The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-01-2010, 04:01 PM   #1
MrDude_1

Can the cab be set on its back?

This sounds like a dumb idea.. but maybe someone else has done it.
I have my cab on a dolly.. but its about 1' off the ground, and the dolly wood makes it hard to get under.
I need to blast the underside of my cab to prep it for a new floorpanel patch.. while im under there, i also want to brace the underside of the floor a bit more.. so i need to blast the whole underside.

if i carefully lifted it off the dolly, and set it down with the back of the cab on the ground (firewall pointed at the sky) on my lawn, would it damage the cab?

im thinking no.. but im not positive.
has anyone done this before? ive seen some pics of people having the cab sitting on the firewall, but thats where im working on it at the moment.

if i can do this, i'll put it there, blast where i need to, then weld it up like this.. and if i cant, i'll just tough it out. with the center plate removed, and the rusty panels chopped out, im sure i can reach under there to blast anyway.

Last edited by MrDude_1; 12-01-2010 at 04:04 PM.
MrDude_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:42 PM   #2
55metalmonkey

Re: Can the cab be set on its back?

Yes you can without any problems.
I just did it to mine to replace a bunch of support pieces on the underside. I assume your dolly is a decent size so you can spread the weight around a bit, If you search the build section there is a bunch of pics of a cab on it's back, I think its a 57 build but am not 100% sure all I can remember is a lot of good (detailed) pics and his signature block said something to the effect " turning rust back into art"
55metalmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:48 PM   #3
55metalmonkey

Found it,
My mistake, it was a 56 by E-tec
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=420843

Lots of good pics
Old 12-01-2010, 05:31 PM   #4
MrDude_1

thanks for the pics.. mines a 51 (so its a first series) but i think it will work.
just in case, i think im going to take the back glass out. seals are all dry-rotted anyway.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:38 PM   #5
samdjr74

I need to do the same thing to my 56 one of these days, the floor is solid but everything underneith is loaded with rust, hopefuly no rot.

My concern is will sitting the cab on it's back bend anything out of shape if it's left that way for prolonged periods of time (1 month or so)
samdjr74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:23 PM   #6
55metalmonkey

I wish I had the brain power and time to figure out how to post pics, I have lots on how I did it.
When I did mine I built the dolly (cradle) out of stacked 2x4's large enough to fit the full back and also so I could flip it on it's belly... roughy 45" X 60" if memory serves me correctly. I put large industrial casters on the bottom too, the whole thing cost me about $30 and was well worth it. I tossed a couple of old pieces of carpet under the points the cab contacted the cradle ...more to dull the noise of me beating on steel but also to cushion any stress points. I had it sitting like that for 6 weeks or so and had no problems with dents, even with me and the odd fat guy crawling through it there was no dents or even scuffs in the paint.
I did pull the glass out, I wasn't worried about breaking it so much, I had the cab edge supported close to the rain gutter/ edge, but didn't want to get a bunch of welding burns etching into the glass.
Like I said, if I knew how to post pics I would. If somone had a link for directions on how how to post pics it would be appreciated.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:49 PM   #7
Kim57

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55metalmonkey View Post
I wish I had the brain power and time to figure out how to post pics, I have lots on how I did it.
When I did mine I built the dolly (cradle) out of stacked 2x4's large enough to fit the full back and also so I could flip it on it's belly... roughy 45" X 60" if memory serves me correctly. I put large industrial casters on the bottom too, the whole thing cost me about $30 and was well worth it. I tossed a couple of old pieces of carpet under the points the cab contacted the cradle ...more to dull the noise of me beating on steel but also to cushion any stress points. I had it sitting like that for 6 weeks or so and had no problems with dents, even with me and the odd fat guy crawling through it there was no dents or even scuffs in the paint.
I did pull the glass out, I wasn't worried about breaking it so much, I had the cab edge supported close to the rain gutter/ edge, but didn't want to get a bunch of welding burns etching into the glass.
Like I said, if I knew how to post pics I would. If somone had a link for directions on how how to post pics it would be appreciated.
55metalmonkey
When you start a new thread or click the "Post Reply" button there is a "Manage Attachments" button bellow the window you type in. If you click on it you can browse your hard drive for the pics you want to upload to the site.
As long as they are small enough you should have no problems.
Kim

Last edited by Kim57; 12-01-2010 at 07:50 PM.
Kim57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:41 PM   #8
jimig1

I was wondering if it was possible too with out damage 55metalmonkey i'd love to see the pic's too
MSRA Member

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, "Where's the self-help section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.
-George Carlin
jimig1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:07 AM   #9
55metalmonkey

I had to go the photobucket route, I hope this works.I have tons more but my computer doesn't want to co-operate tonite
http://s595.photobucket.com/albums/tt40/DirtThumper/

I will be mounting the seats and flipping it on it's back again to reinforce the seat mounts and the seat belt mounts then finally laying on the under coat and paint so I will be taking much more pictures soon.
I was thinking (in hind-sight)that a few surplus sand bags would make an excellent cushion for the cab for either AD or TF cabs and would conform to the cab better than what I did (wood and carpet). I still didn't get any dents and scratches but I think it would hold the cab quite good. I'm not overly worried about scratches because it's getting re painted anyway but still don't want to cause myself more work than is nessasary.
BTW, when I lifted the cab it was very front heavy , I used a 2 ton cargo strap to hug the cab and a second cargo strap from the trans cover opening to keep it stable, also a overhead hoist to lift it, + 2 other guys helping me guide it onto the cradle....in hind sight it was a bit over kill on the rigging and manpower but I was paranoid over droping it, when I put it back on its belly I did it alone and didn't have a problem

Kim57: thanks for the info I tried it but the picture size was huge and was taking forever I'll have to try it when my file size isn't so big and my computer isn't acting stupid

Last edited by 55metalmonkey; 12-02-2010 at 03:24 AM. Reason: more info
Old 12-02-2010, 10:31 AM   #10
MrDude_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55metalmonkey View Post
I had to go the photobucket route, I hope this works.I have tons more but my computer doesn't want to co-operate tonite
http://s595.photobucket.com/albums/tt40/DirtThumper/
thanks for the pics.
once they're on photobucket, its easy to put them in here..

Open your album on photo bucket. do this in another tab or window
Hover your mouse over the pic you want to share on the forum.. a menu should pop up
click on the IMG code box. this is the last on on the menu.

go over to your forum post, set the cursor where you want the picture, and hit paste. easiest way to do this is to hold the CTRL button and press V

there ya go.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:56 PM   #11
mr48chev

I've seen a lot of guys roll them over on an old mattress to protect the back. Usually a guy can find some foam rubber cushions or something like that to lay the cab over on and keep from putting any dents or marks in it.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:04 PM   #12
52 Rat

I have a 52 and need to do the same. My concern is bending the cab corners on the bottom corner lips. What is the best way to lift the cab and roll it back without damage? I like the cushion or foam idea. I have a engine hoist/cherry picker that will lift the cab off of the frame. I've seen photos of the AD cabs turned on their back and often wondered how this was accomplished.

Last edited by 52 Rat; 12-02-2010 at 02:04 PM.
52 Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:12 PM   #13
MrDude_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52 Rat View Post
I have a 52 and need to do the same. My concern is bending the cab corners on the bottom corner lips. What is the best way to lift the cab and roll it back without damage? I like the cushion or foam idea. I have a engine hoist/cherry picker that will lift the cab off of the frame. I've seen photos of the AD cabs turned on their back and often wondered how this was accomplished.
i was thinking the same thing about the cab corners.
i think i can lift it off my dolly with the engine hoist, then just tip it back by hand.. setting it directly on the back, instead of "rolling" it onto its back.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:48 AM   #14
LEEVON

I took the doors off and the seat out and just rolled it over onto a packing blanket. I was able to do that by myself without much trouble, I wouldn't do it with a finished cab. I am 6-3 / 290 though and I don't know how many more years I'll be able to muscle stuff around like that.

Last edited by LEEVON; 12-03-2010 at 10:48 AM.
LEEVON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:55 AM   #15
52 Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEEVON View Post
I took the doors off and the seat out and just rolled it over onto a packing blanket. I was able to do that by myself without much trouble, I wouldn't do it with a finished cab. I am 6-3 / 290 though and I don't know how many more years I'll be able to muscle stuff around like that.

My cab will be finished all but blocking and paint, i.e. new cab corners, rockers, etc. I'm not going to take a chance bending new part so I will lay on my creeper and do the under cab the hard way.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:11 PM   #16
pgf545

I had our on its back, I think there are a couple of pictures on my build thread.

Bernie
Old 12-03-2010, 02:19 PM   #17
52 Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgf545 View Post
I had our on its back, I think there are a couple of pictures on my build thread.

Bernie
Bernie,

Any details or advise regarding the best way to accomplish this?
Old 12-03-2010, 05:24 PM   #18
pgf545

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52 Rat View Post
Bernie,

Any details or advise regarding the best way to accomplish this?
The way I did it was to first set the cab on the dolly on the floor side, then my brother and I lifted it up a little, walked it forward sitting it on the back edge of the cab and then flipped it on its back. Don't know if that makes sense, if not let me know and I will see if I can reword it. I am not much of a writer...lol.

Bernie
Old 12-03-2010, 06:04 PM   #19
Spackle100

These guys worked a on Foad cab...

http://www.customclassictrucks.com/t.../photo_10.html
Spackle100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:23 PM   #20
BigJock

I tipped my AD cab back onto the chassis with padding etc when I was cleaning up the underside. My floors/rocker panels thankfuly were pretty solid.
I'm not sure how it would go if there was heavy rusting and the cabs structural integrity was a bit 'iffy'.

Last edited by BigJock; 12-03-2010 at 09:25 PM.
BigJock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 03:34 PM   #21
55metalmonkey

When I did mine I used a 3 ton overhead which, I also had 20+ft of vertical room to lift it up and lots of guys to help. probably an ideal set up and not what most people have to work with. If you go to E-tec's link he did it with an engine hoist and moving blankets...doesn't look like he had much of a problem. best advice I can give is invite a few freinds over and take your time.