The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-16-2010, 01:11 PM   #1
53GMC

Gauge Wiring Help Needed

Hey everyone,

I have been looking into getting some autometer gauges that will mount right at the bottom of the dash until i get some nicer ones for my in-dash install....I know that I will be using electrical gauges and not mechanical gauges because of the gauge cluster I will be using from my S10 swap. The plug which plugs into the gauge cluster has many different wires of all colors and I'm not sure which ones to use to connect to my electrical gauges....I have searched the board tirelessly before asking this question and I have gotten responses before telling me where to go to find it or to find one that is close to my year model....but I have not found one I can use. If you have a gauge cluster wiring diagram with color breakdown of the wires I would really appreciate it if you could share it....its for a 1996 Chevrolet S10.

Thank you guys again!

Blake

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=357365

53GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 03:46 PM   #2
RootBeer 6117

Re: Gauge Wiring Help Needed

Is this what your looking for? There are 3 parts to the diagram,the other is lights i.e turn signal, headlamp etc. Just in case you don't know hold your ctrl key down and scroll your mouse wheel you can read it better. If you did know I'm a teacher I assume you know nothing sorry. I looked up a 96 with a 4.3 it should be the same 2.2 or 4.3
Joe
Attached Images

Last edited by RootBeer 6117; 12-16-2010 at 03:56 PM.
RootBeer 6117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:34 AM   #3
53GMC

Joe,

Thank you so much for your help! That is the diagram I have been looking for and have not been able to find ever. Thank you again!! It's great to have such great guys on the forums here!

Blake

Old 12-20-2010, 08:23 AM   #4
RootBeer 6117

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53GMC View Post
Joe,

Thank you so much for your help! That is the diagram I have been looking for and have not been able to find ever. Thank you again!! It's great to have such great guys on the forums here!

Blake
Any time Blake I am glad to help, I have access to Alldata(at school) and Identifix(home and school) if I can help let me know.
Joe
Old 12-23-2010, 02:29 AM   #5
53GMC

I got an oil pressure gauge, water temp, and fuel gauge from AutoMeter and hooked it up using your layout diagrams....works like a charm!!

I was having a little trouble reading the connections for the speedometer and tachometer for what they connect to because they are in the box together in the second diagram....

Is the speedometer connected to DK GREEN and DK GREEN/WHITE wire, the BLK/WHITE (Ground), and PINK (Power distribution wire)

and the Tachometer connected to the White Wire, the BLK/WHITE (Ground), and PINK (Power distribution wire)

the one difference for the DK Green wire for the Speedometer and the White Wire for the Tachometer was what I was wanting to make sure from someone with some experience....

Thanks again for your help...this one diagram was what I have been looking for for a long time and I really appreciate it!

Old 12-23-2010, 02:34 PM   #6
RootBeer 6117

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53GMC View Post
I got an oil pressure gauge, water temp, and fuel gauge from AutoMeter and hooked it up using your layout diagrams....works like a charm!!

I was having a little trouble reading the connections for the speedometer and tachometer for what they connect to because they are in the box together in the second diagram....

Is the speedometer connected to DK GREEN and DK GREEN/WHITE wire, the BLK/WHITE (Ground), and PINK (Power distribution wire)

and the Tachometer connected to the White Wire, the BLK/WHITE (Ground), and PINK (Power distribution wire)

the one difference for the DK Green wire for the Speedometer and the White Wire for the Tachometer was what I was wanting to make sure from someone with some experience....

Thanks again for your help...this one diagram was what I have been looking for for a long time and I really appreciate it!
If you look at your connector you should see small numbers that correspond with the diagram, at the dotted line you see the number on the diagram.
Black and White is ground, pin 11 of your connector
Pink is power , pin 31&28
It looks like dark green is VSS with out Cruise Control and a VCM.
Green and White is VSS With Cruise,PCM, pin 10
I "THINK" its PCM for auto and VCM for manual(not 100%)but I think that's what it means.
White is Tach pin 8

If you like learning I like teaching, let me know if you need any more help
Joe
Old 01-02-2011, 11:44 AM   #7
53GMC

Thank you for all of your help! I really appeciae all of it!