The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-24-2010, 01:16 AM   #1
Dru

Were there many non CC 1 ton longbeds made?

I was just curious of people happen to have, or see many plain non crew cab longbeds?

Those of you who might have been following my build, know that I recently swapped in a 1 ton crossmember into 1/2 ton, and ran into an issue with one wheel closer to a fender.

Have identified the problem, and received some info that the truck had actually been in an accident many years ago, I should have noticed the overspray.

As we were measuring tonight, I found a kink under the cab of my truck, in the frame.

I recently let go of a 1 ton CC frame, that I could have cut down, and I see a lot of CC's, but I haven't found many regular or dually 1 ton longbeds.

From what I have read, though I could be wrong, the 1 ton uses a thicker gauge frame then even the 3/4 ton, I want the strongest frame possible.

Hoping for info, incase they are hard to find, I can just plan on finding a CC frame to shorten.

Thank you.
Dru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 01:53 AM   #2
Walts_restoration
Real Projects never die

Re: Were there many non CC 1 ton longbeds made?

yeah they made them in one ton form either 2wd or 4wd. They are out there just gotta keep your eyes open. The spring perches are narrower by 2" in the rear i believe, and the frames are taller as well.

My name tag says Ryan

KansasTwister On other forums
Walts_restoration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 04:32 AM   #3
Dru

Walts_restoration, thank you.

I"ll have to keep a look out. I seen a camper special on Ebay, but my Googling hadn't turned up many longbed 1 tons, or atleast people talking about them, was getting a little concerned.

I wonder if the 4WD frames have the same hole pattern for the crossmember as the 2WD's.

Pretty sure you're right about the perches. The shocks on the 1 ton CC dually frame that I had, were mounted on the inside of the frame with brackets, a way beefier design than the 1/2 ton frames.

Planning on finding a later model 2500 8 lug rear with disc brakes, if theyre not too wide. The mounting for all of that wont be a concern, its all going to have to be fabbed.
Old 12-24-2010, 04:35 AM   #4
Walts_restoration
Real Projects never die

why a later model? I would use a stock rear and a disc conversion kit all the offroad vendors offer. people have had nothing but problems with the disc with internal drum style rears from what i heard, at least in retrofit. Then of course a driveshaft mounted E brake for safetys safe.

You can also use eldrado calipers, but people say they arent always the best holding ability of an Ebrake.

My name tag says Ryan

Old 12-24-2010, 04:36 AM   #5
Walts_restoration
Real Projects never die

Oh, and the kits they offer allow you to use the same calipers you do on the front as you do the rear. I was thinking it might help the braking ability if you use a half ton caliper on the rear due to the smaller piston and then it keeps the majority of your braking force up front, but ive never played with the disc conversion though.

My name tag says Ryan

Old 12-25-2010, 11:38 PM   #6
Dru

I was just looking at it pricewise on the newer rear end. Just kind of figured by the time I buy an older used unit, freshen it up, then add the disc kit, I would end up with more spent, than sourcing a good newer unit.

Did a little research on the disc brake kits, but some of them looked kinda hokey, and turned me off. I seen one company that had some pretty thick plates, and even found the diagram somewhere online. I could make my own brackets and save money, but I have so much work ahead of me as it is.

I didnt happen to see the kit where I could use my 1/2 ton calipers, I thought they were all ElDorado, but I will have to be on the lookout for it. That would be nice to be able to reuse the ones left on the old 1/2 ton crossmember, could keep a few dollars left in my pocket.

Thank you for the information about the newer rear, and braking ability. Think I may just go with a stock rear after all.

Very much appreciated.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:10 PM   #7
str8axle55

If you want a reg cab longbed 1 ton frame, look around in your area for someone parting old military CUCV`s. They are 4wd, but are true 1 ton frame`s, seen a few around me for sale. It seems the trucks get stipped for the axle`s, bodies and parts and no one wants the frames. I`d like to strip mine to make a CCLB, or SB, swap it all into a 2WD frame, and make it 4WD. I don`t see a lot of 1 ton CCLB SRW trucks for sale around me.
str8axle55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 09:28 PM   #8
Wildstreak
"something witty here"

my bad
71 burb 2wd: 350 4spd
71 lwb fleetside 4x4: 350/sm465/205/3.07 eaton posi rear
72 lwb fleetside Cheyenne 454/th400
1991 GMC V3500 CC 4x4

Last edited by Wildstreak; 12-27-2010 at 01:04 AM.
Wildstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:33 AM   #9
Magnimike1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildstreak View Post
I just bought one, its a lil rough but all the drivetrain has been rebuilt. And the PO gave me a new grill and a ton of parts. Even has a cherry box for me and another tranny. Theyre out there, ya just have to look on clist and kijiji and other places...
He wrote non-crew cab
Magnimike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:04 AM   #10
Wildstreak
"something witty here"

ahh I guess I skipped that part lol
71 burb 2wd: 350 4spd
71 lwb fleetside 4x4: 350/sm465/205/3.07 eaton posi rear
72 lwb fleetside Cheyenne 454/th400
1991 GMC V3500 CC 4x4
Wildstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 01:30 AM   #11
60-66 Nut
Professional Beer Tester

Dru, I have a clean strait '82 one ton reg cab frame you'd be welcome to, but I'm about 750 miles from you so I guess it doesn't do you much good. Sorry.

60-66 Nut
65 C80 409 V8 5spd(X-Firetruck)
83 GMC 350 Olds Diesel
85 GMC Short Bed
86 GMC Short Bed
90 GMC R3500 Crew Cab
92 GMC 1500
60-66 Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:06 AM   #12
Dru

Thank you all for the replies, and shoot I dont mind pics of any style, lol.

60-66 Nut, I have drove 500 miles for a deal on a big block, so don't put it past me. I dont claim to be the brightest.

Posted on the local craigslist, and may have a lead to one, but I have to wait for the people to get back in town. Last time I waited for a control arm, I never got a call back from the guy, and my call avoided, while waiting for him to remove it, so who knows how this will go. Hopefully it works out, cant believe I missed a bent frame, as much as I had been under it.

Last edited by Dru; 12-30-2010 at 05:07 AM.