The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-13-2010, 11:46 AM   #1
MrDude_1

Insurance - What is everyone using?

what are you guys using for insurance?

im getting a little annoyed at the cost of the regular insurance companies quotes.... yet the specialty companies wont cover me because:
  • I intend to drive my truck everyday.
  • I "dont have another vehicle"... really i have 4 other motorcycles, and tons of other cars available to me, but I dont "own" one in the household.
  • in last 3 years I had a bike stolen (insurance claim), I got rear ended on the bike, tossed from it, and the moving bike hit a cop car (funny, but still an 'at fault' accident), and i got sideswiped while stopped in traffic (both found at fault according to the cop, even though i was stopped in traffic) thats 3 claims in 3 years.

I got a basic full coverage agreed policy quote from progressive, and initially
they were looking at 320ish a month.. if i wanted to pay that much, id drive an exotic car everyday.. lol.
same company with liability only, with just the one vehicle on the policy is $49 a month.. i think thats telling me, they just dont want to really insure the truck.

but like i said, the specialty companies say NO because i intend to actually DRIVE the truck.
MrDude_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:54 AM   #2
Allensracing

Re: Insurance - What is everyone using?

I am old, and a fairly clean record. I pay about $250 a year for the minimum liability on just my 64 truck through "cost-u-less".
I have my motorcycles listed with a different company
20 years ago I had a completely clean record and paid over $1000 a month on the very same truck, for the same coverage

with your record, I dont think $600 a year is bad at all.

EDIT:paid over $1000 a year, not month

Last edited by Allensracing; 12-13-2010 at 12:11 PM.
Allensracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:04 PM   #3
MrDude_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allensracing View Post
I am old, and a fairly clean record. I pay about $250 a year for the minimum liability on just my 64 truck through "cost-u-less".
I have my motorcycles listed with a different company
20 years ago I had a completely clean record and paid over $1000 a month on the very same truck, for the same coverage

with your record, I dont think $600 a year is bad at all.
naa, the $49 a month thing is fine.. thats inline with all my bikes.... but thats liability only... its legal to drive, but if someone rearends me and runs, or smashes it in a parking lot, thats all coming out of my pocket.
MrDude_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:05 PM   #4
Allensracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDude_1 View Post
naa, the $49 a month thing is fine.. thats inline with all my bikes.... but thats liability only... its legal to drive, but if someone rearends me and runs, or smashes it in a parking lot, thats all coming out of my pocket.
I understand. thats why I never shop at Kmart

my trucks are in primer, and always have been. occasionally I see scratches in the primer when I come out of stores. I feel sorry for the poor car that did it.

I am not trying to be rude or anything, but if i was sitting in an insurance office looking at your driving record I would charge a hell of a lot too

Last edited by Allensracing; 12-13-2010 at 12:10 PM.
Allensracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:20 PM   #5
OrrieG

You do not say your age but I assume you are over 25 so you are not in the under 25 higher risk category. When I was that age I way on assigned risk policies because of traffic tickets and one accident. Light bulb went off and by the time I was 26 I had a clean record for insurance purposes. Big difference in rates. I then insured with Allstate and have been with them since. In almost 35 years I have filed three claims. My 64 Chevelle is my DD and insured as second car after my wifes new car. I looked at other companies and could not qualify for the classic insurance because of mileage and time limitations, and that it is a DD. Lying would void the insurance. Other main line companies would not insure such an old car as a primary driver even though it is in better shape than most 10 YO POS cars on the road. I pay $56 per mo for my wifes 05 Honda CRV, $41 for my 64 Chevelle. Both above minimum values full coverage policies. The Chevelle has an agreed on value of $10,000, the minimum available.

Insurance companies look at risk. Your history of behavior, based on the public record, is very high risk. You need to find out how to corrrect that (probably time) and do it. In the mean time you might need to get another insurable vehicle as the primary and do you truck as the secondary so the overall coverage is less and the truck is insurable as a DD.

Last edited by OrrieG; 12-13-2010 at 02:25 PM.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:23 PM   #6
timjt

yah, it s**ks being 22

1983 short n wide custom deluxe SOLD

1985 silverado longbed 305 engine 700r4

OH NO! NOT ANOTHER LEARNING EXPERIENCE!!!

"Just because you can do it, doesn't mean that you should"
timjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:24 PM   #7
Allensracing

I agree. assuming your truck is a nice one, you might consider driving a beater until Murphys Law quits following you around and your record clears up. that way you can use minimum liability and have an excuse to do a ground up rebuild on your other truck
Old 01-03-2011, 08:43 AM   #8
anton.moseley

I understand your point of specialty companies not showing the kind of interest they should due to the claims (or anything else that I’ve missed?). Try others – Geico, The Hartford, State farm, etc - that may offer competitive rates when compared to Progressive. You never know, you may end up saving few $$s!
anton.moseley is offline   Reply With Quote