The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-15-2010, 08:44 PM   #1
alsohim

whoops i can't get it togather

Im rebuilding my first manifold choke Q jet. Never done one of these and am having trouble getting the choke and fast idle linkage right. Anyone got pics or assy diagram?

TIA,
Kaleb
alsohim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:04 PM   #2
Wrenchbender Ret

Re: whoops i can't get it togather

I have some old carbs & instuction sheets. I'll see what I can come up with & get back tomorrow afternoon.
What year &/or carb number is it.
George
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:20 PM   #3
skillet

I always liked the manual choke on the Roch. 2 barrel on my '67. So when I got my '69 it had the manifold choke, but it didn't work to suit me. So instead of fooling with it, I made it into a manual choke. I didn't buy anything, just used a coat hanger and drilled a couple of holes. It has worked good so far.
Attached Images

Last edited by skillet; 12-16-2010 at 06:24 PM.
skillet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:54 PM   #4
slikside

Alsohim, I just rebuilt my divorced choke q-jet, but I cant post anything for you for a couple days....sorry about that. But if you look at skillets picture, the fast idle cam would barely even be visible. it is mounted on the same shaft as the choke lever (the outer most, odd shaped lever with the coat hangar through it) but closest to the bowl. this choke lever also has a long tang on it's forward edge (right side in pic) protruding inward toward the bowl. the fast idle cam must be installed so that it is riding on top of this tang.

The choke coil rod goes into the open verticle slot on the rear (left) side of the aforementioned choke lever.

If all is set correctly, this is how it works: when the engine is cold, depress the accelerator once. when the throttle opens, the coil will pull the choke lever counterclockwise closing the choke valve and raising the forward tang. This will position the throttle linkage on the high step of the fast idle cam...the cam is positioned by the tang which raised it. When the engine starts, you tap the accelerator again, and the throttle linkage moves to the 2nd step on the fast idle cam and this i where the linkage remains until the engine is sufficiently warmed up. The next time the accelerator is tapped, the fast idle cam will move to it's lowest position, and your at idle. as the engine is warmed up the coil extends, rotating the choke linkage clock wise... opening the choke valve, and moving the tang down and away from the fast idle cam. Cam can therefore "fall" to its next step each time the accelerator is pressed.

This is all from my memory, so forgive me if I'm a little off, but that's how i remember it. Gotta have the tang below the fast idle cam. I'll try and get some pics up for you if you haven't got figured out by the time I can post 'em.

Good luck!
slikside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:18 PM   #5
alsohim

It was the secondary lockout that has me stumped but I got it and man is she purrin!! I forgot how much fun this stuff is.

Thanks to all
Kaleb
Old 12-16-2010, 10:35 PM   #6
slikside

Glad to hear it. Yeah, what a difference a fresh rebuild makes huh?
slikside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:32 PM   #7
alsohim

Quote:
Originally Posted by slikside View Post
Glad to hear it. Yeah, "what a difference a fresh rebuild makes huh?"
Oh Yea she has life again with the 4:10 rears she'll bark 2nd.

Kaleb