The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-10-2010, 04:01 PM   #1
imsuchaman55

Converting my 4X4 to vette IFS and IRS??

So ive been searching all over the forum about converting from 4x4 to 2wd, and have found a lot of helpful information, but it seems that everyone is converting to stock 2wd front setup. I have both the front and rear setup from an 80s corvette, and am trying to figure out if its gonna be major surgery or a semi basic swap. Im not too worried about the rear end, but the front end stuff is what im worried about. Is there a kit that locates the upper and lower a-arms or will I have to fab it up? I really dont want to do a totally fabbed front crossmember, and am hoping there is a kit that would weld onto the outer part of the frame rail. I think the rack and pinion would be a way better than the stock steering box. Also I have a new 700r4 with the transfer case on the back, would it be easy to put the 2wd tailshaft on and get a 2wd driveshaft? what do you guys think?? I would run it with a coilover setup so I could adjust my rideheight and play with shock dampness. Any imput on this would be super helpful

Eric
imsuchaman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 04:07 PM   #2
draggin86

Re: Converting my 4X4 to vette IFS and IRS??

Well.. there is a man i know, he is your one stop shop for both! front and rear Porterbuilt has you cover. he has a setup for front a rear vette suspension. I myself put a jaguar IRS in my 98 silverado it a big job man.. Again front suspension is also a big job to keep the geometry in check. I would defiantly take a look at Nate's stuff!
draggin86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 04:48 PM   #3
imsuchaman55

Re: Converting my 4X4 to vette IFS and IRS??

Cool, thanks bro. I will check out what he's got! I figured it wouldnt be easy, but for what im gonna pay to do new gears front and back, shocks and all the other stuff I need to do, I might as well make it what I want, plus Ill never use 4wd, maybe if I wasnt such a city kid. My dad has a race shop where he builds circle track cars, so Im sure I can find some coilover setups cheap layin around the shop too
imsuchaman55 is offline   Reply With Quote