The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-08-2010, 01:50 AM   #1
TheWhiteElephant
God is good!

Engine/Body/Frame Grounds

I am going through all the ground locations on my 1973 K20 and want to know if I have all the bases covered. Here is what I have so far:

1) Ground from (-) battery post to alternator bracket (soon to go to engine)

2) Smaller ground wire from (-) battery post to radiator support

3) Ground from radiator support to frame--grounded at same bolt on radiator support as the above ground

4) Ground strap from body to engine block

5) Ground from fuel sending unit to frame

I haven't yet gone through the taillight harness, but I'm pretty sure I have a bad ground there as the taillights will turn off when I turn on the headlamps.

Anything else I missed? Thanks in advance.

"It takes a smart man to know when he's stupid." -- Barney Rubble

My build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=430367
TheWhiteElephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:41 AM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: Engine/Body/Frame Grounds

there should be grounds on the radiator support for the headlights/ running lamps and yes there is a ground in the back for the tail lights
I had a ground from the engine block to the frame but im imagining that yours is the one #4 that someone moved and that was that braided silver stap junk

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:35 PM   #3
Dru

Had a problem with my truck, it seems there should have been a ground strap to the bed, my taillights werent working, and when they did they were dim, turned out to just be back grounding through the headlight switch.

Bumper had a good ground, but the bed wasnt, and the lights are grounded to the bed, took a bit of head scratching before I figured that one out.
Dru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 04:23 AM   #4
TheWhiteElephant
God is good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
there should be grounds on the radiator support for the headlights/ running lamps and yes there is a ground in the back for the tail lights
I had a ground from the engine block to the frame but im imagining that yours is the one #4 that someone moved and that was that braided silver stap junk
What did you use to ground the body to the engine at the firewall? Yes, the one I have is braided. I wanted to replace it but it looks okay.

Old 12-12-2010, 04:26 AM   #5
TheWhiteElephant
God is good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru View Post
Had a problem with my truck, it seems there should have been a ground strap to the bed, my taillights werent working, and when they did they were dim, turned out to just be back grounding through the headlight switch.

Bumper had a good ground, but the bed wasnt, and the lights are grounded to the bed, took a bit of head scratching before I figured that one out.
Seems I have the same issue, I haven't started digging, though. My headlights/interior lights are VERY dim, my taillights barely work, do not flash, and they do not work when I turn my headlight on. I will replace the headlight switch (wanted to, anyway).

I'm curious though--where and how does the bed ground to? I'm assuming the frame, but where exactly? Thanks.

Old 12-12-2010, 04:42 AM   #6
79gmcc15
Gettin It One Pice At A Time

I have a copper braided ground strap from block to firewall. It is bolted to the back of the passenger side head and screwed to the firewall about 3 inches above and 3 inches to the left *looking at it*. It cleaned up real nice!

Work In Progress 1979 GMC C1500 Trailering Special.
Getting the truck done, one piece at a time.

“You can tell a lot about a fellow’s character by his way of eating jellybeans.”Ronald Reagan

“I don’t know the key to success but I know the key to failure is trying to please everybody.” Bill Cosby
79gmcc15 is offline   Reply With Quote