The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-11-2011, 02:02 AM   #1
Laz

Frame

I've got a 66 stepside I'm wanting to do a bottom-up rebuild on, but my father says he thinks the frame of the truck is bent. He's thinking we should get the frame off of a late 70s/early 80s stepside and use that since it will be a sturdier frame, already have the leafs, etc etc...

I'm pretty new to this whole thing, I've only ever actually done minor engine work, so I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to this.

Anybody know, by chance, if retrofitting a frame like my father's considering under the body if the 66 is an easy swap, or is there lots of customization to the frame that would need to be done? Would looking for a better off frame from 60-66 be a better option? (Small town, unfortunately, so not likely to find anything anyway)

Thanks
Laz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:04 AM   #2
chopped65

Re: Frame

take the truck to a body shop and have them throw it up on the frame rack and check it for straightness. They might repair it for cheap if it's nothing big
Old 01-11-2011, 08:37 AM   #3
DPowers
One foot in front of the other

'73 and up frames are different- they kick up behind the cab. Not an easy switch over.
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:32 AM   #4
LinkbeltOE

I have a 66 c-20 step side frame for sale for $500.00 in Florida if you are interested
LinkbeltOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:04 AM   #5
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Father knows best.... but maybe not in this case.

Stick with a stock frame for your specific truck, you will be money and time ahead in the long run.

There is no logical reason to do a frame swap: nothing wrong with the design of these frames, nor is there anything wrong with the design of the rear suspension (coil springs).

Nascar has based their Cup cars on these "truck arm" type rear suspensions.

If you do swap frames then you have to reinvent the wheel in regards to cab mounts, body mounts, wheel base, etc. A lot of work!
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:44 PM   #6
Laz

Quote:
Stick with a stock frame for your specific truck, you will be money and time ahead in the long run.

There is no logical reason to do a frame swap: nothing wrong with the design of these frames, nor is there anything wrong with the design of the rear suspension (coil springs).

Nascar has based their Cup cars on these "truck arm" type rear suspensions.

If you do swap frames then you have to reinvent the wheel in regards to cab mounts, body mounts, wheel base, etc. A lot of work!
It's not so much the design of the frame, it's more the problems with my current frame. My dad was saying leaf suspension would be easier for lowering the truck like we're wanting to ... no cutting of springs involved and less chance to screw it up and kill the suspension.

I was kind of assuming swapping to a newer frame would be more trouble than its worth but like I said, I'm pretty new to this whole thing whereas my dad's been working on cars and racing them for a while.

Unfortunately, living in a town as small as I am, it's difficult to find a truck that's in better condition than mine. Money is extremely tight so it's all luck based. I'll probably see if I can get my current frame to work for me. Maybe it's not as bad as he thinks it is.

Quote:
take the truck to a body shop and have them throw it up on the frame rack and check it for straightness. They might repair it for cheap if it's nothing big
I will ask around and see if there's any body shops worth there grit around here. I've heard horror stories of some of the places here.

Thanks for the responses guys!
Old 01-11-2011, 05:17 PM   #7
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laz View Post
It's not so much the design of the frame, it's more the problems with my current frame. My dad was saying leaf suspension would be easier for lowering the truck like we're wanting to ... no cutting of springs involved and less chance to screw it up and kill the suspension.

With rear coils you have 3 options:
  • Cut the old coils (not a good option)
  • buy new lowering springs (coils are much cheaper than leaf springs, a set from CPP will be about $95)
  • eliminate the coils all together and use air bags

The design of your '66 frame is really a good time tested proven commodity. Even if yours is shot replacing it with another '66 frame is your best bet.

Look around here, expecially at the 60-66 projects section. You will see that most of the people here with Chevies stick with either coils or bags, not leaf springs.

Although, it's all good. Keep us in the loop whichever way you go.

Last edited by lakeroadster; 01-11-2011 at 05:26 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:42 PM   #8
Laz

Yeah I've noticed that hardly anybody around here is using a leaf setup. I'd love to go with bags but I don't have a couple grand to throw into a setup like that. I'll probably try to talk my dad into doing springs.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:12 PM   #9
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Quote:
Yeah I've noticed that hardly anybody around here is using a leaf setup. I'd love to go with bags but I don't have a couple grand to throw into a setup like that. I'll probably try to talk my dad into doing springs.
Agreed. Hit him with the $95 bucks for a set of springs... that should help.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:18 PM   #10
blackmopar

whats your Dads reason for thinking the frame is bent? Pics? Didnt see obvous signs of damage from your build thread
blackmopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:45 AM   #11
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

You don't want to use a '73 and up frame under your '66......been there done that. If you do find that your current frame is not worth using, and you can't find a good '63-'66 frame in your area, see if you can find a '67-'72 frame. They are a little different, but they will work without much trouble. What needs to be changed can be taken from your '66 frame.

Also before you get carried away with changing frames, check with your local DMV and find out what they may require to make it a legal swap. You may need a title with your new frame in order to be on the up and up with the DMV.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:53 PM   #12
Heater63

You say money is tight, so really your best option is repair what you already have. Listen
To lakeroadster!
If you are not hauling heavy loads, stick with the trailing arms/coils!
No axle wrap and pinion angle issues under acceleration, smoother ride, etc.
Straightening the frame should be no problem for a good shop.
Just buy new coils for the drop you want-cheap! extreme drops require bag systems and a frame "c" notch- $$$$
I'm running 4" drop coils.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Heater63; 01-12-2011 at 07:59 PM.
Heater63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:22 PM   #13
kieth

Quote:

I was kind of assuming swapping to a newer frame would be more trouble than its worth but like I said, I'm pretty new to this whole thing whereas my dad's been working on cars and racing them for a while.

Unfortunately, living in a town as small as I am, it's difficult to find a truck that's in better condition than mine. Money is extremely tight so it's all luck based. I'll probably see if I can get my current frame to work for me. Maybe it's not as bad as he thinks it is.

I will ask around and see if there's any body shops worth there grit around here. I've heard horror stories of some of the places here.

I have a 65 gmc swb frame on spring, it has been blasted, painted, has the rearend but no front end........Kieth
kieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:47 PM   #14
Laz

What should I take a look at on my truck to check for a bent frame? Google wasn't being much help for me, it was mainly giving me results on newer unibody frames.

I'd like to look at it with my dad so we can figure out if I need to keep an eye out for another 66 frame, but I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to this sort of thing and have no idea what to look for.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:51 PM   #15
blackmopar

ill ask again - please tell me if I missed the answer - what leads your father to beleive your curretn frame IS bent? I looked at your other thread and doesnt look like the truck was in a crash from the drivers side photo.
blackmopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:51 PM   #16
Laz

Oh, sorry, missed that. I don't know, to be completely honest. I'll be talking about it with him this weekend. When I asked him last weekend why he thought a later model frame would be best he just said "Because I think the frame is bent" (with an emphasis on the "think").

So yeah, I'm not too sure, so I wanted to go to him with things to check for.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:32 PM   #17
Heater63

good question mopar.
Make sure tires are all properly inflated and then:
Obviously you have been driving it, how does it drive? Are there signs of a major collision? Does it look funny going down the road from another vehicle? Have your dad follow you and see how it looks. Wet the ground or use a dirt road and see how the rears track the fronts. Get on a good flat concrete driveway, and use a plumb bob to mark spots on the ground using a marker or paint- from the corners of the frame and major points like trailing arms and crossmembers. Then roll the truck away, get out the tape measure, and make X measurements- is it close to square?
These steps all cost $0.
Take it to a body shop with a good frame machine and have them look at it. Not much $, a hell of a lot cheaper that changing to a later model frame!!

Remember that suspension problems could mimick a frame problem, like trailing arm or panhard bar issues.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:39 PM   #18
Laz

Awesome, thanks!

I know my front end is shot, so I wouldn't must trust driving it to test for frame problems. The truck definitely doesn't look goofy while driving, nor does it sit goofy at a stand still.

Will do the X measurement thing and see what comes of that, while looking around for a decent bodyshop.

Thanks guys.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:56 PM   #19
wutnxt

Location: vancouver b.c....is the biggest place most people would know but I am actually out in the valley 45 mins away

I am jumping in with what everyone else is saying......
Check it so see if it is bent/twisted if it is.....replace it with the same. There isn't enough of a gain in swapping to a newer style frame to make it practical or worth while in my opion. With all the bolt in stuff now the 66 frames work awsome and are easy to work on, even a power steering upgrade isn't a big deal. As for the leaf's in the rear....who wants them...Stay to the coils... then when dad is not paying attention get some lowering coils or buy air bags.
wutnxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 02:04 PM   #20
irish1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeroadster View Post
Agreed. Hit him with the $95 bucks for a set of springs... that should help.
Or find yourself a set of Jeep wrangler rear stock springs. A cheap alternative until u have money to lower it the expensive way. I am not cheap but limited funds definitely came into play with alot of decisions on my builds. If you need the upper and lower cup you can buy a kit online for $20. Comes with grade 8 bolts too.

66 LWB Fleet (on hold)
64 LWB Fleet (daily driver)
65 SWB Fleet (almost finished as a driver)
64 SWB Fleet (just started - "Tommys Hot Rods" tribute truck)
Nothing worth doing, is easy.
irish1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 02:13 PM   #21
wutnxt

Location: vancouver b.c....is the biggest place most people would know but I am actually out in the valley 45 mins away

Irish....

Wow thats a awsome tip, I am going to keep that in the play book.
wutnxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 02:21 PM   #22
irish1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutnxt View Post
Irish....

Wow thats a awsome tip, I am going to keep that in the play book.
I picked some up for like $40, so that should help ur budget for other more important bits.

66 LWB Fleet (on hold)
64 LWB Fleet (daily driver)
65 SWB Fleet (almost finished as a driver)
64 SWB Fleet (just started - "Tommys Hot Rods" tribute truck)
Nothing worth doing, is easy.
irish1966 is offline   Reply With Quote