The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-20-2011, 08:56 PM   #1
gnstalodz

Darn california laws... Where can I buy bed liner now?

So the bed liners at kragens are pulled b/c of a new law passed. It wasn't good for the Ozone I hear?

Problem is I just got the wood for my 72 step side stained and finished. The bed sides and original metal strips are all beaten up.

What's another good/cheap method? I have a kid on the way and need to fix this truck up to sell it.

ps. dont worry. I'll be buying a 63 later
gnstalodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:35 PM   #2
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Re: Darn california laws... Where can I buy bed liner now?

Buy it online and have it shipped to your home?

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CDkQ8gIwBA#

Last edited by lakeroadster; 01-20-2011 at 09:36 PM.
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:44 AM   #3
blackedoutharley
Account Suspended

Buy it the next time you're in Reno ?
blackedoutharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:40 AM   #4
Russ65C10

My strips were rusted all up and all my bed wood was shot. I pound out my strips painted them with rustolum hammerd black, got a nice piece of hardwood plywood that I cut to the right widths using specs I got on line. Stained it will some stain my dad used to paint his garage with and bolted it all back in using gavinized hardware from Lowels. Cost about $100 looks great. I sealed it up using Lindseed oil. For the price it can't be beat.

I am sure a lot people will say that plywood will rot out in no time, but I drove the truck around for almost 15 years with a unfinished sheet of plywood for the bed floor before I got around to doing what just layed out for you.
Russ65C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:02 AM   #5
Vernski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ65C10 View Post
My strips were rusted all up and all my bed wood was shot. I pound out my strips painted them with rustolum hammerd black, got a nice piece of hardwood plywood that I cut to the right widths using specs I got on line. Stained it will some stain my dad used to paint his garage with and bolted it all back in using gavinized hardware from Lowels. Cost about $100 looks great. I sealed it up using Lindseed oil. For the price it can't be beat.

I am sure a lot people will say that plywood will rot out in no time, but I drove the truck around for almost 15 years with a unfinished sheet of plywood for the bed floor before I got around to doing what just layed out for you.
Nothing wrong with plywood most of it is made out of hard wood and with linseed on it will last longer than say pine will. Oak & maple maybe not. If your not building a show truck and it's a DD it doesn't matter if some look down there noses at it. It saved you money and that's a plus in this"O"conemy...Vernski
Vernski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:07 AM   #6
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernski View Post
Nothing wrong with plywood most of it is made out of hard wood and with linseed on it will last longer than say pine will. Oak & maple maybe not. If your not building a show truck and it's a DD it doesn't matter if some look down there noses at it. It saved you money and that's a plus in this"O"conemy...Vernski
x3... I used pressure treated 3/4" plywood, then threw a heavy rubber bed mat over it. Makes all the sense in the world for a DD.

Another case of form following function.
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:58 AM   #7
kieth

I gought #2 yellow pine for $56.00 from a lumber yard here in Tulsa, Ok painted it with chasis saver black looks fine to me what do you think ?

http://kieth.smugmug.com/Trucks/66-G...83248339_rLQkT

after paint:
http://kieth.smugmug.com/Trucks/66-G...56429441_bZsJq

now your only problem is the metal strips i got mine form Mar -K
kieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:51 PM   #8
neto

I'm in the process of putting a TBI engine in my 66. What pump are you using and the shift point on the transmission. I have the same linkage, did you shorten it? Sorry for taking this thread another way. I went yesterday as a matter of fact to get the liner kit but was told it was gone.
neto is offline   Reply With Quote