The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-12-2011, 11:46 PM   #1
AirSpeed

thrust play on steering shaft

I installed a new steering wheel on my 72 GMC today and when I was done I noticed about 1/4" of play in the steering shaft. I actually notice it a while back but it wasn't an issue with the stock steering wheel. I can pull the wheel out about .25". The chrome piece that covers the adapter rubs against the steering column slightly when I turn the wheel. I can easily space the cover so it wont rub but I would like to get rid of the play instead. Is there a thrust adjustment in the steering shaft that goes through the column?
I also replaced the front brake calipers today and noticed a little play in the lower ball joint, my truck is a four wheel drive. The play is very slight, I can just wiggle it. I attempted to tighten the nut but couldnt get a wrench on it. I wanted to see if tightening it would get rid of the play. What is involved in tightening it or if necessary, replacing it? Do I have to remove the axle to get a wrench on the nut of the lower ball joint?
Thanks!
AirSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:40 PM   #2
Wrenchbender Ret

Re: thrust play on steering shaft

I take it it's not a tilt. The bearing on the bottom of the column is supposed to float on the shaft with the spring pressure to take up play in the upper brg. After all this time & the invironment it is in it gets froze to the shaft. You will probably need to o-haul the column to fix it.
Wrenchbender Ret is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:34 PM   #3
AirSpeed

Thanks, I looked at an exploded view ofthee column and was wondering if that spring at the bottom end did that. I made a spacer and put it between the adapter and the chrome trim for now, a rebuild will have to wait till spring. Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-13-2011, 08:10 PM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
To adjust the mast jacket lower bearing loosen the clamp on the steering shaft next to the spring and slide the clamp up until you have 3/4" to 7/8" between the large washer and the bottom of the lower bearing in the column tube. Have someone hold down on the steering wheel while you do this.

Post up if this cures it or not so others will know if they have the same problem.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 01-13-2011 at 08:15 PM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:24 PM   #5
JimKshortstep4x4

Lock Doc,

I have not seen any clamps on the shaft extension that could be adjusted on his year truck. The clamp bolt fits through the clamp and the groove that is cut into the shaft. The clamp bolt keys the clamp, shaft extension and the column shaft on the 72 truck that he has.

Jim
1971 Shortbox step side 4x4, 350 sbc, 3:07 rear end
1965 Impala SS 400 sbc, Muncie rock crusher
1966 Impala SS 396 bbc, TH 400
1969 El Camino, 350 sbc, TH 350
1971 Snowplow built on a Blazer frame
1972 GMC Short bed, stepside, TH 400, 427 BBC
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:02 PM   #6
AirSpeed

I will check it out tomorrow, the exploded drawing I saw doesnt seem to have any adjustment, I will have to get in and take a look at the column closer and see whats there. Thanks again!
Old 01-13-2011, 09:25 PM   #7
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKshortstep4x4 View Post
Lock Doc,

I have not seen any clamps on the shaft extension that could be adjusted on his year truck. The clamp bolt fits through the clamp and the groove that is cut into the shaft. The clamp bolt keys the clamp, shaft extension and the column shaft on the 72 truck that he has.

Jim

Jim: The groove in the shaft is wide enough to allow for 3/8-1/2" of movement, which should be enough to make the adjustment. That is the way I did My '71 4x4. Maybe they changed something in '72. I've never had one of those.

LockDoc

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 01-13-2011 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:28 PM   #8
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirSpeed View Post
I will check it out tomorrow, the exploded drawing I saw doesnt seem to have any adjustment, I will have to get in and take a look at the column closer and see whats there. Thanks again!

We're talking about under the hood...

LockDoc

-
Old 01-13-2011, 09:28 PM   #9
AirSpeed

Any ideas on my other issue, the lower ball joints? Like I said above, the lower ball joint on the passenger side has a little play in it, it's very slight but I would like to get rid of it if possible. I tried to get a wrench on it but there is no way I can see to get at it. Do I need to pull the axle in order to change it or try to tighten it up? if so, whats involved in pulling the axle? Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Old 01-13-2011, 09:31 PM   #10
AirSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
We're talking about under the hood...

LockDoc
Yea, I got that, I have to climb up and then in to look at it, I have a 4" lift thats why I said "get in" Thanks!

Last edited by AirSpeed; 01-13-2011 at 09:32 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:38 PM   #11
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirSpeed View Post
Yea, I got that, I have to climb up and then in to look at it, I have a 4" lift thats why I said "get in" Thanks!
.. I SEE...

I don't know if you are familiar with the FAQ Forum or not. Scroll down to the bottom of this page and you will see the "Forum Jump" box. Click on the little down arrow on the right side of the box and scroll down to "FAQ Truck Tech". On that page go down to "Thread / Thread Starter: FAQ Index Thread". When you get into that scroll down to the "Brakes and Suspension Related FAQ's". In that section you will see some threads on replacing ball joints.

I could have just posted a direct link but there is a lot of good info in the FAQ section and now the new people that read this thread will know how to get to it.

Thanks to Krue for indexing the FAQ's

LockDoc

-
Old 01-13-2011, 09:46 PM   #12
Willys47

Play in a ball joint means time for a new one cause it is worn out. Things like this can bust apart. This is not good when rolling.It happen to me in my work truck (2 wheel drive) and seen a friend loose a right front on his 4x4 only the brake line was keeping the wheel from rolling a way both were a low speed thank God!!!!
Old 01-13-2011, 09:49 PM   #13
AirSpeed

I could have just posted a direct link but there is a lot of good info in the FAQ section and now the new people that read this thread will know how to get to it.

Thanks to Krue for indexing the FAQ's

Thanks, I never noticed that before, I will definately check it out! Thanks again!
Old 01-13-2011, 09:53 PM   #14
AirSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willys47 View Post
Play in a ball joint means time for a new one cause it is worn out. Things like this can bust apart. This is not good when rolling.It happen to me in my work truck (2 wheel drive) and seen a friend loose a right front on his 4x4 only the brake line was keeping the wheel from rolling a way both were a low speed thank God!!!!
Yes, that would truly suck! I had a rear tire come loose on my old 70 Rachturdo, it rolled under the rear fender and lifted the whole back of the truck up, I was doing 60 when it happened, slid to the side of the road, nearly soiled my pants, and watched as the tire rolled by and fell over right in front of me, it destroyed the rear quarter panel.