The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-27-2003, 11:33 PM   #1
navybear70
hometown heroes!

Pontiac fit?

Will a Pontiac bb work in our trucks without welding? I believe it to be a 455 w/four speed auto. Could it be a 400? Its in a 1973 Bonneville convertible at the salvage yard on post here. The set price for any motor is $200 and trannys are $125. Someone put a lot of MSD stuff on the motor like a distributor and wires, etc.; but I don't know what else. I'm thinking about beefing it up little by little; that way I can still still drive the truck, and take the motor with me if I sell the truck here on the island.

Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. -Robert E. Lee

"Never give up ground you've already taken." -Unknown

Last edited by navybear70; 06-27-2003 at 11:36 PM.
navybear70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 12:02 AM   #2
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

i've got a Pontiac 400 that i was thinking of putting in my truck. although i havent actually tried to do it, i dont see where there would be much problem. it would just take a little fabrication here and there.

one thing i've done in the past, was to interchange parts using a GM catalog.

for example, with the motor mounts, you might find the PN for the motor mounts that are specifically for your truck, and run the number to find out what car they fit. if the mounts are the same as a 73-75 Camaro, you know that a Camaro is the same as a Firebird, so you would need frame mounts from a 73-75 Firebird.

for a direct bolt in, i would go with a Olds motor, and use factory 5.7 Diesel mounts.

(*NOTE* the Camaro/Firebird refrence was just an example, i do not know if they will work or not)
1FaastC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 12:09 AM   #3
navybear70
hometown heroes!

Truck came factory with an Olds diesel 350. But I think the mounts were changed to accomodate the current Chevy 350 gas. But if this Pontiac is any good, its the motor I'll get. Who knows, maybe I can talk my wife into a '73 T/A.

Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. -Robert E. Lee

Old 06-28-2003, 12:19 AM   #4
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

early second gen Firebirds kick ass. my buddy has a 74 Formula 400 with a 70 Ram Air nose on it. very sweet car.
1FaastC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 01:53 AM   #5
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

I used to know someone with a mid 70s pickup with a Pontiac engine. He said he used the motor mounts from the donor car, and everything bolted right up. I actually saw the engine in the truck, and drove it.

Slonaker
Old 06-28-2003, 01:07 PM   #6
the baron

WHAT ?
200 bucks for a BB ?
125 bucks for a tranny ?
Guys , I'm definitly living in the wrong country

I can get some SB V8's here , the cheapest are at 600 bucks...
Should take a plane , visit you , take a plane back with a BB Olds 455 in my luggage

The Baron
the baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 02:20 PM   #7
navybear70
hometown heroes!

That's a good one.
Of course, that would be a Rocket 455...right? Make some friends in the US Merchant Marines and wait til they come to Europe. They will probably sail some parts your way for nominal fees. Course, you gotta go to a seaport to get em.

Old 06-28-2003, 02:30 PM   #8
44th Miss Inf

Navy,
Been trying to catch up with a friend that had a 400 Pontiac in a 79 GMC a few years ago, but have had no luck.

Also, when I was working in Australia, Chevy engines are OUTRAGIOUS there. One of my co workers had looked into having some shipped over, as I can find 350s from anywhere $100-350 around here, complete and running. It was still cheaper for me to get them for him (I made NO money off of it) ship them to the West Coast from Mississippi, and have them put on a ship to Australia, than he could buy them 'in country'

Virgil

Last edited by 44th Miss Inf; 06-28-2003 at 02:38 PM.
44th Miss Inf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 02:38 PM   #9
navybear70
hometown heroes!

SEE?!?! I told ya Baron!:p
Thanks Virgil, I agree. Even in Hawaii here, prices are steep. The $200 motor is in a salvage yard on the Army post, thats why its so cheap. WHere were you in Australia? I've been to Townsville and Darwin.

Old 06-28-2003, 02:51 PM   #10
44th Miss Inf

I worked in the oilfield doen there, so I caught out of Darwin (once to catch the rig) Broome, Karratha, Adelaide, and of course spent some time in Melbourne, Syndney and Perth, mostly passing thru except Perth. Our office was there, so I sent a good bit of time there.
Old 06-28-2003, 04:21 PM   #11
the baron

Navybear,
Of course it would be a Rocket...

I know a scrap yard at the belgian coast , where the old man who started this business at the beginning of the fifties parted a lot of cars.

I bought by a local undertaker a 1966 Buick Skylark 300ci in 1998 , it used to be a 2 doors hardtop , which had been transformed as a hearse by a guy who did only this .
I've put the lantarns and that cross in the middle of the roof in the garbage , & I was proudly gone with my very first american car .
I went to that scrap yard guy because my wiper motor was toasted.

the guy : " this is not an original station-wagon , he ?"
me : " no , it was a 2 doors "
the guy : "follow me , I'll show you something..."
walking & crawling between a lot of wrecks in a big shed , he showed me that :
a 1967 2 doors full body , stripped but complete with all the windows , laying on a 1971 Chrysler New-Yorker Sedan...
the guy : " see , that car have had a front crash in 1971 , this shed was new , it is the second car I've put in it...

this car was put from 1971 in that shed , no rust , no dents , no nothing

me : "ok , how much"
the guy : "forget it , it's not a problem of money here but I should move at least 25 other wrecks to may move this one , I have no time , blablabla..."

I never got that body.

I saw in that same shed a lot of american engines , stored by brand ( F@rt , Chevy , MOPAR , etc...)
in another shed , at least 50 wrecks of american cars , mainly Mustangs 1970/1971 & Mustangs II , as there were a lot of them sold in Belgium , mostly with the 2.3 , 4 cylinders engine.

I couldn't believe my eyes...

The guy showed me also a panel on a wall in his desk , with old faded pic's of special cars , wrecked by crash , that he parted :
- a 1969 Ferrari Daytona , brand new , two days old , 300 km's on the odo , fallen on her roof...
- a few muscle cars from the sixties...
- a Lamborghini Urraco
- others I don't remember

I should go back there & ask if he has no engine out of a Olds 4-4-2 , who knows ?

I should within years go back on board one of our frigates , as propulsion Officer , I know one of them go once a year to the USA , maybe I will have the chance to bring back home that fat Olds BB I dream of...

Seriously , my next car or truck will be a GM product , & I think to go in your country take some vacation & buy the one I want , put it myself on the ship , & be there at Antwerp when the ship arrives...
My dream ?
Well , a Chevy 1973-1979 crew cab dually , 454ci , would be a good choice , wouldn'it ?
Or my ultimate GM dream , a 1955 Chevy 2 doors Nomad , stock...

Cheers & a good sunday to you all
The Baron
the baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 04:54 PM   #12
44th Miss Inf

Baron

You stated:
My dream ?
Well , a Chevy 1973-1979 crew cab dually , 454ci , would be a good choice , wouldn'it ?

When I was in Germany last Oct, petro was $1 a liter ($3.80 a gal)
Are you SURE you want something that will only get about 8-10 miles a gallon?
I did see an 85 Chevy 4x4 Blazer w/350 in Eilenburg, Germany while I was there. Stopped and struck up a long conversation with the owners. They had brought it from a GI station in Germany and would only drive it once a month due to fuel mileage, but they had something no one else had!!!

Well, If that's what you want, GO FOR IT!!!!
Virgil