The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-28-2003, 06:47 PM   #1
cojnit
Nothing clever

turn signal repair

anyone know if I need to take off the wheel to get to the parts?? I bought all of the parts today, just have no diagram, and I think the wheel is a pain in the azz to take off.
cojnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 07:26 PM   #2
71GMC_3/4T
Weapons Of Construction

Yes, you need to remove the wheel to service the turn signal switch. You will also probably end up pulling apart some of the dash to reach the connectors.
Removing the wheel isn't usually that bad. Remove the horn button cap. Loosen the nut with a socket (remove the safety clip if there is one). Leave the nut on with most of the threads engaged, like about 1/8" back from original position. Grasp the steering wheel at 3 and 9 o'clock. Plant your feet firmly on the floor and pull on the steering wheel while rocking it (pull away from the dash on the left, then right, repeat). It may come back easy or it may pop when it breaks loose and you will appreciate the fact that you left the nut there or your head would be stuck in the back window. After it breaks loose, remove the nut and the wheel. If it won't break loose easily, go to your local auto parts store and see if you can rent or borrow a steering wheel puller.
These trucks are easy since the key is in the dash. The newer vehicles have a lock ring that's a PITA to remove unless you have the right tools or a lot of patience and a helper.
Good Luck!
Old 06-28-2003, 08:57 PM   #3
jef5150
Inline 69

heres a little tip,,,,,,,,dis-connect your battery "first",,,,its not part of the process ,but you wont have to listen to the horn blow everytime you bump the ground wire while working on your signal assembly......
jef5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 09:48 PM   #4
GMC Jim

I removed my steering wheel to check on sloppy actuating turn signal lever....This caused intermittent operation of the turn signal... Found that the small screws that attached the turn signal lever were partially stripped from the plastic body.... Also, the body of the mechanism was cracked so that the cam would not move far enough to atuate the signals properly..... Using J-B weld; some small clamps and small wire around the portion of the mechanism holding the signal lever. After the J-B weld
had set up; checked the operation and was just fine...Did this over 10 years ago; and not a problem.....Jim
Old 06-28-2003, 10:50 PM   #5
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally posted by 71GMC_3/4T
If it won't break loose easily, go to your local auto parts store and see if you can rent or borrow a steering wheel puller.
Yes, or just buy one - I did many years ago and I think it was pretty cheap. Must have been in fact, or I wouldn't have bought it! You can always loan it out in exchange for beer!

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 12:37 AM   #6
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I have personally never been able to pull a G.M. steering wheel by hand, and if has been there for 10,20...30 years, it may not come off at all...even with the puller.
Don't let anyone tell you to beat the shaft with a hammer and brass drift, the poor desigh of the column along with the age will destroy the bearings in there. (ask me how I know)
Get the puller...rent or buy. It is a nice tool to have on hand, some models double as a harmonic balancer puller, and in a pinch, i have used one to remove the lower gear of a timing chain set off the crank snout. (inginuity kicks ass)
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 02:59 PM   #7
cojnit
Nothing clever

signals

I was unsuccesful trying to pull the wheel off with my hand. I went to the Kragen near me and they loan tools for free! got it all apart and fixed it all up nice, just cant seem to figure out how to put it back togehter. go tit all together except for the very top.

I cant seem to put the horn assembly back together right so that the horn doesn't blow non stop. I think it has something to do with the spring assembly and the thin metal plate along with the three screw horn cap holder. Can anyone outline how these are supposed to go back together?
Old 06-29-2003, 04:33 PM   #8
jef5150
Inline 69

ive got 3 different diagrams,,,,,#tilt, #2 column shift,and if you have a floor mounted shifter,theres 4 pieces omitted,,,,,,,,which one do you need
Old 06-29-2003, 10:09 PM   #9
cojnit
Nothing clever

column

column shift 3 speed/ non tilt
Old 06-30-2003, 12:15 AM   #10
jef5150
Inline 69

columnshift

hope it helps,,,,,,,
Attached Images

Old 06-30-2003, 01:05 AM   #11
cojnit
Nothing clever

thanks but...

it appears to not be detailed enough. ALTHOUGH BELIEVE ME I APPRECIATE THE EFFORT.