The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-31-2010, 12:09 PM   #1
DransportGarage

Block-to-Radiator Dimension, etc.

I am changing over to a 383 stroker from the ol' 6-cylinder. The cab is off the frame, and I'd like to weld in the crossmembers. I have 3 questions:

1) What dimension should I leave between the radiator and the water pump mounting surface on the block?

2) Right now, the radiator/core support is just bolted to the mounts at the bottom. When the inner fenders are put on, does the radiator get pulled toward the front or the truck, toward the cowl, or neither? I seem to remember doing this when I put the front end together the last time.)

3) I have the engine crossmember angling toward the rear. (See pic #2.) If I angle it toward the front it looks like it will hit the IFS. Is it OK to angle it toward the rear?

Thanks,
Bob
Attached Images

Last edited by DransportGarage; 12-31-2010 at 12:12 PM.
DransportGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 01:08 PM   #2
Rude Dude

Re: Block-to-Radiator Dimension, etc.

I set my motor in with the cab installed on I gave it enough room to slide the HEI Distro in and out without hassle (about 1/2) from firewall. I built my side mounts I am not running a tube mount cause of Mustang II. I didnt not want any interference with headers so far I had tight tuck style but changed to long tube headers (just my preference) plenty of clearance on both.

I fashioned my mounts pretty much like link below
http://www.classicperform.com/Store/...ks/CP4810S.htm

Last edited by Rude Dude; 12-31-2010 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Forgot link
Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 01:41 PM   #3
DransportGarage

Thanks, Rude Dude. I guess I'm getting lazy in my old age, but I didn't want to set the cab back on now. If I had your dimension from block to radiator (or someone else's), it would help me.

I should add that I'll be running a short water pump, and that someday I might want to add a shroud and electric fan.

Thanks,
Bob
Old 12-31-2010, 02:56 PM   #4
mr48chev

If you dropped a couple of long bolts through the front cab mount bolt holes in the floor of the cab and used something for a straight edge across them and measured from the center line to the front of the firewall you would be able to know where your firewall sets.
Be sure to leave room for your transmission dipstick tube and clearance to pull the distributor out.
It should be pretty easy for you to create a set of front mounts similar to what Rude Dude posted or here is a link to some more Ideas http://www.welderseries.com/catalog/...hp?cPath=22_67

Last edited by mr48chev; 12-31-2010 at 05:05 PM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:41 PM   #5
Rude Dude

Hey Dransport my set up is totally different than yours, the tranny crossmember that I used is almost straight were as yours dips down and the tube style motor mounts are also different, for motor measurement I used front corner of head to core support I got 17 1/2 inches. I am running a 67-69 Camaro radiator with good clearance for fan. I still would tack it in with Cab so you can measure twice weld once. Your mustang II looks like Fatman mine is TCI.
Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 04:37 PM   #6
DransportGarage

I just hate it when someone forces me to do something the right way! I had the cab on the rotisserie, waiting for better weather and a shot at blasting it, but it needed to be in place for this.

Anyway, the cab is back on the chassis, properly mounted with shims, and torqued. The engine/trans is on the floor, nearly in position. My '55 Sedan has about 11" between the block and the radiator, so that'll be my sanity check, along with your dimension. The way things look, I'll be able to fab some mounts off of the IFS crossmember and boxed frame, similar to what Fatman sells.

My suspension is a Fatman, only because my buddy is a dealer. If he hadn't been I would have gone with Scott's, here on the board.

mr48chev, thanks for mentioning the trans filler tube. R.D., thanks for filling in the blanks!

Best,
Bob

Last edited by DransportGarage; 12-31-2010 at 04:40 PM.