The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-13-2010, 09:00 PM   #1
ironhill

frame swap questions

Hey guys, so I'm going to start working on my 55 gmc and there is nothing wrong with the current frame, but I came across an early 80's c10 swb frame complete with rearend and front suspension that I can get for little to nothing. I've checked out some of the posts on here but can't seem to find what anybody has done for steering or braking. I'd like to keep it as stock looking as I can. Thanks for the help
ironhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:27 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: frame swap questions

First I would get out a tape measure and figure out if it is going to fit and work the way you want it to.

That means will it sit at the ride height you want, will the tires you want fit in the wheel wells right and is there enough room at the front for the front crossmember and steering box to fit in and not hit the front end sheet metal below and or behind the grill causing problems. And will it look right when you are done or will it look like something that the owner threw together out of parts that were cheap or free without any thought to how the finished product was going to look to others.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 06:08 PM   #3
ironhill

Re: frame swap questions

Actually all of that has been taken into consideration. The frame has already be sectioned out 2.5 inches. I'm going with 2in drop springs and 2 in drop spindles up front. 2in shackles and dearching the rear springs four inches for a level ride. I've already machined the factory 5 lug ralleys for two in more reverse offset so everything fits in the fender wells and clears the suspension. If I would have went with four in drop spindles offsetting the wheels like I did would have put them into the lower control arm. I've already fabbed up a mounting bracket to run the factory power booster and master cylinder while using the factory pedal setup. Used the stock cab mounts off the 55 and bolted them to the newer frame. Looks like I'm going to shorten the factory column and rake it back a few degrees and machine up some pieces to mount it to the new steering box. Everything is fitting up well. Looks like I'm going to have to do some mods on the radiator support as well. Once the spindles and springs show up it should be setting right where I want it.
Posted via Mobile Device
ironhill is offline   Reply With Quote