The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-17-2010, 11:43 AM   #1
candyx

57 frame restoration

I'm about to pull my frame out of my 57 3100 ,i have the parallel 4 bar mocked up.I want to box the frame rails front to back add the IFS which i have been learning towards the No Limit Engineering ifs and the frame cross member from Progressive Automotive.My question is should i just seporate the frame and box the rails then reassemble the frame with the new ifs and cross member or keep it together while i do all the changes and remove the old cross members as i go? i plan to weld up every hole in the frame rails that is not in use so it doesn't look like swiss cheese.Then the frame will be powdercoated which leads me to another question,since the rails will be boxed and open on the ends i doubt the powercoater will be able to coat the inside of the rails.Do i need to worry about the inside of the rails rusting or should i try to coat the inside of the rails with something after the powedcoat is completed?
candyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 01:56 PM   #2
57ToyBox

Re: 57 frame restoration

I would specifically ask you PC guy to spray inside the boxed in frame rails to insure it doesn't rust in there and eventually rowen the finish on the outside of the frame rails.
57ToyBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:53 PM   #3
hotrod1
56 - autocross

check out my build. 56 pro touring
hotrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:03 PM   #4
candyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod1 View Post
check out my build. 56 pro touring
I have been watching your build you really did alot of fab on your frame very impressive.Maybe you can tell me why the rear of the frame channel leg on the bottom is smaller then the top of the channel behind the shock cross member.What was the purpose of that from the factory,did you box this area?Do you cut the top of the channel to match the bottom to keep the box plate plumb?
candyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:44 AM   #5
hotrod1
56 - autocross

I dont know what the purpose was. We will be boxing this area after we figure out rear end placement and shock attachment. The last cross member will most likely be removed as well. We will then box that area. We have a No Limit 21 gal tank that will go into that area. We made sure that any area on the frame where it was not equal were trimmed to make sure that it came out square.
hotrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote