The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-08-2011, 10:31 PM   #1
Dalaigh
Canadian Trucker

Anyone runnin ladder racks?

Is anyone running or ever run ladder racks? I'd prefer the ones with out the toppers, something like this

I Like to see some pics of Long box trucks with this style rack

2020 Silverado Trail Boss - 6.2/10spd
Dalaigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:02 PM   #2
Squareforceone

Re: Anyone runnin ladder racks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalaigh View Post
Is anyone running or ever run ladder racks? I'd prefer the ones with out the toppers, something like this

I Like to see some pics of Long box trucks with this style rack
Im not but i have seen it before and with a pair of nice tires they just give a square that aggressive look i hope some one has pics
Squareforceone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:00 PM   #3
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

I used to have something similar to this. This is used for more than just ladders tho... this is capable of carrying material too. the ladder ones usually are just two pieces that bolt into the stake holes as there isnt really much weight requirement to them. you may wanna ask GM72K10 about racks he is a contractor and he uses alot of our trucks regularly
the other thing im going to suggest is looking at the Weather Guard web site they are pretty good

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:17 PM   #4
special-K
Special Order

I never went for bolt together racks. I always make my own because I need something strong and solid. Some of those bolt together racks have a decent design that would look good in a welded rack. I like to give some style to mine without taking from the function.

This is the first set I made on a '78 I had. I refined the design more with each set I made. This is the design of my old boss: round pipe (definitely the strongest) fish-mouthed together,8" high top rails,expanded steel screen behind cab,spot lamp tabs at front of bed,top rail angled down over cab,the base is continuous 2" angle front and sides mounted on top of bed...All function with a touch of style

On this set I used square tube,angled the uprights in,kept closer to the cab roof,top rails are more like 4",set the rear bar forward a bit,angled the back of the top rails,light tabs,expanded steel screen,continuous 2" angle base...

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 01-09-2011 at 01:50 PM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:32 PM   #5
abebummy26

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I never went for bolt together racks. I always make my own because I need something strong and solid. Some of those bolt together racks have a decent design that would look good in a welded rack. I like to give some style to mine without taking from the function. I'll have to dig u some pics of a set on my '84
First truck I thought of was yours

1987 GMC S15 (soon to be a chevy clone)
2.5l, 4 speed, no ps, no pb, no ac

Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.

Spoken by Cletus the hillbilly
I like stickers... a whole bunch.
abebummy26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:09 PM   #6
abebummy26

My brother also had one on his 78 gmc 3/4 it looked pretty decent. It was homemade. No pics of that truck though.

1987 GMC S15 (soon to be a chevy clone)
2.5l, 4 speed, no ps, no pb, no ac

Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.

Spoken by Cletus the hillbilly
I like stickers... a whole bunch.

Last edited by abebummy26; 01-09-2011 at 02:09 PM.
abebummy26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:36 PM   #7
Dalaigh
Canadian Trucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I never went for bolt together racks. I always make my own because I need something strong and solid. Some of those bolt together racks have a decent design that would look good in a welded rack. I like to give some style to mine without taking from the function.

This is the first set I made on a '78 I had. I refined the design more with each set I made. This is the design of my old boss: round pipe (definitely the strongest) fish-mouthed together,8" high top rails,expanded steel screen behind cab,spot lamp tabs at front of bed,top rail angled down over cab,the base is continuous 2" angle front and sides mounted on top of bed...All function with a touch of style

On this set I used square tube,angled the uprights in,kept closer to the cab roof,top rails are more like 4",set the rear bar forward a bit,angled the back of the top rails,light tabs,expanded steel screen,continuous 2" angle base...

Yeah, I want a welded together one, I just used that pic as an example.

What size lift and Tires did you have on your gold truck? Right know I've got a 6" lift with 35's and I'm trying to figure out if I should go to a 2.5" or 4" and 33's or keep the 6" and get different tires, I don't need it to be this big, I DD the truck and need it to be more practical.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:55 PM   #8
special-K
Special Order

That had a Superlift 4" front springs and the rear was about 2" spring work + 2" block.The wheels were 9.75-16.5 wheels with 12.50/35 BFG ATs.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:31 PM   #9
Dalaigh
Canadian Trucker

Oh, they are 35's, did they rub at all?

Old 01-10-2011, 12:53 AM   #10
AuggieStyle

Not mine but i was thinking of buying it for the shop $4400 looks like a pretty good deal.
AuggieStyle is offline   Reply With Quote