The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-20-2010, 10:50 AM   #1
colbyclay

after new carb, cannot get idle down without stalling [Solved]

Hello everyone,
I am working on rebuilding a 1971 C-10 with my dad. We recently put on a new Quadrajet Carb and replaced the points, condenser, coil, and distributor. (here is a link to my post on that):
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4123824

Now, the truck turns over beautifully, but we had to set the idle to around 6000rpm! We set the points with a dwell meter, but when I try to back off the idle, it stalls out. I tried adjusting the idle mixture with the screws in the front of the carb, but that didn't have any appreciable change. Any ideas on what we could do to get it down to a normal idle?

Thanks

Last edited by colbyclay; 01-04-2011 at 02:14 PM. Reason: added details, changed RPMs.
colbyclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:14 AM   #2
cdowns

Re: after new carb, cannot get idle down without stalling

could b a vaccume leak
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:22 AM   #3
colbyclay

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
could b a vacuum leak
I have a manual choke that has one vacuum line for the vac assist, then there are two vac inlets on the front of the carburetor that are capped. I have checked and none of them are leaking.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:10 PM   #4
Sinister
Between Trucks...

600 rpm sounds low to me.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:21 PM   #5
haysonj

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbyclay View Post
I have a manual choke that has one vacuum line for the vac assist, then there are two vac inlets on the front of the carburetor that are capped. I have checked and none of them are leaking.
You need to spray WD 40 around the base of the carb and along the intake to see if there is a leak, you will get a change in rpm if there is. As far as idle rpm I don't know what engine you have but 600 is normal for the auto and 700 for the manual trans. on a V8.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:53 PM   #6
colbyclay

Quote:
Originally Posted by haysonj View Post
You need to spray WD 40 around the base of the carb and along the intake to see if there is a leak, you will get a change in rpm if there is. As far as idle rpm I don't know what engine you have but 600 is normal for the auto and 700 for the manual trans. on a V8.
Great! Ill try that next time I am up there. I need to say though, I left a zero off the RPM. It is 6000, not 600. I would be really happy if it was at 600.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:07 PM   #7
haysonj

Quote:
Great! Ill try that next time I am up there. I need to say though, I left a zero off the RPM. It is 6000, not 600. I would be really happy if it was at 600.
Your tach is messed up because a stock engine won't run to 6000 continuously. If it is running that fast you have the throttle stuck open.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:16 PM   #8
colbyclay

Quote:
Originally Posted by haysonj View Post
Your tach is messed up because a stock engine won't run to 6000 continuously. If it is running that fast you have the throttle stuck open.
We were using a dwell meter that had an rpm setting, so I dont doubt that I didnt read it correctly. We drove it around yesterday and I was joking that it was cruise control. When we had to stop I would kill the engine since it was paining me to hear it revving that high. Basing the sound on what my Ford ranger 4 cyl. sounds like, it is around 4-5Krpms. When I adjust the idle screw a quarter turn, it will run ok for a few seconds, then just drop and die. I did have it adjusted where it would drop down into what I would call a stall (like an airplane), then it would run back up. This cycled about every 10-15 seconds. This was after adjusting the idle mixture screws.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:31 PM   #9
haysonj

Quote:
We were using a dwell meter that had an rpm setting, so I dont doubt that I didnt read it correctly. We drove it around yesterday and I was joking that it was cruise control. When we had to stop I would kill the engine since it was paining me to hear it revving that high. Basing the sound on what my Ford ranger 4 cyl. sounds like, it is around 4-5Krpms. When I adjust the idle screw a quarter turn, it will run ok for a few seconds, then just drop and die. I did have it adjusted where it would drop down into what I would call a stall (like an airplane), then it would run back up. This cycled about every 10-15 seconds. This was after adjusting the idle mixture screws.
The floats could be stuck or adjusted wrong and it is just dumping fuel into the intake. You could try tapping on the front top of the carb to see if it will settle down. Don't hit it hard. You could also look into the carb while it is running and see if fuel is dumping from the bowls.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:51 PM   #10
C-10 simplex
Account Suspended

What's your initial timing set at?
C-10 simplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:20 PM   #11
kevmic28

If it were me I would take the new carb back and get it replaced with another. I have seen several threads on here where the new rebuilt quadrajet was junk.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:50 PM   #12
Wrenchbender Ret

Make sure the intake manifold, carb base, & gasket all match. There are variations in those years & if it all doesn't line up you have a horrible vacuum leak.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:55 AM   #13
colbyclay

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-10 simplex View Post
What's your initial timing set at?
We haven't been able to set the timing yet, since we are revving so high. We have to get to 600RPM for the timing to work.

Quote:
Make sure the intake manifold, carb base, & gasket all match. There are variations in those years & if it all doesn't line up you have a horrible vacuum leak.
Quote:
I think you guys might be onto something there. Thinking more on it, the last time it backfired, I think it blew out the back of the carb. I am going to laugh if that is it. I was telling my dad that it had to be something small.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:06 AM   #14
tex_waco_usmc
Project Heaven in my 67!!!

This is most definitely one of two problems...IMO...

You either have the timing way off...I know it is hard to do, but try loosening the hold down bolt, mark its original location, and then move it gradually to get it to settle out. When I put my edelbrock on my 350 we ran into the same problem and through some trial and error we were able to get it close enough that I could do the adjustment on the carb and then went back and set the timing and then checked the carb adjustment and timing once again...

....OR.....

Your Carb is junk out of the box, this has also been the case with a bunch of Q-junks. They are extremely hard to rebuild, if it is not done properly it will do crazy things like you are speaking of...

Just my .02....
tex_waco_usmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:54 PM   #15
Wrenchbender Ret

There is a large opening in the rear of the carb for power brake vacuum outlet. If you are not useing it put a 1/4 in. pipe plug in it.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:50 PM   #16
dadsworktruck

Ok let me see if i can follow what you did to this truck, it was running as per other posting, gas was leaking so you bought new carb, then with new carb it backfired and then you started replacing parts,eg...point, dist, cond, etc,,,,,am i close to correct? if so then your problem was the base gasket didnt match the manifold , which caused all your problems, now you will have to start over, pull carb off and match your gaskets to the carb and manifold, then you can go back to troubleshooting one item at a time.hope this helps.
dadsworktruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:14 PM   #17
colbyclay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenchbender Ret View Post
There is a large opening in the rear of the carb for power brake vacuum outlet. If you are not useing it put a 1/4 in. pipe plug in it.
And that solved this problem. Thanks Wrenchbender!