The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-01-2011, 05:35 PM   #1
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Always something with an old vehicle

A friend wanted to borrow my little welder today so I tossed it in the Scion and drove up to his house. Weather around here has been wet, snowy, and freeezing, because I drive my Scion all day everyday its more than filthy. I get up to my buddys place and his cars are all shiny clean. They have been off for a couple weeks so he was able to fit in a good cleaning between crappy weather.

I got home and we still have a light coating of snow here, you can just see the tips of the grass and the driveway has has about half that. My faucets are all winterized and the hose reels have been stored away. Except for the fact its freezing cold out, it is a beautiful day here in the NW.

I decided to start the new year with clean cars. Take off the faucet covers, drag out the hose reel and fill up my wash bucket with warm water so I dont freeze my hands off.

Got the Trail Blazer all clean, was fun cause the water kept freezing up on the car. Then I got the Scion all pretty.

I was looking at my K20, still covered in bout a half inch of snow ... do I want to bother? Yep, so I fired it up and let it idle for the hour it took me to get it all clean. I was really getting into it. I scrubbed the tires with a brush, cleaned off all the black stuff that gets on it from sitting so long in the back yard with tree junk falling all over it. I was freezing but really enjoying giving it a new year clean up. Now that it was all pretty I decided to go for a drive.

I put the other cars away, covered the faucet back up, stored the hose back in the garage and put down a layer of rock salt on the driveway. It was a little slippery lol.

I hopped in my truck pulled the headlight switch on and for some reason I decided to do a quick walk around. Headlights but no tail lights. No marker lights either. Turn on the blinker the lights all did their thing correctly except the front side marker lights were blinking too. No brake lights either.

Its cold out, do I feel like trouble shooting a problem the truck has never had before or should I go inside and sit on the couch in front of the fireplace and check out the board? Ill check out the board

Hope everyone is having a Happy New Years Day!

Last edited by CG; 01-01-2011 at 06:21 PM.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 06:20 PM   #2
Boog
laying low

Re: Always something with an old vehicle

Sunshine here too and where am I? Inside. Right in front of the tv watching Barrett Jackson marathon and scanning these posts. Happy New Year everybody!
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 11:20 PM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I didn't do anything with the trucks but I did go out and start cleaning the shop today. Lord knows it needs it..

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:26 AM   #4
oldiron
Designated Grumpy Old Man

Check and see if you have dash lights working. If not check the fuse panel for a blown fuse.
If you have dash lights then check and see if you have burnt out tail light bulbs. If they are good then check and see if you have a good ground.
I will think up some other ideas later.
oldiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:57 AM   #5
Maxxd07

Four below here today so not much doin but I did take the 70 for a drive to town and back, about 30 mile round trip.
Couple 70s
One 68
Maxxd07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:30 PM   #6
bosco200

I had this same problem in my 72 I replaced all the light sockets because they were rusty and didn't have a ground at all....fixed now.
bosco200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:26 PM   #7
swamp rat

When it warms up take a look at the taillight wire plug on the rear crossmember to be sure its still together, then also look at the fuse block.

Whats with this deep freeze were in anyway!

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:01 PM   #8
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I might pull it into the garage later and fire up the heat. Its funny how the one thing on this truck that has always been perfect with zero problems decided to give me grief just when I was ready to take her for a nice spin. I guess sitting outside for four months without driving her in our wet NW weather doesnt help. I think Ill pick up a tarp and move it into the barn where at least its out of the wet part of the weather.

Thanks for all the tips guys. Ill be checking em all out.

Mark

Last edited by CG; 01-02-2011 at 02:02 PM.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:14 PM   #9
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

Four months and winter is just starting...I think I'd be sick if my truck sat that long...Ignore the wife for that long and she if she's not a little finiky.....lol...
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:15 PM   #10
CG
BlahBlahBlah

So far ... No blown fuses that I see. Dash lights all work. All my sockets look like new. I think the original owner had em replaced when he had the truck "restored". Bulbs looked good, but I stuck new ones in just in case my blurry vision is fooling with me. There is a camper plug wired into the harness that sits on the wheel well. Ill check all those and grounds next ... Gail just fixed me a nice hot lunch, think Ill attend to that first =)
Old 01-03-2011, 03:11 AM   #11
oldiron
Designated Grumpy Old Man

You have a nice dry shop and you put the truck in bird poop central!!!
I don't know you any more.

Last edited by oldiron; 01-03-2011 at 03:13 AM.
oldiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:21 PM   #12
CG
BlahBlahBlah

OK I didn't put the truck in the barn. I rolled it into my shop to figure out this problem. Rechecked the fuses using a drop light so I could see better...there was a blown fuse. Got my tail lights working, but still no brake lights. And now my dash lights wouldn't work.

Wiggled my light switch around and got my dash lights sorta working. I had a couple of extra new switches so I replaced that. Now my dash lights work and so does my inside cab light when I twist the knob, it hadn't worked before.

Just for grins I checked my back up lights, one was burnt out. Changed that. Now everything was working again except my brake lights.

Did the hang upside down thing under my dash and checked the brake switch. It was stuck. I took that out and carefully lubed the actuator shaft. Put it all back together and everything works again.

Just weird how all of this happened with my truck just sitting there without being driven for a few months. I'm very careful to keep everything functioning properly in this old rig. I don't want to get hassled by the "man" over anything that he can pull me over for just by watching me drive down the road.

I see so many old trucks driving around with half the lights out and mismatched half bald tires, I don't want to be that kind of driver. It isn't the prettiest truck around but right now everything is functioning pretty darn well.

Thanks for everyone's tips on what to look for.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:58 PM   #13
swamp rat

Cool beans man!

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 01-09-2011, 02:02 AM   #14
Kokomoooo
Account Suspended

Washing your truck............................in the snow? Not me brother!! I hate the cold!!!!! There, warm your hands on that.
Kokomoooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:00 AM   #15
Jacfourteen
Big Red - Now its a SWB!

Washing your truck in the snow? , although you could call me crazy too, today I was playing paintball and I was laying in the snow and mud to hide from other people trying to shoot me
68 3/4 ton (Project)-350 Small Block, .030 over, 10:1 comp, 3998993 heads, C3BX edelbrock intake, comp cams XE268, Holley 670 SA, long tube headers, dual flow 40's, E-fan, Alum rad, currently under the knife getting shortened and bagged build thread
41 3/4 ton (wife's)-flatbed, fully restored to original
01 Tahoe LT 4WD (my daily driver)-Magnaflow Muffler, Rollin on 22's
02 Ford Mustang Convertable (Wife's Car)-Flowmaster 50, Clear corners, Intake, sittin on 18's
Jacfourteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:00 PM   #16
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Since my truck is running perfectly and all my lights are working perfectly, I decided to take a run to the dump. I had a bunch of lumber left over from summer projects. An old fence we tore out, a large porch cover/pergola thingy, and even had some leftover junk from when I was building my shop.

Filled my truck higher than the besides by a foot and a half. Got my load all secured and tied down legal like. They are very tough on unsecured loads here in Washington state. Been a few very bad/sad accidents with people losing stuff off of their trucks in recent years.

Weather is crappy today with a rain/snow combo. I pulled into 7-11 to grab something to drink. I was checking out the reflection of my truck with all my beautiful lights functioning so nicely lol. Before I got her shut down a city police officer pulled in beside me.

I had a smug look on my face I'm sure. In my head I was saying, Yeah everything you're looking at officer is legal.

We both got out of our rigs at the same time ... Hey nice old truck you got there ... Thanks, its kind of my baby. He just laughed and nodded his head. Oh hey, when I pulled in behind you I noticed your license plate light isn't working. On the outside I was, Hey thanks Ill get that taken care of right away, on the inside I was, AAARRRRGGGGHHHH!

I wouldn't worry about it too much, most of us wouldn't pull someone over for that unless we felt there were other things going on. Have a good day.

*Sigh*
Old 01-09-2011, 04:09 PM   #17
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
On the outside I was, Hey thanks Ill get that taken care of right away, on the inside I was, AAARRRRGGGGHHHH!

*Sigh*
Like your thread title says...

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:39 PM   #18
swamp rat

LOL!! Well its way better than a non secure load ticket!

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 01-09-2011, 10:10 PM   #19
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Pulled the license plate light out and the thing was super corroded inside so I ran down to the parts store to see if they had any. They had the same kind I have now and it was only a few bucks.

Got it all put in and it works great....COME GET ME NOW COPPERS!

Now that I'm on a roll I'm thinking about installing my NOS cab lights. This should be interesting lol.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:18 AM   #20
Kokomoooo
Account Suspended

Unhappy Re: Always something with an old vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacfourteen View Post
Washing your truck in the snow? , although you could call me crazy too, today I was playing paintball and I was laying in the snow and mud to hide from other people trying to shoot me
Now see, that sounds perfectly sane to me!!!

Man, its been awhile.........................................
Old 01-10-2011, 12:41 AM   #21
gonzo6869
Cops, ha, catch me if you can!

I washed my truck today, although it was nice and sunny with Temps in the 60's, I don't know if I could have done it with snow, but I will never have to worry about that here
Edelbrock intake and Carb
Hooker Comp Headers
275/60R15 on Rallies

gonzo6869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:52 AM   #22
Kokomoooo
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo6869 View Post
I washed my truck today, although it was nice and sunny with Temps in the 60's, I don't know if I could have done it with snow, but I will never have to worry about that here
Move north, you will love snow!!!!! Actually snow wouldn't be so bad if it was like maybe 80 degrees?!
Old 01-10-2011, 03:00 PM   #23
keenan

it could be that since it was so cold the wires contracted and an open was made.
keenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:30 PM   #24
RCbowtie69

just have to say that feel the same way, i like to all my lights to work. so a month ago i went and brought new switch for my back up lights, put in new switch & found a short in the driver side housing,so i rebuild both sides by buying new sockets & spent about $30.00 & now i have back up lights

Last edited by RCbowtie69; 01-10-2011 at 07:33 PM.
RCbowtie69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:43 AM   #25
keenan

and if your having troublefinding that specific open in the wire but u cannot find a cut or anything have someone press the brake pedal and trake a small compass(doesnt have to be an exspensive one a cheapo will do) and follow the wire back thru the cab and under the frame rail. if u get to an open within the wire the needle will move around(electromagnetic force). u will have voltage up to the open no current
keenan is offline   Reply With Quote