The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-30-2010, 04:46 PM   #1
jjjmm56

What price would you put on your truck?

Well today a had someone make me a great offer on my truck. I wasn't thinking of selling it but now I don't know. I haven't even got the inside done,and have not had the chance to show it yet. The money would give me the chance to do another higher end build. It's a hard chioce. I've had it for 20yrs, and spent an estimated 3hrs a day for the last 2 yrs to get it were it is today.
jjjmm56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:11 PM   #2
Number 9

Re: What price would you put on your truck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjmm56 View Post
Well today a had someone make me a great offer on my truck. I wasn't thinking of selling it but now I don't know. I haven't even got the inside done,and have not had the chance to show it yet. The money would give me the chance to do another higher end build. It's a hard chioce. I've had it for 20yrs, and spent an estimated 3hrs a day for the last 2 yrs to get it were it is today.
If your passion is building and you would like do do a different one go for it.
Pics please.
Number 9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:28 PM   #3
Trucknut57

I have had my 57 for over 20 years and would never sell it.
Reasons:
1st, It was bought new by my uncle, who gave it to my dad, who gave it to me.
2nd, the truck is part of the family and (as much as we want to sometimes) you can't replace family.
3rd, It is such a cool truck and gets a ton of compliments every where I go in it.
Lastly, I want to pass it onto my son when he feels he wants it.

- dcozzi
Trucknut57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:45 PM   #4
lpguy

Whats the history On the truck? If you bought it yourself and want something different i would say go for it and sell it.. If its handed down keep it.. I know when my dad feels its time hes going to hand me the keys to his 69 nova and that thing will stay in my family forever. I will say after having a truck for that long i can garuntee you will have sellers remorse..
lpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:51 PM   #5
jjjmm56

My big problem is, and this has happened before. You never get credit for the build. Years ago I sold a Harley that I just finished and ended up seeing it in Easyrider show and mag with no mention of ME. I did some painting for my buddies hot rod shop and came across one of the cars at a show and the owner said HE built and painted it. Changed his tune when I showed him and everyone else that was hearing his story were I signed the paint job. Trucknuts I don't have a history as you do with my truck other than having to redo after letting it sit for years.
Attached Images

jjjmm56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:15 PM   #6
Number 9

Mighty fine truck.
Number 9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:37 PM   #7
S10Fan
Old Heap Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by number 9 View Post
mighty fine truck.
x2

'99 Silverado 1500, 4.3, 5-speed, reg cab, short bed
'50 Chevy 2DR Hard Top, 350/350, M2 Front End, 3:08 gear, cruiser.
'40 F**d Sedan, all Chevy power, Heidt's front end, TCI rear, nice driver.
S10Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:43 PM   #8
OrrieG

Nice truck. I've had mine since 1976 and this is the third rebuild on it. I would have a hard time selling it, lots of memories and work. Intent is to drive it into the ground as one of my DD's for the next 25 years. My 64 Chevelle is my next project.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:28 PM   #9
67swb72klb

sweeeet !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-30-2010, 11:10 PM   #10
troy54gmc

I say keep it and finish it. Youve had it for 20 years whats 1 more. enjoy the fruits of your labor, then when the fruit is dried up and starts to smell, then sell it. Youll probably get more for it then, and then start a new project. I duno but it is a sweet looking truck......
troy54gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:33 PM   #11
bobinbc

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy54gmc View Post
I say keep it and finish it. Youve had it for 20 years whats 1 more. enjoy the fruits of your labor, then when the fruit is dried up and starts to smell, then sell it. Youll probably get more for it then, and then start a new project. I duno but it is a sweet looking truck......
X2 Keep it for a bit, get the guy's number. It's not going to go down in value. I sold a very nice, low mileage 67 RS SS Camaro to a friend and he's kept it now for about 10 years. Every year he gets a better offer from 1 or 2 guys but he doesn't really need the cash and he enjoys the car (current offers are in the $75k range) One more, I sold my 57 a few years ago barely after completing it and now I REALLY wish I had hung onto it. It really wouldn't make any difference to me today if I'd sold it for more at the time. I'm finding it a lot harder to find time to build the replacement.....

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=413635

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cana...geChevyTrucks/
bobinbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:10 AM   #12
BigJock

Many of us put hundreds if not thousands of hours of our own leisure time into these trucks,and if you were paying yourself shop rates,most of our trucks would be worth/cost an absolute fortune.....
How much do you value your own labour?

I suppose you have to weigh up what the buyer wants to pay, against your own ideas of what you think the truck's worth.
Add into that the fact you've had your truck 20 years,they're must be sentimental value there too.

I've never done a project for personal gain, for me it's purely self indulgent fun.

I've always said, the day I walk away from my car or truck after I park it and don't look back at it with a little smile....it's time for it to go.
BigJock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 08:11 AM   #13
masshole

well said..BigJock!!
masshole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:01 AM   #14
mr48chev

Only if you have so many ideas for a new truck that you may have lost interest in this one already. And it makes sense that a guy would be willing to pay top dollar for a truck that has never been shown as once they have been shown for a while they are old news and don't often win awards or get attention like they did the first year out. One reason you see some well known year or two old rods, customs or trucks go for pennies on the dollar at Barrett Jackson auctions.

As far as my truck, it's been in the family too long to sell unless the family doesn't like the next reincarnation or I don't like it as well as I think I will.

Last edited by mr48chev; 12-31-2010 at 11:08 AM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:05 AM   #15
Chevy350V8
Semper Fi!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy54gmc View Post
x3

Keep it, Its a AWESOME truck and for you to have 20 years in it, Man its silly to sell it.

"IT ONLY TAKES EVERYTHING YOU GOT!!"

Semper Fi
Chevy350V8 is offline   Reply With Quote