The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-12-2010, 01:09 PM   #1
Chevy51

Question Mustang II Front Suspension

Can anyone tell me what year,of Mustang would be the best fit for 51 Chevy that I have to go with that front end suspension. Thanks.
Chevy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 01:15 PM   #2
Indian113

Re: Mustang II Front Suspension

I don't believe there is a year Mustang that you will use,you only need a Mustang Crossmember that fits the 47-55 pickup. Fatmans makes one! If you want a High Tech one checkout Scotts IFS kit. It is pricey but fits and is designed for our trucks. IMOP it is the deluxe kit and will take the weight of a AD truck the best
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 01:23 PM   #3
Chevy51

Different gearheads I have talked to said,you could take the front suspension on a Mustang,that was being parted out,could be used? I am no mechanic,just that is what I have heard? Thanks
Old 12-12-2010, 01:29 PM   #4
Bob66

Oh you mean a Pinto front end? Because that's what it is.

Mustang II is a reskinned Pinto/Bobcat like Mustang is a reskinned Falcon.

avoid the '72 front end because it just clamps on. Parts get a lot cheaper when you ask for Pinto or buy a parts car.

Wilwood makes an all aluminum steering rack that is a direct copy of the PINTO rack. It's that good, stock.
Bob66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 01:33 PM   #5
Indian113

Check out the different subframe threads on the forum,a lot of people use the G body GM frame as they are close to the right width. I used a Nova on my 53 and it's a little wide. I bought positive offset wheels and the look like the made the difference up.Hang in there and don't make any quick moves without thinking things out. This forum will help you a lot if you just ask. Good luck and keep us posted on your TRUCK
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 01:35 PM   #6
Chevy51

Smile Re: Mustang II Front Suspension

I guess maybe I should have left off that it is a Mustang II. I have been told that you could use the parts of the front suspension on a Mustang that is being parted out. I can get the front suspension off a 88 Mustang,just checking on the compatability of putting it on a 51 Chevy pickup. Thanks
Old 12-12-2010, 07:33 PM   #7
whid

wrong mustangs dude....mustang II's were in the late 70's.....I knew an old hot rodder dude that used to go to the junk yards when you could still find em....he'd cut em up and do it right....he offered to do one in my buddys F100 for $700.00 this was back in 1994...pretty sure your 88 is a no go.......................whid
whid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:36 PM   #8
Chevy51

Re: Mustang Front Suspension

Thanks, for the info, I appreciate your input. I will do some more checking,Thanks.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:25 PM   #9
slicks garage

The Pinto / Mustang II is the swap that is used in street rods. 1974 - 78 I believe. They are all the same except the spring rate and the strut rods, both will work fine.
If you can find a Pacer, Chassis Engineering makes a kit. Heavier duty. Easy swap, cheap kit. I did one back around 2000, find the pacer first.
S-10 frame swaps are really popular. I think I would do that the next time, I have done a few Mustang II swaps.
You used to be able to get the crossmember from the yard for $100. Can't find them too often now. You can weld the stock system in with a little work. The fabricated crossmembers look nicer.
The last one I did I went complete aftermarket parts with tubular arms. About $1600 for all. Heidt's makes really nice parts. I've done 3 with them.
slicks garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 11:40 PM   #10
52 Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy51 View Post
Can anyone tell me what year,of Mustang would be the best fit for 51 Chevy that I have to go with that front end suspension. Thanks.
I have the Heidts IFS under my 52 and I installed a Heidts in my 66 Chevy II. These are tried and true IFS kits and the quality is awesome. Check out my build thread for pics. You can also find a lot of info. on this topic in various threads by using the search function. Good luck.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:47 PM   #11
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy51 View Post
Different gearheads I have talked to said,you could take the front suspension on a Mustang,that was being parted out,could be used? I am no mechanic,just that is what I have heard? Thanks
74 to 78 I'm not home so I can take a photo of one I have but it involves cutting the front suspension out of a 74/78 Mustang II, Pinto or Bobcat (Mercury) and then trimming off the scabs and fitting it to the trucks frame.
Hundreds if not thousands of them were done that way before the aftermarket crossmembers became commonplace and fairly inexpensive.

As far as aftermarket crossmembers, there are all price levels from the U weld it kit from Welders series http://www.welderseries.com/hardcopy/weldercat.pdf Page 4 that can use the control arms from a doner car up though the kits that Scott puts out in his IFS kits. If you don't have a welder here is a link to one that bolts on and all you need is a 1/2 inch electric drill and a handful of wrenches to install it. http://www.chevsofthe40s.com/detail/...FRONT_END.html Not the least expensive but it is dead nuts simple to install.

Some people scoff at the Factory MII crossmembers but they were used on almost every Cobra Kit car up into the mid or late 80's with few exceptions.
At that time you could buy the crossmember over the counter at the local Ford Garage for about 100 bucks. Finding one in good shape now may be a challenge though.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote