hand to be sure there adjusted properly.

You just replaced the heater core? is it possible you neglected to properly reconnect a wire or ground lead?

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's

Last edited by swamp rat; 11-30-2010 at 01:20 AM.
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:38 AM   #4
C. M. Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
With your post its kinda hard to figure out.

1) is the heater motor and fan working? If not than it may need replaced. You checked the fuses, do you have a test light? you could trace the wire to the motor and check to see if it gets power. if it gets power then the motor may have to be replaced or possibly the 3 position switch, i wouldn't be able to tell from this computer.
I have a test light, I'll have to trace the wires I guess.
I have already replaced the three-pstn switch on the dash control panel.
It's possibly the fan motor itself that has failed. I dunno, need to check. (Can these be temporarily jumped straight from the batt without harming the motor or relays to it to check for function?)

Quote:
2 Is the fan blowing but your not getting any heat? make sure the temp control lever is moving the flap door properly, its the door that regulates how much heat is brought into the cab. you should not have to wrap or insulate the hoses, i have never seen this done on my 40 years of hobby wrenching. i would probably run a 185 degree thermostat myself. Get down on the passanger side floor and activate the temp control and listen to the sounds comming from the heater box, do you hear it moving? you may have to unhook the cables from the box and activate by hand to be sure there adjusted properly.
>The fan is not running at all.<
I have re-run and lubed all the heater control cables when I replaced the inner-dash ducts and replaced the heater control panel in the dash. I am sure these are just right and working properly.

Quote:
You just replaced the heater core? is it possible you neglected to properly reconnect a wire or ground lead?
This is unlikely, but not out of the question,(because I just ain't perfect, ya know). I'll double check this again.

I was wondering if this year and model has a "Heater Resistor" that might have failed somewhere within the unit,(inside the heater box unit), that I can't see?

?

Michael

Last edited by C. M. Wolf; 11-30-2010 at 01:42 AM.
C. M. Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:57 AM   #5
Jacfourteen
Big Red - Now its a SWB!

Pull the wire at the fan and check for 12 volts with the switch set to the highest setting. Make sure that it is well grounded, because having 12v does no good if it can't get it to ground. If you have power and good ground then the only thing left is the fan motor itself.
68 3/4 ton (Project)-350 Small Block, .030 over, 10:1 comp, 3998993 heads, C3BX edelbrock intake, comp cams XE268, Holley 670 SA, long tube headers, dual flow 40's, E-fan, Alum rad, currently under the knife getting shortened and bagged build thread
41 3/4 ton (wife's)-flatbed, fully restored to original
01 Tahoe LT 4WD (my daily driver)-Magnaflow Muffler, Rollin on 22's
02 Ford Mustang Convertable (Wife's Car)-Flowmaster 50, Clear corners, Intake, sittin on 18's
Jacfourteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 02:05 AM   #6
swamp rat

I'm not sure about a heater resistor.

I would put a post in the electrical section of the forum asking about the resistor and jumping the heater fan direct to battery and for the electrical schematic if you don't allready have a copy

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 11-30-2010, 03:56 AM   #7
my70chevyc10

There is a blower resistor located on the top of the heater box inside the cab behind the glove box. I just got mine going after i changed the motor, switch, and resistor. i took a test light to the fuse box i had power going to and across the fuse but nothing coming from the back of the fuse block. so i just took the next size wire and just went stright from battery and now it works fine also got new defroster grills that go on the dash and new hose going to those grills from heater box. Now the heater will burn you up in there.

If for some reason i loose to a import...At least i can go home knowing the vehicle i drive drops girls panties...
my70chevyc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:27 AM   #8
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by my70chevyc10 View Post
. i took a test light to the fuse box i had power going to and across the fuse but nothing coming from the back of the fuse block. so i just took the next size wire and just went stright from battery and now it works fine.
The next wire size larger? No need to go any larger than the stock wire but whatever ya do you better at least put an in line fuse in the new wire to protect the blower motor and resistor.

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 11-30-2010, 05:17 PM   #9
dan76

I may have missed the year of your truck, but the 67-72 years have a small plastic access panel in the box (under the glove box area) when removed allows you to peer into the heater core area to determine if the door is opening...allowing air to flow across the heater core.
dan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:27 PM   #10
cdowns

i posted wrong
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY

Last edited by cdowns; 11-30-2010 at 06:06 PM.
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote