The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-14-2011, 10:26 PM   #1
jbgroby

Fuel Line question

I'm trying to finish up a few odds and ends. One of which is running a fuel line from the block to the tank. The original line comes down from the fuel pump via a soft rubber hose then connects to hard tubing that runs inside the frame on the passinger side. It then comes out about the rear of the cab area and connects via soft hose to the stock fuel filter.

My problem is I cannot put a hard tubing back down the frame without seeming to kink the new tubing. (should have placed the line prior to engine mount, my screwup)

My querstion: IS there a alternate softer tubing or braded line I can use for the fuel line inside of the frame?

Thanks
jbgroby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:39 PM   #2
Heater63

Re: Fuel Line question

Sure, if you are using a mechanical engine driven pump, the line is suction/siphon- no pressure in it. You can run a good quality reinforced fuel hose from the tank to the pump.
If you are running FI, with a tank mounted pump, then I would stick to hard tubing as the line is pressurized. Get a $25 roll of 3/8 aluminum fuel line through OReillys or Summit. The stuff is soft enough to bend by hand and work into the frame, then re-bend or straighten as you need to, to work it into position. Use AN fittings for the best possible fittings...but they are pricey and you will need a 37 degree flare tool; not a 45 degree like brake lines.

good luck
Old 01-14-2011, 10:55 PM   #3
jbgroby

Thanks, I'm using the stock mechanical fuel line, BUt I will still try to put the 3/8 line you speak of. I'd like to leave as much protection as possible becasue she runs a bit close to the exhaust manifolds.

Thanks
jbgroby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:02 PM   #4
Heater63

You can use smaller than 3/8, I just like a little over engineering and working the larger dia stuff.
Get a piece of that thermal sleeving Summit sells to shield lines that are too close to exhaust. ThermoTec IIRC looks like a foil tube, u can slide it on, or to go on an existing line, just cut it lengthwise and slip it over the line. Mr Gasket makes a braided version.
Posted via Mobile Device