The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-21-2011, 07:55 PM   #1
paul63c10

P/S question

In my 63 it has an aftermarket power steering kit on it. not sure what kind... but it seems really loose. (very easy to turn) Is there a way to stiffen it up a bit more?
paul63c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:35 PM   #2
Heater63

Re: P/S question

Sure, Convert it back to manual!
Just kidding.

Perhaps it is a Close ratio box with less turns lock to lock?
I would talk to a box rebuilding outfit to find out if pressure can be regulated, either with drive pulley diameter, internal changes, or external device.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Heater63; 01-21-2011 at 09:39 PM.
Heater63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:44 PM   #3
paul63c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heater63 View Post
Sure, Convert it back to manual!
Just kidding.

Perhaps it is a Close ratio box with less turns lock to lock?
I would talk to a box rebuilding outfit to find out if pressure can be regulated, either with drive pulley diameter, internal changes, or external device.
Posted via Mobile Device
bahaha... not a chance in

it's so loose it find myself correcting constantly whiling driving down the road with brand new tires! i was hoping there was a pressure regulating on it to tone down. (maybe aircraft knowledge is clouding my views)
Old 01-21-2011, 10:27 PM   #4
impalaboy9

Not sure if I understand your question correctly but it could be one of several things. If there is play in the steering wheel then there is an adjustment on your steering box usually. There is usually a nut with an allen wrench fitting on top. I believe the nut is reverse threaded and you tighten the allen wrench fitting. Be careful over adjustment will make so your steering wheel will not "come back" after a turn. Otherwise sounds like you may have some warn linkage that needs new bushings. Hope that helps. P.S. I have never had much luck adjusting a steering box and usually ended up replacing it. Column may need rebuilt but I think the old ones are pretty solid and generally dont have that problem.
impalaboy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:36 PM   #5
paul63c10

when i turn i can hear a creaking sound. it sounds like a bell really inside the cab. when i have the wheel full turn. and it clicks here and there. any more thought to it?
Old 01-22-2011, 12:01 AM   #6
fleetsidelarry
Senior Car Nut

are you saying that there's a lot of play in the steering wheel (when the motor isn't running) and noise in the column? Or are you saying that the power assist turns the wheels really easily (when the motor is running)?

if its number 1 above, have someone turn the steering wheel left and right while you watch the shaft and the various components: tie rod ends, pitman arm, drag link and idler arm for play. if the gear box is worn, most of the movement will be in the shaft as it enters the box. Also, the are upper and lower bearings in the column. can you move the steering wheel up and down in the column?

have you checked to see if the box is loose?

Last edited by fleetsidelarry; 01-22-2011 at 12:05 AM.
fleetsidelarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:44 AM   #7
Heater63

Exclamation Re: P/S question

Larry is right, check this immediately! You are describing a worn box or a box that may be about to rip out of the frame. A frame reinforcing plate is required for this conversion, make sure you are not about to have a catastrophic failure!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-22-2011, 10:52 AM   #8
onequickchevy

Definitely check what they said, but mine had the same issue. Its like the assist was working too good. Mine slings the belt off of it at the track so I just quit putting the belt back on until I can change out the bracket.

Quick Google search and I found this, some guy named Mark Price gets the credit:

It's very easy to alter the pressure output of the G.M. pumps! You simply pull the high pressure hose,remove the big nut that it goes into, then pull out the spring and the little valve that is in there. When you look at this valve you will see that there is a nut on one end. This is the tricky part as you must VERY Carefully secure the valve in a vise and remove the nut. Being real cautious not to bend or damage the valve or it's machined surfaces in any way!

Once you get the nut off, you'll find that there are one or more thin washers under this nut. These washers are what determines the pressure output of the pump. Add washers to decrease pressure, and improve road feel, take away washers to increase pressure, and remove road feel. You can get washers from any off the G.M. P/S pumps ,be it old or new style. The washers are the same. simply adjust the pressure to your liking by feel. The only danger is too much pressure will damgae the box, so I'd stack some extra washers on the valve then remove them till you get it where you like it. I've got a whole crap load of washers added to the pump in the American as I didn't realy want much assist, just the quicker steering ratio of the power box.

Last edited by onequickchevy; 01-22-2011 at 10:56 AM.
onequickchevy is offline   Reply With Quote