The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-11-2010, 09:48 AM   #1
jitteryguy
GoatLube Experss

new cam,,, runs like crap !

I plan on a road trip in the Dually when I go home on R&R, It's been need'n lifters since I bought it and I bought a cam kit right befor I left ,,, so I had a neighbor install the cam and lifter's,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
first thing to go wrong was the fan explode'd while he was set'n the time'n ! took out the water pump and the new radiator I had just install'd.
second thing (minor) was the vacum line on the modulator broke, it would'nt shift on the first test drive.
Now, the vacum line, fan, water pump and radiator have been replaced , it starts right up but when ya rev the engine it pops back thru the throttle body ?
the neighbor and my girlfreind have replaced the plugs, cap, rotor, plug wires, readjust'd the valves ?
she sent me a video of it be'n start'd the first time and it was run'n good till the fan explode'd. he's check'd every thing I can think of, ya'll got any idea's ?
it's a Comp Energy cam, 260 duration-440 lift.
'92 S10 350/350
'84 MonteCarlo 383/PG/9"ford
'78 Malibu wagon 350/350
'78 Cutlass (project family car)
'96 S10 Jimmy (Moma's)
jitteryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:58 AM   #2
smashingchuck
It'd be alot cooler if you did

Re: new cam,,, runs like crap !

Sounds like a timing issue or maybe the cam duration is too steep for the tbi computer?

4Runner Build
smashingchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 10:39 AM   #3
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

My concern is in the first statement, "It's been need'n lifters since I bought it"...
Why? and how would you know? If the lifters are "worn", this is a far bigger problem than you think.

Chuck brings up a good point, are you sure that this cam is compatible with the TBI? Wouldn't it at least need a "chip flash" to see any real gain anyway? Computers are not usually very happy about their parameters being messed-with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.

Last edited by LONGHAIR; 12-11-2010 at 10:40 AM.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 11:36 AM   #4
jitteryguy
GoatLube Experss

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
My concern is in the first statement, "It's been need'n lifters since I bought it"...
Why? and how would you know? If the lifters are "worn", this is a far bigger problem than you think.

Chuck brings up a good point, are you sure that this cam is compatible with the TBI? Wouldn't it at least need a "chip flash" to see any real gain anyway? Computers are not usually very happy about their parameters being messed-with.
the lifter's would bleed down over night, take a while the next day to pump back up enough to quit rattle'n, when I change'd oil they would pump up quicker than when it was get'n due the next change.

when I bought the cam , I didnt realize there may be an issue with the TBI and the cam. even now I wonder bout it, this a very mild cam, plus the fact that it ran fine the first day. how would I know for sure if they are compatible? I look'd in the newest Jeg's catolog and it dont have any foot notes or nothen bout it !
I'm hope'n for a time'n issue he has over look'd !
'92 S10 350/350
'78 Malibu wagon 350/350
'96 S10 Jimmy (Moma's)
Old 12-11-2010, 12:28 PM   #5
jitteryguy
GoatLube Experss

I look'd on Compcams.com , it dont say anything about the computer or TBI issue's, it does say I cant run stock valve spring's ! I'm wonder'n now if it has broken a valve spring or somethen ?
'92 S10 350/350
'78 Malibu wagon 350/350
'96 S10 Jimmy (Moma's)
Old 12-11-2010, 12:40 PM   #6
thirdstreettito
Resident of Here

Did you remember to do the 20 minute 2K rpm break in? Then of course replace the oil/filter. That thing will heap of trouble if it isnt broken in correctly.

Miss having a truck
thirdstreettito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 12:47 PM   #7
spudz

With todays zinkless oil..... When breaking in a flat tappet cam...you MUST add break in oil suplement...
2004 z71, 96 z71 on 38s, 88 Chevy k5 blazer, 4in lift. 84 swb project, 82 SWB project , 84 chevy 4x4 lwb project, 88 Jimmy beater/highschool ride. 79 c30. 99 tahoe 4x4 project. and a bunch of parts trucks..
spudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 12:49 PM   #8
S10Fan
Old Heap Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudz View Post
With todays zinkless oil..... When breaking in a flat tappet cam...you MUST add break in oil suplement...
Amen!

ZDDP is cheap insurance!

'99 Silverado 1500, 4.3, 5-speed, reg cab, short bed
'50 Chevy 2DR Hard Top, 350/350, M2 Front End, 3:08 gear, cruiser.
'40 F**d Sedan, all Chevy power, Heidt's front end, TCI rear, nice driver.
S10Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 02:34 PM   #9
wyattglock

I have been thinking about swapping the cam in my 454 tbi. I called Summit and told them my setup, and with a grain of salt, they recommended a Comp Cams. Cnat remember the exact one off hand. But they did say that it would be compatible with the stock computer and engine setup. Although I think a reflash would still help it out. Give Jegs a call or email and they will help you out. Be specific on what you have done to the truck so far and they can get your best match.
wyattglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 02:44 PM   #10
jitteryguy
GoatLube Experss

ya, they used the aditive and ran it for bout 30 minutes at a little above idle and changed the oil again, it ran good the first day till the fan explode'd.
I told my girlfreind to take it to buddy's shop monday if the neighbor has'nt got by then. I order'd the recomend'd valve spring's just in case, mabey it has snap one or somethen ?
suck's to be 10,000 miles away from your truck and know it's not run'n right ! I wonder if would qualify for "family emergency leave" ?
'92 S10 350/350
'78 Malibu wagon 350/350
'96 S10 Jimmy (Moma's)
Old 12-11-2010, 04:01 PM   #11
pig rig

that cam dosnt sound like its to big to screw with the vacum enough to freak the ecm out I start with checking to see if the timing is a tooth off but if it ran good while braking it in you may have broke a spring (you might get luck and spot that with valve cover off) also if you didnt add any thing to the oil for break in you might have flated a lobe
jegs/summit wont tell you if a cam is compatable with your ecm because you can tweak some stuff to make it conpatable but the cam companys will if you take with the tech. dept.

just a heads up just because it sez its works with a computer controled engine dosnt mean it works with all the other stuff you've changed that are compatibal with a comuter controled engine. when I BUILT my engine I started with the idea that if I keep every thing conpatible it will work fine! wrong! what a turd, so after a step learning curv I ended up talking with a guy that could reprogram my ecm.
when I first talked with him he put all my spects in to his computer and with a little math he said I'm leaving 150 to 200 hp on the table cause none of the sensors were in their perameters
lets just say it runs like skulleded dog now

http://hubgarage.s3.amazonaws.com/ph...ped_detail.JPG
pig rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 04:08 PM   #12
wyattglock

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitteryguy View Post
suck's to be 10,000 miles away from your truck and know it's not run'n right ! I wonder if would qualify for "family emergency leave" ?

The Family emergency leave idea is a good one! I dont know if I would have thought of that when I was in the Corps, but it doesnt hurt to ask. Just make sure your platoon sergeant is in a good mood when you do!
BTW, as was said before, if you are wondering about the compatability of the cam with the ecm. I should have also put that the cam companies are one of the best sources.

Thanks for serving and get home safe!
wyattglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 04:25 PM   #13
S10Fan
Old Heap Driver

Several things come to mind.............Are the cam/crank marks properly aligned?......How are the lifters/rockers adjusted?.............Did the installer follow the manufactures written break-in procedure?...........If it were me, I'd have them close the hood, park the truck and eagerly await my arrival. If and that's a BIG if the cam has lost a lobe (improper break-in) that motor needs to be shut down asap! Those metal shavings that were formerly a cam lobe will end up everywhere, especially between bearing surfaces! Ask me how I know. LOL!

And a big huge thank you for your service to the good old USA!!

Old 12-31-2010, 11:56 PM   #14
jitteryguy
GoatLube Experss

well, they pick'd up the truck from the shop last night . runs like a champ ! turn'd out to be a ground issue, I aint clear yet if it was a bad wire or somethen left loose/off ?
I had em replace the Hydro booster, power steer'n pump and all the hose's while they had it .
wednsday my girlfreind will pick me up in Nashville with it then straight to see Trevor at Tennessee tire & wheel to pick up my 22's .
'92 S10 350/350
'78 Malibu wagon 350/350
'96 S10 Jimmy (Moma's)
Old 01-01-2011, 08:08 AM   #15
S10Fan
Old Heap Driver

Quote:
wednsday my girlfreind will pick me up in Nashville with it then straight to see Trevor at Tennessee tire & wheel to pick up my 22's .

Coming home?

Old 01-01-2011, 11:35 AM   #16
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Quote:
well, they pick'd up the truck from the shop last night . runs like a champ ! turn'd out to be a ground issue, I aint clear yet if it was a bad wire or somethen left loose/off ?
I had em replace the Hydro booster, power steer'n pump and all the hose's while they had it .
Welcome home.

Glad they got if figured out for you.

It will definitely need to have the chip tuned to match that cam. It is way bigger than a stock TBI cam so the factory tune is quite a bit off. It may run OK but it is going to be down on power and can get dangerously lean on the top end. With a proper tune to match the cam it will be much stronger and you won't have to worry about burning a hole in a piston when you are out having fun with it.
68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 04:48 PM   #17
jitteryguy
GoatLube Experss

Quote:
Originally Posted by S10Fan View Post
Coming home?

come'n home for 19 days, then back here for 8 more month's
'92 S10 350/350