The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-15-2010, 09:32 AM   #1
70chevrolet

65 chevy truck sm318 to m20 swap

New guy here. Need some help if possible..
Just bought a 65 c10 shortbed with 292 and sm 318 Muncie 3-speed on the "tree"...it is the one with the warner overdrive tail shaft... Looking to swap a 350 with Muncie m-20. I know I got to change out the passenger motor mount to get the small block in there, so I got tut covered.. And I already purchased the m-20 trans so my heart is dead set on that.. I know the swap is pretty direct but haves few questions for anyone who may have "been there/done that"!
1. The truck is low tunnel. Will I have to modify the trans tunnel (except for cutting the shifter hole)?
2. Will the bellhousing, cross shaft, Shift fork & other linkage from the sm318 work with the Muncie m-20?
3. Can I run a bench seat without moving the engine forward? As I know the floor shift on a m20 will will be a few inches farther back. I will be running a hurst comp-plus shifter?

I know this is a ton of $hit but I could really use any information that you all may have to offer to save me from wasting my time and money...
Thank you in advance!
Posted via Mobile Device
70chevrolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:05 PM   #2
70chevrolet

Re: 65 chevy truck sm318 to m20 swap

Here's a pic for posterity!

Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-15-2010, 11:56 PM   #3
65Guy

Im not shure about your question but what kind of grill is that, ive never seen one like that?
65Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 01:43 AM   #4
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

That would be a '63 grill. That's one of the many reasons the '63 is the favorite truck for some of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Guy View Post
Im not shure about your question but what kind of grill is that, ive never seen one like that?
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 01:55 AM   #5
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70chevrolet View Post
New guy here. Need some help if possible..
Just bought a 65 c10 shortbed with 292 and sm 318 Muncie 3-speed on the "tree"...it is the one with the warner overdrive tail shaft... Looking to swap a 350 with Muncie m-20. I know I got to change out the passenger motor mount to get the small block in there, so I got tut covered.. And I already purchased the m-20 trans so my heart is dead set on that.. I know the swap is pretty direct but haves few questions for anyone who may have "been there/done that"!
1. The truck is low tunnel. Will I have to modify the trans tunnel (except for cutting the shifter hole)?
That I don't know for certain having not dont that exact swap. I would say it will be close. I have installed a Muncie trans under a high hump cover and there is lots of room.

Quote:
2. Will the bellhousing, cross shaft, Shift fork & other linkage from the sm318 work with the Muncie m-20?
Yes it will all work. If you plan on running headers, you will need to be careful which ones you get so that they will work with the stock bellcrank and linkages.

Quote:
3. Can I run a bench seat without moving the engine forward? As I know the floor shift on a m20 will will be a few inches farther back. I will be running a hurst comp-plus shifter?
I've seen a couple and others here on the forum have run a bench seat, but it is close. Some have said to get a shifter for a '55-'57 passenger car, and it will work with the bench seat.

I don't know if they still offer it, but Hurst used to have a bracket that raised the shifter body up higher than in a passenger car installation. Of course the shift rods are different as well. I found that particular shifter to work really well in these trucks. Of course that was with the high hump, so it may not be necessary for your truck. I can get you a pic if you like.

Quote:

I know this is a ton of $hit but I could really use any information that you all may have to offer to save me from wasting my time and money...
Thank you in advance!
Posted via Mobile Device
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:00 AM   #6
70chevrolet

BAM!!!
Captain fab is the man!
Thanks for all that.. I was most concerned with having to spend hours and hundreds of dollars on Ebay looking for clutch linkage parts...Putting it together, piece by piece... we all know how that goes... I am more relieved now knowing that all my $hit will can be re used with the M-20.
Thank for the info about the 55-57 shifter as well. I already have a hurst Competition Plus shifter with shift linkage but if I get into a bind, I will keep that in mind..

A thousand thank you's and A big fat Merry Christmas !!