The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-30-2010, 04:28 PM   #26
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Re: what is up with these people think they got gold in these trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by yote1234 View Post
my view is alot of these trucks that have been "completly" restored, with nos "gm" parts do have lots of dollars in them.. i know i did most of my work with the exception of paint/body/engine, and i have over $42,000 in recipts. not to include my labor! so a truly restored truck should be up in price! gotta pay for quality... and another point of intrest is the supply and demand of these popular vehicles... just my .002 cents...
But I'd rather have your truck,... than any of the new Silverados for the same money.
(plus,... which one will be worth more 20 years from now?)

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823

Last edited by lolife99; 12-30-2010 at 04:29 PM.
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 04:53 PM   #27
BBrendal
Recalculating.....

What Ive also noticed is when I decide I like something and start looking to buy it the price jumps up. You could buy 69 camaros all day in restorable shape for 1500.00 all day. I decide to buy one and you can find anything worth restoring for less then 10000.00. It seems like I can look on ebay today and find a 1976 chevette for 500.00 but if I decide I want to by one tommorow the price will go up to 5000.00. Thats the luck I have.

1969 Chevy Camaro Z28
1972 Chevy Blazer CST
2004 GMC Yukon (The truck that pulls the car trailer)
1972 Chevy Blazer CST #2 (Finished and sold!)

Blazer build link...
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/...rendal/Blazer/
BBrendal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:12 PM   #28
allengator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBrendal View Post
What Ive also noticed is when I decide I like something and start looking to buy it the price jumps up. You could buy 69 camaros all day in restorable shape for 1500.00 all day. I decide to buy one and you can find anything worth restoring for less then 10000.00. It seems like I can look on ebay today and find a 1976 chevette for 500.00 but if I decide I want to by one tommorow the price will go up to 5000.00. Thats the luck I have.
same here... but if I decided to then SELL my chevette, it would go back down to $300!

1980 Chevy SWB Pickup (build thread)

1951 Chevy Sedan Delivery
2004 Chevy Tahoe Z71
2011 Harley Davidson Street Glide
2018 Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
allengator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:07 PM   #29
BigChief4x4

mlm

Last edited by BigChief4x4; 01-03-2011 at 12:24 AM.
BigChief4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:09 PM   #30
70chevytruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde65 View Post
70Chevy,

was the bond/evaluation after the restore/build or before?
Before the restore...I guess they want to make sure everyone is covered if I go crazy and restore this thing for 18K and decide to sell it only to find a problem with the title....$500 truck...$300 title.

70chevytruck
70chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:21 PM   #31
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Windmills View Post
Is it just me or does it seem like now is the perfect time to buy a few of these trucks as investments? Prices seem pretty low now and when the economy recovers they are going to go up with everything else. Every time one of these is parted out, rusted out, or crushed is only raising the price on the existing trucks. There is a limited, ever dwindling supply of good trucks, and demand is only going to go up. I think the best investments will be higher optioned survivors and restored to original spec examples. Original CST's and Super cheyennes, 50th's, 4x4's, BB's will probably see the biggest % increase.

Maybe you don't agree but at least it helps me feel better about buying another truck!
NO!!! Please! Don't start speculating these trucks. Why do you think fuel prices keep shooting up? It's speculators that ruin a hobby for the working man. Don't you think prices have been shooting up? It's bad enough those who moved away from American muscle came back with wads of cash to buy it back. Can't we leave the very dang vehicle made for the working man within his reach?
Some trucks are worth all kinds of crazy money because of one or many factors like it's original build,rarity,highly preserved condition,attention to detail,use of N.O.S. parts,etc. The problem is,this makes some think anything less is worth what they see one go for. The other problem is now there are people who are happy to plunk down huge money for turn key and keep their nails clean. There was a time when most people thought I was nuts for putting $XX,000.00 into a truck just because I wanted to do it. Just because I thought trucks were cool. Just to fulfill a dream. It was the last thing on my mind to think I'd ever get anywhere near what I had into a truck. I'm talking you'd look long and hard to find someone to pay over $5g for one. There was no reproduction parts support back then. You had to use N.O.S.,find good used,donor vehicles,or find junk and fix it. It wasn't easy or cheap and money had nothing to do with it. That's how it was with muscle cars,trucks,Harleys,or anything with wheels. You just did it. Don't get me wrong,I'm not mad. I just felt the need to express my mind. If you want to invest,buy gold or silver.

EDIT: One more thing. Back when I'm talking about (which wasn't that long ago),before trucks started bringing any real money,you couldn't insure one for what you had in it. You couldn't even get full coverage. The same was true for muscle cars. There was only a few companies that would insure a new Harley full coverage. A '72 couldn't get antique insurance until '97 when they turned 25. They were just old vehicles you could only get liability on. I had a '63 Riviera get stolen right after I had it painted. It would have been a total loss (fortunately it was recovered unharmed). Kelly Blue Book didn't know what a 10 year old vehicle was. Again,all I'm saying is "You just do it because you like it".

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 12-30-2010 at 09:42 PM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:26 PM   #32
1970 CST STEP

just remember one thing, what you buy today, will be worth more down the road! the trick is holding onto it!!
1972 SWB FLEET ORIGINAL
1970 CST STEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:39 PM   #33
tolly4503

I agree that the money people want for these trucks is getting bad, but I'm also have JEEP's and always looking for more. They're even worse and usually in worse shape. Jeeps Harleys and muscle cars are worth gold around here, atleast in the eyes of the owners.
tolly4503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 01:05 PM   #34
67swb72klb

good rust free trucks that arenot patched-up are premium trucks will allways bring good money especialy 67-72 models because they are the best ever
Old 01-01-2011, 09:00 PM   #35
72longbed
Account Suspended

Thumbs up Re: what is up with these people think they got gold in these trucks

Consider this maybe:

How can you put a price tag on LOVE?? "What is up with these people that think they got gold in these trucks?" Well, some of these (us) guys have put their heart and soul into meticulously bringing these babies back from the dead and/or near extinction. It's a labor of love.
The countless hours, the research, the bloody knuckles, the pissed-off wives and girlfriends (pissed-off both mine at the same time, many times over my trucks ). And by the way, it ain't cheap to build one the right way!

I'd have to say from devoting myself to improving, repairing, resurrecting, and rejuvinating my trucks .... It was and is worth every penny of it!! But don't try to minimize the VALUE that this whole process puts into one of these "labors of love" .... you can't put a price tag on it, in my opinion.

I love working on my truck, I love driving my truck ... and if and when I ever sell it, I'll ask a price for it that reflects the hard work, CASH, love, care and time that went into it. I'll be proud to ask that price too.

It is not the same as walking into a showroom and plunking down some 'green' for a turn-key, cookie-cutter econobox. Buying a 67-72 truck requires the realization that you will be "INVOLVED" in it's existance!! Some people pay good money for that kind of 'therapy' these days.

72longbed

Last edited by 72longbed; 01-01-2011 at 09:01 PM.
72longbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:38 PM   #36
Vintage Windmills
Vintage 4x4s

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
NO!!! Please! Don't start speculating these trucks. Why do you think fuel prices keep shooting up? It's speculators that ruin a hobby for the working man. Don't you think prices have been shooting up? It's bad enough those who moved away from American muscle came back with wads of cash to buy it back. Can't we leave the very dang vehicle made for the working man within his reach?
Some trucks are worth all kinds of crazy money because of one or many factors like it's original build,rarity,highly preserved condition,attention to detail,use of N.O.S. parts,etc. The problem is,this makes some think anything less is worth what they see one go for. The other problem is now there are people who are happy to plunk down huge money for turn key and keep their nails clean. There was a time when most people thought I was nuts for putting $XX,000.00 into a truck just because I wanted to do it. Just because I thought trucks were cool. Just to fulfill a dream. It was the last thing on my mind to think I'd ever get anywhere near what I had into a truck. I'm talking you'd look long and hard to find someone to pay over $5g for one. There was no reproduction parts support back then. You had to use N.O.S.,find good used,donor vehicles,or find junk and fix it. It wasn't easy or cheap and money had nothing to do with it. That's how it was with muscle cars,trucks,Harleys,or anything with wheels. You just did it. Don't get me wrong,I'm not mad. I just felt the need to express my mind. If you want to invest,buy gold or silver.
just trying to find another truck i really like and that will appreciate if I take good care of it. Then maybe keep my eyes open for good deals on rarer, original trucks (when the seller doesn't know what he has). I think its fun to contemplate what will happen to the price of these trucks in the next decade or so. Looking at what the classic cars market has done, i think the rarer and original spec examples will rise, the most, don't you agree? Certainly dollars are there for quality restorations, but restorations cost a lot more than buying the right original example and taking care of it. I've got to be smart with my money becuase I don't much of it and I would like to retire at some point. I think all these trucks will be quite a bit more expensive when the economy recovers, which it will.

67 GMC K1500 Custom- 305V6 SM420, PTO, Ram Assist, yellow (the outcast) (project period correct upgrades)
67 GMC C2500 351V6 TH400, AC, PS, PB (can't decide what to do with. Update, decided to keep and will restore )
86 CHV K30 502 th400, apple red NEW
71 CHV K20 350 SM465, ochre (saved work truck)
71 CHV K20 292 SM465, white, tach, PTO, (future project)
72 CHV K20 350 350th, medium blue (project stocker)
01 CHV K2500hd crew, indigo blue

^3 dont run and the others don't see winter either
'86 K30 Cummins "Fireside" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=649649
'71 K20 "get driveable" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=590642
'72 K20 Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=493477&page=6
Vintage Windmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:56 PM   #37
mr48chev

I think a lot of the guys with high starting or buy it now prices on Ebay are just fishing for offers. That is outside of the trucks that obviously have a ton of money tied up in them. Most are probably hoping for an offer that is higher than what they think the truck is actually worth but looks like a good deal to the buyer. Basically, think the truck is worth 8K, list it for 16K take an offer for 10K and grin all the way to the bank.
I also think that there are a lot of guys these days who have decided to pay a premium for a nice 67/72 that they always liked and spiff it up rather than put 40, 50 or 60 K into a new truck that will depreciate more in the first year than the cost of the early truck. One of my kids has a two year old Dodge Diesel crew cab that she paid something like 54 K for. She loves it and it's her daily driver but that is more than I paid for my last house.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 11:34 PM   #38
grs

I put $36,000 in a 1950 Mercury 25 years ago. I put $42,000 in a 1956 Chevy Bel Air 5 years ago. We always put more in them, then we get for them. So buy one for 15 to $25,000, or buy a rust bucket and put 15 to $25,000 in it.
grs is offline   Reply With Quote