The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-04-2011, 07:59 PM   #1
loridr

Lowering blocks with 15" wheels?

Still thinking about what to do with my rear suspension. I'm satisfied with my 4/5 drop.

Current setup is 5" rear springs without relocating shocks or doing a notch and I’m running the stock panhard bar.

Can I run 2" lowering blocks with 15" wheels?

If so, and I switch to 3" springs, that setup would eliminate any need for a notch, I could use the stock panhard bar and I wouldn't really need to relocate the shocks either, correct?
loridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:06 PM   #2
Mike J
vw guy & now c-10 guy

Re: Lowering blocks with 15" wheels?

well, i'm running 2" blocks AND 5" springs with a 15" wheel, so yeah it's definitely doable, i'm also running c-notch, adj. panhard bar and relocated drop shocks, so can't help you with that part of the equation...
Mike J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:21 PM   #3
loridr

Thanks Mike.

I thought that I'd seen in a thread where you couldn't, and the Porterbuilt trailing arm literature makes a point of saying that you can run their lowered arms with 15" wheels (they are a 3" drop though, not 2“).

So that I'm clear on my understanding of the implications of blocks: they essentially push the trailing arms down towards the ground and decrease the clearance between the trailing arm (actually the bottom of the U-bots) and the ground, correct?
Old 01-04-2011, 08:22 PM   #4
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by loridr View Post
Still thinking about what to do with my rear suspension. I'm satisfied with my 4/5 drop.

Current setup is 5" rear springs without relocating shocks or doing a notch and I’m running the stock panhard bar.

Can I run 2" lowering blocks with 15" wheels?

If so, and I switch to 3" springs, that setup would eliminate any need for a notch, I could use the stock panhard bar and I wouldn't really need to relocate the shocks either, correct?
2" blocks w/a 15" wheel will work but there will be scrub line issues (the bolts will dig into the ground) if you have a flat @ speed. 1.5" blocks won't contact the ground w/a flat unless the rubber comes off the wheel.

5" rear drop is 5" drop regardless of how you arrive there. You're correct & don't need the c-notch unless you put some serious weight in the bed.

5" drop w/springs only definitely needs shock relocators (or shorter shocks) & an adjustable (or modified) Panhard bar to properly center the rear-end. The Panhard bar will be @ an angle that is compromised. It will work but it won't be optimum & will make the truck feel squirrely when turning/cornering on uneven surfaces. The better solution is a Super (long) Track bar (Panhard bar) from Porterbuilt, ECE, or CPP.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 01-04-2011 at 08:22 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:31 PM   #5
loridr

Scoti,

Do you see any advantage at all to going from the 5" springs to blocks plus longer springs? Or am I just back where I started? Wouldn't I at least get more spring and shock travel or am I missing something in my thinking?

With 3" springs and blocks would I still need to relocate the shocks? How about 1.5" blocks and 4" springs?
Old 01-04-2011, 08:44 PM   #6
SCOTI

Quote:
Scoti,

Do you see any advantage at all to going from the 5" springs to blocks plus longer springs? Or am I just back where I started? Wouldn't I at least get more spring and shock travel or am I missing something in my thinking?

With 3" springs and blocks would I still need to relocate the shocks? How about 1.5" blocks and 4" springs?
I feel you should keep the spring as long as possible for the best ride. Lowering blocks yield additional drop w/no effect on spring rate or shock travel so they should definitely be considered.

The 1.5" block & drop spring combo sounds like the best option. The 2" blocks would also work, but you need to know there could possibly be consequences w/that option.

I would prob do the shock relocation brackets or you could tweak the factory shock mounts to ensure the shock angle is as close to stock (optimum) as possible....

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=359399
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Last edited by SCOTI; 01-04-2011 at 08:46 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:05 PM   #7
loridr

Smile Re: Lowering blocks with 15" wheels?

Scoti,

Appreciate your help. Sounds like the way to go is:

1.5 blocks
4" springs
adjustable panhard bar
relocate shocks

One last question (at least until my brain starts doing another burnout )

What is the "optimum" shock angle? As close to vertical as one can get?

My dad and brother have been in the aftermarket leaf spring business all their lives and say that the best setup is one shock in front of the axel and one shock to the rear of the axel; that’s the setup on my Toyota Tacoma but it would look like crap on a hotrod .

Btw: believe it or not, Posies Superslider is my dad’s design, he basically gave it away to Ken.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:53 PM   #8
SCOTI

Quote:
Scoti,

Appreciate your help. Sounds like the way to go is:

1.5 blocks
4" springs
adjustable panhard bar
relocate shocks

One last question (at least until my brain starts doing another burnout )

What is the "optimum" shock angle? As close to vertical as one can get?
Cool deal about your pops. I feel as close to vertical within the spacial constraints is the way to go. I seem to recall reading 35° is about where the shock starts to lose leverage.

I suggest using a long/super Panhard bar set-up & high quality shocks (KYB GR-2's on a budget; Bilsteins otherwise) for best results.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 01-04-2011, 10:38 PM   #9
loridr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Cool deal about your pops.
He's a cool dude, holds 19 patents on various leaf spring suspension designs and components including what I believe was probably the first helper spring setup, the "Stanley Stabilator".

Anyway, thanks again for your help.

Steve

Last edited by loridr; 01-05-2011 at 08:17 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-05-2011, 01:21 PM   #10
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

Quote:
So that I'm clear on my understanding of the implications of blocks: they essentially push the trailing arms down towards the ground and decrease the clearance between the trailing arm (actually the bottom of the U-bots) and the ground, correct?
Here's a visual...
Tubular front and rear suspension
Custom 6-piston front disc and 4-piston rear disc brakes
vin63 is offline   Reply With Quote