The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-05-2011, 08:24 PM   #1
pinecrest

Anybody use a stock differential?

I have been searching, but may have missed the proper keywords, or just plain skipped over a previous thread:

I've got a 1947 Chevy 3/4 ton. I'm switching out the broken 6 to a V8 and updated transmission. Nothing crazy- probably somewhere in the 200 hp range. Other than that, I'd "like" to keep most of the truck stock for now. I've read about a million other threads for switching out the rearend. I understand why people do this, but it's not for me at this point.

This is a 10 bolt rear, with 8 lug wheels. Anybody have tips or sources for upgrading the original rear end? Does it need anything other than bearing/seals/fluid to be up to the challenge for a while?

Any idea if the old ones are single or posi drive? Probable gear ratio?

Thanks!
pinecrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:50 AM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Anybody use a stock differential?

Most of us swap out the rear ends because the 1/2 ton rear end has an enclosed driveline and doesn't match up to any other transmission without an extreme amount of special machine work.

The rear end you have under the truck will probably work fine with the V8 but the gear ratio is most likely pretty low and highway speed and gas mileage might suffer. It can't be any worse than what I get with the 350 and 4.11 gears in my 71 GMC though.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:52 AM   #3
pinecrest

I see now! Thanks for the info. Can you tell I just got this thing? So much to learn about it. I will now search for a replacement.
pinecrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:32 AM   #4
Chevy51

Pinecrest,my experience with the stock rearend,may help you,and there are a lot of other enthusiast on here,can give you some good advice. The previous owner of my 51 3/4ton,changed the pig on the rearend,which took down from 513gear ratio to 456gear ratio. Which is still way to low of a ratio, if you want to run down the road,without having your engine screaming. I changed the rearend to an S10 4WD,and got it down to 373gear ratio,and an overdrive transmission. Some guys are going with a 700R. My overdrive tranny is a 200R, which was already in truck,when I purchased the truck.Hope this will help you. Keep on Trucking!
Chevy51 is offline   Reply With Quote