The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-20-2011, 04:58 PM   #1
John Gilbert

Need '67-72 Chevy & GMC colors for CCT Spotter's Guide

Alright I got up real early, and started drinking coffee (for the last 10 hours) so now its time to start working on the '67-72 C10 Spotter's Guide for the April 2011 issue of Custom Classic Trucks.

First it will appear in the print edition, and then it will get archived on CCT's website with a link to 67'72ChevyTrucks in the source box.

My first question is about paint options for both '67-72 Chevy and GMC trucks.

I've checked out the Auto Color Library's paint chips, but I really need to verify what I put into print.

I'm guessing White was the most common color, because that's what I remember seeing on the Chevy dealer's truck lots. Am I wrong? if so, which color was the most common?

I've owned Omaha Orange, and that was my favorite color until recently when started like Butternut with a white top.

What's your favorite factory color?

Which factory color is the rarest?

If anyone can add anything please chip in.

It's time for my nap, but I'll be back... Thank you.
John Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:11 PM   #2
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Re: Need '67-72 Chevy & GMC colors for CCT Spotter's Guide

John check out the following link as it will list all the colors available for each year for Chevrolet/GMC trucks, blazers and burbs. I'm not sure if you will be able to locate the number of trucks released in a specific color, because I doubt they retained that type of record during production.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/autocolorlibrary/ (EDIT - Just noticed that you used the same link I posted)

Also... if special ordered the factory would paint alternative colors on the trucks so you might receive some off the wall color options as well.

I've always liked: Ochre, Light Green (partial), Copper Poly, and Medium Olive

Happy fact hunting!

Name:  105_0041.jpg
Views: 1470
Size:  54.7 KB

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)

Last edited by 72BlckButy; 01-20-2011 at 05:15 PM.
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:36 PM   #3
CircusWagonJim

Since you just asked I'll tag on- I was just thinking last night of making a new post of "Rarest Colors and Combinations" - will be interesting to see what pops up!
I like the "Lemon & Lime" combo- but want to see the more obscure like Orange and Black. I don't see many "Dark Copper" like my '70 with original paint.
CircusWagonJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:57 PM   #4
John Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72BlckButy View Post
John check out the following link as it will list all the colors available for each year for Chevrolet/GMC trucks, blazers and burbs. I'm not sure if you will be able to locate the number of trucks released in a specific color, because I doubt they retained that type of record during production.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/autocolorlibrary/ (EDIT - Just noticed that you used the same link I posted)

Also... if special ordered the factory would paint alternative colors on the trucks so you might receive some off the wall color options as well.

I've always liked: Ochre, Light Green (partial), Copper Poly, and Medium Olive

Happy fact hunting!

Attachment 685329
Yeah it would be interesting, but I know you're right the prod figures for the most common color would be hard to find if it ever existed at all. Thanks for the help!
Old 01-20-2011, 07:04 PM   #5
John Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircusWagonJim View Post
Since you just asked I'll tag on- I was just thinking last night of making a new post of "Rarest Colors and Combinations" - will be interesting to see what pops up!
I like the "Lemon & Lime" combo- but want to see the more obscure like Orange and Black. I don't see many "Dark Copper" like my '70 with original paint.
Hey Jim, thanks for jumping in. I'm sure you know the story this Spotter's Guide has been something I've wanted to do for a long time, and now there's not a lot of time to do it. Maybe I should call this Part 1, and then get a job in another industry before I have to come up with Part II.

I remember a few trucks back in the day that had your dark copper... usually with a white top.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:14 PM   #6
KMACD71

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircusWagonJim View Post
Here's a link to thread about rarest colors:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=rarest+colors I think there are probably not too many Ice Coral Pink trucks out there.
KMACD71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:25 PM   #7
ls1nova71

I think the most popular original color may have been a regional thing, but around here for the '71-72's, medium olive green seems to be what I see, or had seen in the past, the most common.

But my favorite has to be medium blue and white, aslo pretty common.
Attached Images

ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:05 PM   #8
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

What's your favorite factory color? loves me some ochre and white.

Which factory color is the rarest? I think we came to the conclusion a few years ago that pink (only available in Canada iirc) was the "rarest". we have a board member that has a beautiful pink over white in Canada.

good luck, John!

THANK YOU to our American Soldiers & Veterans - POW MIA "You will NEVER be forgotten".

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson
tcb-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:19 PM   #9
jaros44sr

How about a poll...we could all plug in our body and interior color, year and make. Hell, we probably cornered the market

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:15 AM   #10
John Gilbert

Ready or not its time for me to start writing this thing, I sure appreciate the help you guys,

Thanks!