The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-06-2011, 06:50 PM   #1
troy54gmc

Rear Axle Help????

Ok guys i need some advise from someone who has been thru this. Im almost done building the rear frame on my 54 and i had originally planned on putting a ford 9" rearend in it. I put a 75 nova subframe on the front and its got disc setup with 5 on 4-3/4 bolt pattern. The ford 9" has nothing but the axles and they are not the same bolt pattern, much larger. So my question is should i stick with the 9" and if i do what is the easiest way to get the bolt pattern to match the front? if not what is a better choice axle to go with??? I was at the junk yard today and can pick one up with everything on it including brakes for under $100. depending on which one i go with.
Ive read the s-10 4x4 rearend is popular??? Im gonna put a 383 stroker motor with a 700r4 tranny hopefully around 400hp. Any insight would be greatly appreciated......Thanks.
Attached Images

troy54gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:32 PM   #2
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Re: Rear Axle Help????

Keep the 9 if you going with any kind of power and you plan punch it. You do not want a weak link. I have friends that have power with weak rearends and they can't have too much fun without worrying.lol Man you are building it anyway, so build it to stand up to what you are doing.

I have a questions. What is your plan for wheels? If you are going aftermarket wheels why would you care about the bolt pattern you will not be doing any rotating.
You could always have the axles and the rotors redrilled (if you are running rear disc) to a chevy bolt pattern. I have a 9 in my 55 Chevy 210 and the axles and rotors have been redrilled to match my chevy bolt pattern, that was because I use to have chevy rallys. If I would have had aftermarket wheels in the first place I just would have order the rear wheels in a ford bolt pattern because I can't rotate them I have 18x10's in the back.

Last edited by Kabwe; 01-06-2011 at 09:08 PM.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:14 PM   #3
troy54gmc

Hey Kabwe, thanks for the info. Yes i plan on running disc in the rear, where did u go to get the axles redrilled? and ya i plan on running 20's in the front and 22's in the rear so i guess i could go with 2 different bolt patterns since im not gonna be able to rotate anyways.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:07 PM   #4
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

No problem man that's why we are here to share info right?lol A good machine shop should be able to hook you up. Its a simple task with the equipment they have. In case you decide to do drums they can redrill those also.lol

Last edited by Kabwe; 01-06-2011 at 09:11 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:30 PM   #5
EVBuilder

Most machine shops wont re-drill axles anymore because of the liability of it. The best way to go is to buy some new axles from Moser Engineering. They are as strong as you will need with that motor and they are custom made to your specs. including the bolt pattern and wheel stud diameters as well as spline count. Doing this you can get the housing cut and welded to the exact length you need. It is best to start with the wheels you plan to use so you can insure the back spacing works right and clears everything. Also if you have the center section built with the carrier you want to run the spline will be correct even if its not factory.
EVBuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:19 PM   #6
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVBuilder View Post
Most machine shops wont re-drill axles anymore because of the liability of it. The best way to go is to buy some new axles from Moser Engineering. They are as strong as you will need with that motor and they are custom made to your specs. including the bolt pattern and wheel stud diameters as well as spline count. Doing this you can get the housing cut and welded to the exact length you need. It is best to start with the wheels you plan to use so you can insure the back spacing works right and clears everything. Also if you have the center section built with the carrier you want to run the spline will be correct even if its not factory.
I never heard of a machine shop (that does axle work) that would not redrill axles to change a bolt pattern. Redrilling axles is very common with hotrodders and a good shop will plug the holes no longer needed and redrill the new ones. Moser redrills axles they charge 60 bucks a pair and to plug and redrill is 80. Ask me how I know because mine were done there.
Look at this link it clearly states that moser charges 60 bucks to redrill axles plug and redrill is 80
http://www.moserengineering.com/moser/shop-services/

I have done the Moser Engineering axles and housing ends on my truck and its too expensive for what he is talking about. I narrowed my rearend thats why I bought new axles. I would never buy new axles to change a bolt pattern I would buy wheels to match the bolt pattern or redrill the axles.

Last edited by Kabwe; 01-07-2011 at 11:56 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:12 PM   #7
BC Toy chest

Hey nice work Troy, keep the pictures coming.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=432758
BC Toy chest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:31 AM   #8
troy54gmc

Hey guys thanks for the input. i think ill go with the fill and redrill route and stick with the 9". i dont need to shorten the axle any, its only 3 inchs wider than the stock one. i figure i can work the diference out with backspacing on wheels.

Evbuilder-- i really wish i could buy the wheels first to get everything line up correctly but i want to go with 20" on front and 22" on the rear and i just dont have that kind of money right now. so for now im just going off of measurements.

BC TOY CHEST--- thanks for the comments. im working as fast as i can, ive been saving for upgrades on my welder. got new mixed gas bottle today, and wow what a difference. being someone that self learned on gasless flux core wire. The new welds look amazing, no spatter better penetration, no smoke, its amazing. I plan on finishing all the welds on the rear frame this weekend. Ill put some pictures up when i get done.

Hey Kabwe hows the truck coming i havent seen any posts of progress in awhile????
Old 01-08-2011, 04:58 PM   #9
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Hey man thanks for asking the build is coming along, but slowly.lol

Last edited by Kabwe; 01-09-2011 at 01:02 AM.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:37 PM   #10
OrrieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVBuilder View Post
Most machine shops wont re-drill axles anymore because of the liability of it.
Because a wheel stud might be off? Guess they better stop doing engine machine work, a rod might go thru a block or valve thru a valve cover and hurt someone. Better not do flywheel work either. Drive lines are out of the question too. Or they could get the customer to sign a waiver that they are modifying a stock manufactured part. A lot of our trucks are running parts that are clearly labeled "for off road only" with liability waiver clauses in the fine print on the literature. Somewhere in Kabwe's dealings with Moser there was probably some similar language.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote