The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-15-2011, 02:19 PM   #1
rcrahn

C10 audio component install behind seats

Been thinking/planning/researching for the audio/video system for our project. Came across this sometime ago on the forum and saved the pic. Want to ask who built this sweet looking setup? Wanna build one for me?

rcrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 04:48 PM   #2
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Re: C10 audio component install behind seats

No help here but I'll give it a bump.

From the looks of the pic the builder used aluminium but I wonder if a person could use the old tank that was removed. Remove the back side (after completely cleaning the tank, of course) and use it to mount speakers etc. I'm not a sound person but if it's not thick or strong enough, it could be used as a template.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 05:17 PM   #3
Kokomoooo
Account Suspended

I would think that would rattle like crazy.
Kokomoooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 05:29 PM   #4
TurboSixPiston

That looks like a cover made to fit over a fiberglass/mdf amprack and enclosure. Metal of any kind is not an ideal material for building an enclosure for a speaker. Covers, racks, supports, that's all fine, but not the actual enclosure. Better left to fiberglass and wood.

This can be made with fiberglass by first cutting and bending wood into the shape you want, attaching a dense and stretchy cloth over it conforming to the shape you want, then applying a coat of resin. Allow the resin to cure, add 4-5 layers of fiberglass mat over the entire surface, smooth it out with your chosen technique, and finish it. Because the enclosure sits behind it, it does not need to be the strongest creation on earth, simply beefy enough to move around and secure into place without distorting.

Benefits of using fiberglass and wood over aluminum or other metal:

Cost.
Basic skills required, easily done by a beginner who can plan and construct wooden frames, then follow the directions given by countless websites and magazines for laying fiberglass.
Minimum equipment required being a jigsaw, nailgun/screws and drill, a worktable, a couple clamps, latex/nitrile gloves for easy cleanup, a filtered mask, plus materials.
Cost.
Cost.

Benefits of using aluminim:

It has that wow factor of shaped metal that's hard to duplicate with any other substrate.
Not nearly as messy.

Last edited by TurboSixPiston; 01-15-2011 at 05:31 PM.
TurboSixPiston is offline   Reply With Quote