The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-14-2011, 07:30 PM   #1
mrsmothers

idle question

Well I am slowly fixing all the problems with my truck got the brakes fixed today. Now the next question is the truck will sometimes idle but most of the time you have to keep your foot on the gas it has the q jet on it. It also tries to stall out when you put it in to gear and it started back fireing a little bit this is the last thing stopping me from driving it. What should I do ?
mrsmothers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:21 PM   #2
hugger6933

Re: idle question

check for vaccum leaks around the base of the carb and intake with wd-40 or carb cleaner. spray it all around if the idle changes you have found your problem. You might need to turn the idle screw in a little bit to raise the idle so that you don't have to keep youre foot on it. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:22 PM   #3
cparman
sharp as a marble

Check the basics! Does your truck have points or electronic ignition? If you have points check the dwell with a meter 28-32 degrees dwell. Check the timing 6-10 BTDC? Then see if you can adjust the mixture screws on the carb. Turn each screw in UNTILL the truck starts to run worse. Then back them out until you hear the engine idle raise or improve. If you cannot do this then check for a vacuum leak. Put your hand over the front two barrels of the carb, trying to get it to stall, and see if the engine idle increases. if you do like someone else described and spray carb cleaner around the bas of the carb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmothers View Post
Well I am slowly fixing all the problems with my truck got the brakes fixed today. Now the next question is the truck will sometimes idle but most of the time you have to keep your foot on the gas it has the q jet on it. It also tries to stall out when you put it in to gear and it started back fireing a little bit this is the last thing stopping me from driving it. What should I do ?
cparman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 06:09 PM   #4
mrsmothers

Well I went out and messed with the truck a little bit today its back fireing more and more I sprayed wd40 around the base of the carb and it didnt help. The gas is running a little low could it be that I have water in my tank and its sucking it up? The reasion why i ask is because when I first got the truck running it ran on its own for 20 min with no problems not it wont stay running inless I have my foot on the gas and when it gets in higher rpms the backfireing starts. By higher I mean around 1500 to 2000 rpm this is driving me nuts and with out another pair of hands on it its very hard to get under the hood with it running.
mrsmothers is offline   Reply With Quote